Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just hooked up my 40” LED light bar on the front. I have a !0” that I am moving to the back for a back up light. What I would like to know is if I could Hook up both lights to one toggle switch with a on off on or do I need the 2 switches. Also with all the add ons that need power should I add a buss bar? And do they make a buss bar that lets power through when the key is turned on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use blue seas fuse blocks to wire all my accessories in with. I wire it direct to the battery. That on off on switch should work great for what your wanting to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You really should have a relay for the light bar. 20+ amps for a switch is pushing it and you will see an arc. You can use power from the aux connector or tap into the voltage for the cig lighter as power through the switch to the relay. The relay should come directly from the battery through a fuze. Recommend a bus bar like this one.
Blue Seas 5028 B 6 Position Fuse Block with Cover Blue Sea Fuse Holder | eBay

Depending on the amps of the backup light, it should be able to be handled through the switch. Use a switch panel like this one - Can Am Six Switch Panel Dash Console Plate Commander Maverick XRS x XT | eBay and have fun with the switches.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I too have a separate fuse block for all my add-ons, makes wiring easy and no surprises

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The way I have them wired is with 2 wiring harness. One form ridged and the other is generic. Direct to the battery using there harness with relays. What I would like to do is go down to just one switch and maybe even just one wiring harness to run both lights if that is even possible. But what I have for a switch is a 3 post on off on. Will I need to go to a 6 post switch to achieve the 2 lights on one switch? As you can see Im not a electrician by any means. And I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The 40" and the 10" together will draw more current than the typical 20 amp switch will handle. So you will need a relay for each light bar for what I propose. Use the single switch to energize the relays. A single DPDT center off switch can be used for both lights.The switch will allow you to either turn the 40" on or both at the same time with center being off. Feed +12VDC to both center poles of the switch. Use one side for the 40" relay coil and the other side for the 10" relay coil. On the 40" side jumper both outer poles together and then a wire to the relay coil. The 10" side you just use one pole to the coil. The power for the actual lights will be from what ever you choose for primary power thru fusing or breakers for each light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts