Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up a new Maverick in March and I keep reading about belts going bad etc because of driver error. I want to make sure I'm driving this thing right to avoid any problems that could arise because I did something wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just read other posts about running it before and after a hard ride. Saw a guy with a new Max at Glamis who tried to go after running it hard, turning it off, then trying to hit it after five min. These is also another post on temp gauge for the CVT under 20 bucks, if you want to make sure you keep the belt cool.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Depends on the terrain you ride. It's always good advice for you to learn your machine before you beat it up. Learn what it can & can not do and no one can really tell you that.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I must have replied 5 times on this exact question this month. ride it like you stole it, go by the belt break in, then go for it. imagine what would make you extremely hot and what would cool you down. if you ran hard up hills and its warm day, you would be hot, so a slow run to cool off a little before shutting iy off would work, thousand miles and original belt don't sweat it, just ride it, its really highly over rated on belt breaks for most people with bone stock machines and proper belt break in.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the replies but "ride it like you stole it" seems to be the reason for guys breaking stuff lol. I understand the after running it hard don't just shut it off cruise for a bit to cool it down concept. I daily drive a diesel truck so I pretty much live by that standard of letting everything cool before shutting it down. What Im looking for is when to use low over high or vice versa? Thanks again for the replies and sorry for the newb questions. After I get my Maverick and figure it all out I hope to be one of the gang on here and possibly help out a newb later on.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I appreciate the replies but "ride it like you stole it" seems to be the reason for guys breaking stuff lol. I understand the after running it hard don't just shut it off cruise for a bit to cool it down concept. I daily drive a diesel truck so I pretty much live by that standard of letting everything cool before shutting it down. What Im looking for is when to use low over high or vice versa? Thanks again for the replies and sorry for the newb questions. After I get my Maverick and figure it all out I hope to be one of the gang on here and possibly help out a newb later on.
Sounds like you know how to take care of your equipment and can listen to what your vehicle is telling you. Same applies here. Listen to the engine, if you are going slow and are loading up the engine all the time, use low range. It will be easier on the clutches and belt....if you are climbing steep hills or in deep mud or crawling over rocks, use low range. Most everything else, high range is the ticket.......

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Make sure you seat the rings properly would be my first concern. The belt comes second. Find a place where you can run in all gears, varying the RPMs and not idling too long. Ran mine 10-15 minutes hard with 15 minute cool downs for an entire day. Check operation of 2x4, 4x4, sport mode and max RPMs .Filler up with ethanol free premium. Don't haul or tow anything for the first 30-40 miles.
Check to make sure clutch has nut on primary not bolt head. Don't be trying wheelies or riding brake and gas at the same time and you should be fine.
Oh and respect this thing cause it will scare the bejesus out of you the first time you ride it

·
Registered
292 Posts
When your mav look in the owners manual. There is a section on the do's and don'ts when it comes to the belt. If I had of read it I would have saved a belt. Most of the time people burn a belt from doing little stupid things.( I know I have). As far as low or high, if the machine is in a bind then you need to be in low.
example:My buddy was using the throttle to keep from rolling backwards down a little incline while he held a conversation. After a minute or two smoke began rolling. This would considered a little stupid thing.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
You just have to use your head for something other than a helmet rack and you will be all set. A little common sense goes a long way. My rule of thumb is if the trail keeps me under 30mph, it is time for low range. Break in your belt properly, and just think "is this going to be hard on my drive train" before you commit to doing anything. Put your tires over obstacles instead of bouncing off of them and you won't bend tie rods or wipe out your steering rack. If you drive it like it is indestructible, you will break stuff. If you think ahead, you won't. They are really tough machines, but they are still a machine, so there are always going to be limitations. Act accordingly and have fun!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now that you have the basics, you can only learn more by riding it. It will teach you what it likes to do and what it doesnt but that only happens while riding. Have fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts