Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded to the ct race worx tie rods when I got this thing in 14, and the outer ends need to be replaced.
I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to turn what or what part I should be gripping.
I’ve searched this forum for an hour and I’ve watched a ton of YouTube vids about other ones, but most of the vids show the new ends coming w the new kit.
From what little i think I understand, there is a jam nut at the end of the tie rod. I should be able to loosen that and then unscrew the end. But I’ve seen that some of these are right hand thread and some left and my mind is tired.
Can anyone walk me through this basic task I can’t figure out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put a crescent on the left indent (left circle) and loosen the jamb nut on the nut (right circle). The end should untreated easily. If not, pit a random bolt in the end and get some leverage until it pops. Shouldn't take much force (if any). Be sure not to gouge the sleeve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed response! That is one of the ways I tried, but with just two adjustable wrenchs. Probably need to find something bigger.

when I would turn it, I’d turn the whole Tie rod instead, so I backed off.

Am I going to turn the jam nut right or left?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response! That is one of the ways I tried, but with just two adjustable wrenchs. Probably need to find something bigger.

when I would turn it, I’d turn the whole Tie rod instead, so I backed off.

Am I going to turn the jam nut right or left?
they are directional. driver side should be normal, passenger should be reversed threads. could have it backwards since the beverages are already flowing here. from the pic it looks like counterclockwise is the way you need to go

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of that makes so much more sense now that I finally got it done. I did end up needing to buy a 23mm and 24mm, one held the rod, the other held the lock nut.

I tried it using two adjustable wrenches and just couldn't get it to not slip. I sure didn't want to damage them. Now to just get the alignment all fixed up. I should be close- I used the tip to count how many turns to get the old one off, then count them as I put the new one on.

Thanks for all of the help, gentlemen!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts