Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

How did you add a stereo? Roof or dash mount?

13K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  bud 
#1 ·
I am still trying to decide on a stereo and a roof for our new XXC we are picking up tomorrow. Get an aluminum roof and mount the stereo in the dash with speaker pods on roll cage or get an all in one top with stereo and speakers installed in roof?

What do you have in yours?
What do you recommend?
Do you have pics of your install?
How does it sound?
Did you have a problem with the alternator?
Did you have to add or upgrade your battery?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I use an Ipod, so much easier to install and works awesome.

Reactions: plumdrum
#3 ·
I used some wake tower speakers from eBay $100
a cheap amp from Walmart $50-$60
rca to 3.5mm adapter and some speaker wire from Walmart
Mounted the amp under the glovebox and the speakers to the cage. Used phone for music. Less that $200 in the whole system.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a similar set up, tower speakers, amp under the glovebox.. I have xm radio mounted on the dash with a 3.5mm split, one to amp and one to my pci communication radio. Its always playing in my helmet speakers and the tower speakers but I have an on off switch on the dash for the amp under the glovebox, when im stopped I just flip on the amp. Vehicle Center console Car Technology Steering wheel
Vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

#7 · (Edited)
I went with the Kicker PXi50.2 and love it. Mounted the amp in the glove box and the remote swith panel in the dash. The switch panel is completely sealed and waterproof with large backlit buttons that are easy to use with gloves on. My speakers are Kicker marine speakers mounted in home made fiberglass boxes.
Electronic device Technology Gadget Battery charger Mobile phone charger

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Windshield Auto part

Vehicle Luxury vehicle Wheel Car Tire

Made a mount that holds the otter box belt clip so I can snap the phone in and out
Light Darkness Sky Night Room

#10 ·
I have looked at the Kicker amp setup before. Nice piece of equipment.

What I was thinking is have my local dealer get the audiformz top with no equipment and install kicker amp with polk 6.5 speakers in roof and a wake speaker pods with Polks in them as well. What about power to run the extra's? How much output does the alternator have on the XXC? Will the stock batter hold up or do I need to add on or change the stock to yellow top or something similar?

#11 ·
Went with the ssv sub and separates with 4channel amp.
Feed it with the bluetooth controller so my phone stays in my pocket. The controller does volume and pause/play
Works 25 ft away so it's nice to change songs by the fire.

#12 · (Edited)
No need for a traditional radio for me, I don't want to hear commercials while riding. I installed a Wet Sounds Bluetooth controller, JL bass gain controller and system power switch mounted on the dash (pictured). Also installed SSV works lower pods with JL sub and Fosgate coaxes for the front sound and modified versa pods with with JL coaxes for the rear (Max). My passengers and I have ears that face forward, so all speakers face the ears. 700 watt JL marine amp mounted under the starboard rear seat.

Very happy which the results of this system. Its very clear and loud with about as precise and accurate sound as you can get in a sxs for around $1500. Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Auto part Rim Automotive tire Audio equipment Vehicle

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Auto part City car Family car

#13 ·
No need for a traditional radio for me, I don't want to hear commercials while riding. I installed a Wet Sounds Bluetooth controller, JL bass gain controller and system power switch mounted on the dash (pictured). Also installed SSV works lower pods with JL sub and Fosgate coaxes for the front sound and modified versa pods with with JL coaxes for the rear (Max). My passengers and I have ears that face forward, so all speakers face the ears. 700 watt JL marine amp mounted under the starboard rear seat.

Very happy which the results of this system. Its very clear and loud with about as precise and accurate sound as you can get in a sxs for around $1500.
Nice setup! Do you have any issues with battery drain> Can the alternator keep up? Are you running your stock battery?

#17 ·

froghead 4 speaker overhead unit with speakers and amp with ipod holder

secondary Rockford fosgate amp for sub

ssv subwoofer enclosure

sub controller

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.