Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2020 X3 turbo 120hp. My brother has the turbo rr and is looking to upgrade his setup and will give me all his stock parts. So my question is what kind of numbers could I achieve with the stock rr turbo and intercooler. I’m thinking tune, fuel pump, and injectors I should be able to reach mid 200s correct? Any input is welcome thank you!!

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
doubt it. Is your brother buying new turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler, tubes, injectors, fuel pump and air box? Plus the RR motors have engine internal upgrades.

You will also need exhaust with cat delete at minimum to go above 200HP and clutching will also need to be addressed

·
Registered
955 Posts
doubt it. Is your brother buying new turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler, tubes, injectors, fuel pump and air box? Plus the RR motors have engine internal upgrades.

You will also need exhaust with cat delete at minimum to go above 200HP and clutching will also need to be addressed
What are the internal upgrades? And are they the 18/19 172hp models also lacking the internal upgrades?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
lower compression pistons....
put the rr turbo on a 120 motor will make more power than a stock rr
so you will need a special tune
with the correct tune it should make like 225hp @20psi
you will need good 93+ fuel

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
The 2020 - 21 RR are better motors, with all the goodies on mine I am around 250 HP on e-85. Like Chris said a 120 can be built up like the 17-19 174 HP motor but beyond that will need a ton more to get where I am at and still wont have the better internals.

Up to 220hp range with stock turbo on a 17-19 is pretty safe if you do e-85. If you want more then that it starts getting expensive and you have to decide do you even need it? At 250hp I have way more then I typically need and the only place you want all of it is in a race as there is nothing at Sand mnt nevada, St anthony, dumont, glamis, winnemucca etc.. that I cant do and usually I let off or dont even need more then 3/4 throttle. With 200hp you can dune like a pro all day long and transition anything, depending on driver skill of course.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Are the internal upgrades just lower compression pistons? Better rods, crank, or any other upgrades in the bottom end?

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
yes pistons on engine, but it also has much better air box, bigger inter cooler, bigger turbo, better exhaust manifold and a different clutch tune to tie it all together. I don't know if they did anything to the bottom end. I helped install a 2020 take out motor into another forum members 17'XRS. His car smashed at Sand mnt Nevada for Halloween but it also has a ton of other parts including big turbo also on e-85

Reactions: HyPerf

·
Registered
955 Posts
Do you know how much they dropped the compression by?
I wish i could have made Halloween this year even though I heard it was a zoo.
I knew they upgradded a bunch of the bolt on stuff but this was the first time i heard they did anything to the interals.
I never need all the power my stock 2019 makes EXCEPT sand mt

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Do you know how much they dropped the compression by?
I wish i could have made Halloween this year even though I heard it was a zoo.
I knew they upgradded a bunch of the bolt on stuff but this was the first time i heard they did anything to the interals.
I never need all the power my stock 2019 makes EXCEPT sand mt
The hills on the back when we run the chutes def need power to high hill them or do a full climb to get on the ridge but you have to have balls and a fresh belt and hope to god there is no traffic, you didn't miss anything other then the weather was perfect this year

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
stock motor can do about 30psi ...yes stock
with fuel upgrades
stock motor can handle all the tiny rr turbo can make
if you have e85 available near you, its the best fuel
but a 20psi 93+ pump fuel tunes are available
brp dropped the comp because the tiny turbos make boost so fast
and like to rattle around 7000rmp at full boost

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys, although I have no plans for anything past a pump gas tune im always interested in engine stuff.
Do you guys know how much larger the new turbo is?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
not much think the rr is 4mm bigger wheel
and the important part is the exhaust is also bigger/ better flow

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the 2021 turbo R have the internal upgrades too, or is it just the base with an intercooler? I just ordered a turbo R max. I don't think I will need much more than 172 hp but just curious

·
Registered
955 Posts
Does the 2021 turbo R have the internal upgrades too, or is it just the base with an intercooler? I just ordered a turbo R max. I don't think I will need much more than 172 hp but just curious
Looked up and ome part numbers and the turbo and pistons are different numbers between the r and rr couldn't find a difference in the intercooler but that doesnt mean its not different

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Looked up and ome part numbers and the turbo and pistons are different numbers between the r and rr couldn't find a difference in the intercooler but that doesnt mean its not different
If it's actually the same part# it's the same part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts