Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a holtz steering rack brace/gusset, good thing to have for only $35 bucks, especially if u have big tires, race or have aftermarket tie rods ,

super easy install , (5) 13mm bolts , remove the black inner fender guards , I left out the washers on the brace side for the bolts to grab more of the thread , I had to remove my upper a-arm brace to gain access to bolts !

fits like a glove and Im sure would work on all aftermarket steering racks if its the same 5 bolt set up !

Holz Racing Products \ CanAm Maverick Accessories

pic's b4 and after ! holt.jpg ho.jpg ffgg.jpg holyt.jpg photo.jpg

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the looks of the stock mounting plate this gusset is a no branier good thing to beef up ! :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
by the looks of the stock mounting plate this gusset is a no branier good thing to beef up ! :)
I was wondering why it was needed,but now I get it. cheap ass thin metal stock support.
Is this a replacement part or an add-on to existing support?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering why it was needed,but now I get it. cheap ass thin metal stock support.
Is this a replacement part or an add-on to existing support?
add on just like a front gusset , its a great part !

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
another dang item to buy. well at least its not very expensive

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Has there been any actual cases of steering rack damage due to a lack of support?

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Has there been any actual cases of steering rack damage due to a lack of support?
Not that I'm aware of and I'll be going on my third rack soon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mostly from what I can remember its on the lifted bikes. Seen a couple racks snap in half from the mounting bracket flexing. I added a Holtz bracket when up graded to my rackzilla for extra insurance.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup , for $35 bucks its a no brainer , better safe then sorry!

and that's how people prolly break racks and don't even know it , the mounting plate flexing

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Boy, these things must not have been tested very hard or Im sure these problems would have shown up then.
Maybe BRP made changes from the test units.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol - its more for that one time u had a beer and floored at and landed wrong , this could save u , lol

or if ur a hard core racer . why not add it,

no- its not a section that will fail with normal driving condition, ! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Back when we were racing the Commander, there was a time when the steering rack bolts pulled right through the frame. We drove right off the track before we realized there was no steering :)
That's what motivated us to build this brace.

We see many similarities between the Maverick steering and Commander steering (shortcomings). We're not going to wait for it to be a problem, we just proceeded to build some new braces for the Mav.
It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Will this help from braking a steering rack when adding stringer tie rods
Our brace will help prevent the steering rack form twisting. I would recommend the brace regardless if you have aftermarket or stock tie rods, or rack and pinion.
We can't put a guarantee on the terrain you drive on, but we consider this part a must have for addressing common concerns with the steering components.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just ordered mine like everyone is saying its cheap insurance so why not buy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts