Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys that done it or seen the Inside of a maverick cat , is it as easy as unbolting the cat set up and punching them out ? Easy to get in the one side but not the other ? Does it just fall out after breaking it up or stuck on the sides ? Will it all come out easy so u won't clog the mufflers ? Thx

·
Registered
964 Posts
You don't have to cut or weld it. Unbolt it from the big resonator chamber and knock it out and bolt it back up, I haven't done it, but I have taken the exhaust apart. The huge canister is the resonator the small part before it is the cat.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You don't have to cut or weld it. Unbolt it from the big resonator chamber and knock it out and bolt it back up, I haven't done it, but I have taken the exhaust apart. The huge canister is the resonator the small part before it is the cat.
Really? I would have guessed the other way around.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes please pics mega !!

So those big can things are not the cats the cat is only at the end where it goes into 1 and back out to two outlets ?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YES!!!! The big cans are hollow, they act as resonators...
cool man thx

did u feel that the part u knocked out of the cat , was blocking off the air flow pretty good ? or u don't see it blocking much air flow

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just got done removing the cat. Real easy to get off machine,a little harder cutting out the tin inside. It takes some work but comes out. Maybe some have better tools for it than others i just used hammer long screwdriver and tin snips. No real difference in sound seems to smell a little more and no codes yet. Sorry no SOP dyno yet.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I decided rather than mess with this thing,I'll just install a new muzzy.
However, I will be keep the stock set up just in case barney the law man wants to hassle me.

I got a smokin deal on the Muzzy and the digi-tune. Muzzy didnt have the black mufflers in stock.
So I went elsewhere and saved $ 225.00. SWEET!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I made cat delete pipes rather then to "break out" the cat. A little louder, but no power gains.

You wont get a check engine light cause the 02s are in front of the cat.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It definately seems to rev more freely now.
when u removed the insides, did it seem like the stock cat restricted the flow u think ? thx

tight honeycomb ? but straight thru ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yup. Tight and would probably get worse over time. Glad i did it easy mod and in no way the cat would help performace also noticing less heat now from that area. Someone should take a temp reading before and after. Exhaust i think is a little more throat to it as well.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am doing that this Friday. It sounds easy. As long as the cat is metal I can weld I will cut it open, rip out guts and weld it shut.
u still gonna do this, looks like its just the other end not those big cans funny I allways thought the big cans were the cats but its the other end and its a small cat !

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
u still gonna do this, looks like its just the other end not those big cans funny I allways thought the big cans were the cats but its the other end and its a small cat !
No, working 10 hours today. Only good thing is Friday is all overtime.

Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, working 10 hours today. Only good thing is Friday is all overtime.

Hopefully tomorrow.
overtime is good ! more maverick parts, lol

ok let us know how u make out !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts