Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have basciakky searched everywhere and do not see any good info on suspension setup for riders like me. i trail ride and enjoy knarly hill climbs more then anything. all the supspension settings i see anywhere are for dune or dessert riding and none for the trail. i set my shocks to fox setting as soon as i bought the machine. if this setting seems to be a dessert or dune setting and not very good for hill climbing as the front end seems to raise like crazy which is no no in major hill climbs. does anyone have any insight on a good suspension setup for stock xrs shocks?? yes i know shock therapy and many others and that will be something to get down the road if they show it helps for anything other then dune and dessert riding. currently have a stage 4int pwrtune, velocity intake, KWI x36 clutching, powertune BOV. it can be a hill killer but i know theres room to adjust these better for my riding over fox or factory settings. any input much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I get the impression you are an east coast guy. If you want super soft suspension, you have to revalve the shock pistons and bypass tubes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no looking to be to soft. it already with fox settings seems to have to much roll when you hammer down on a steep hill feels like it wants to do a backflip and thats not a good feeling.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd just stiffen up the shocks by lowering the ride height rings and move the cross overs lower.
From there you can play around with the hi/low dampening adjustments.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’m kinda in the same boat as you. We like to shoot hills but I have been so busy at work seat time has been lacking. I did however increase the ride height in the rear to 16 1/2 “ and take 3 clicks of rebound out of all four shocks from the fox setting. It helped but I haven’t had a day to kill some hills and play with it. Problem is when you find something that doesn’t work, it could end bad on a nasty hill. I also ditched the front sway bar. Let the front do its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
no looking to be to soft. it already with fox settings seems to have to much roll when you hammer down on a steep hill feels like it wants to do a backflip and thats not a good feeling.
Raise the rear ride height. Maybe even lower xover to stiffen up sooner. I was spooked on the first hill I climbed. Coming from a four link rear setup on my old LJ that actually had just a bit of anti-squat this is puzzling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not surprising that a mid engine (rear engine?) SXS would feel a little tippy going up a steep hill, all your weight is in the ass end. That is why I love my Honda Rubicon so much, its weighted exactly 50/50 between the front/rear. Buddies of mine have Yamaha or Can Am's ATV's and the weight distribution is not exactly 50/50 and you can tell on steep declines/inclines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you set your rebound to 16 clicks out from full closed instead of the fox reccomended 20 clicks? my xovers a about 1/4 to 1/2 inch softer then the fox specs called for in rear and that much stiffer up front. didnt think it was enough adjustment to make a difference so i left them where they were.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i let rebound stock and set the rest close to fox setting. I just changed to 12 rebound all around and dont like it. i ride real rocky stuff and do alot of hill climbing and sofar so good. Mine nvr feels tipsy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts