Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have hid lighting, do you just have low beam hid's, two sets of hid lights for the low and high beams, or do you have the telescoping hid's? If I were to put hid's in the low and high beam spots I would have to have 4 ballasts instead of two. Just wondering what the best way to do it is...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Highs and lows. 4 different ballasts. They are brighter than stock but i can't tell they are on when I have the 40" Totron on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the same setup as above. I went with higher wattage HID's in the high beams (55w I believe) and 35 watt in the low beams. Night and day difference from stock. The totron 40" is super bright, but the HIDs do make a difference unless the headlights get mud dried on them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have them on both lo and hi beams as well. Excellent upgrade from stock, and a must do mod in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I put 35 watts on the low and 55 watts on the high. Mine is having issues. Highs turn off almost instantly and the lows work most of the time.

They all worked for the 1st 5 hours and its been all downhill from there.

Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have just lows on mine I would never trust Hid's for both! Trust me I sell them I manage a car audio store we did more Hid warranty than anything we sell.in fact about five years ago I decided to stop selling them at all five of my stores as It was costing the company too much money.We switched to Sylvania last year with there Pro ballast and have had much better luck with them.they are great to have but would never night ride only relying on Hid

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you can swing it, I would just do a 40" totron cree bar. They are really bright and easy to install

·
Registered
713 Posts
I put 35 watts on the low and 55 watts on the high. Mine is having issues. Highs turn off almost instantly and the lows work most of the time.

They all worked for the 1st 5 hours and its been all downhill from there.

Anybody got any ideas?
You need to wire in a relay, that will resolve this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have just lows on mine I would never trust Hid's for both! Trust me I sell them I manage a car audio store we did more Hid warranty than anything we sell.in fact about five years ago I decided to stop selling them at all five of my stores as It was costing the company too much money.We switched to Sylvania last year with there Pro ballast and have had much better luck with them.they are great to have but would never night ride only relying on Hid
Stop buying the cheap ones. I have sold over 1000 sets oh HIDs since 2008 and have only warranties a few due to failure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You need to wire in a relay, that will resolve this issue.

I would think it's either improperly installed or bad ballasts, as the ballasts should not draw any more current than the factory halogen lights. If you have to wire in a relay you have another problem, if you used a kit designed where the ballast plugs into your factory light harness.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Stop buying the cheap ones. I have sold over 1000 sets oh HIDs since 2008 and have only warranties a few due to failure.

So far so good on mine. Got a couple of Xentec kits off eBaly, the same type I've used many times in the past with good results. They were direct plug and play and work really well. However, next purchase will definitely be a 40" Totron light bar!

·
Registered
713 Posts
So far so good on mine. Got a couple of Xentec kits off eBaly, the same type I've used many times in the past with good results. They were direct plug and play and work really well. However, next purchase will definitely be a 40" Totron light bar!

Good luck with those Scott. The Xentec are usually the cheapest and least reliable HIDs you can buy. More so the canned ballasts from Xentec are junk. If you bought the slim xentec ballast then you will be OK but the actual lights aren't very good. The company I buy HIDs is the same place I have been using since 2008. They make a high quality bulb which is brighter then pretty much any other Chinese brand.

I got out of the HID game because people didn't want quality they wanted the cheap crap and thought my stuff was over priced. I was selling a complete kit 2x35watt/2x55watt for 119.99 plus 11.00 for shipping. 1 year Warranty for what I consider the best kit you can buy.

I sold my Rhino in 2010 to a friend of mine, he is still using the same HIDs I installed in 09 when I bought it and that Rhino gets thrashed. I even sponsored Avid, Mikes (Ignore Amos) race team for a while, which BTW is a very cool guy and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think $120 is not a bad price for reliable set of low and high beam HIDs. I have seen cheaper which is why I have not bought some yet because I want to know more about them.

So which brand should be considered for purchase?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think $120 is not a bad price for reliable set of low and high beam HIDs. I have seen cheaper which is why I have not bought some yet because I want to know more about them.

So which brand should be considered for purchase?
It's a great price, the problem is to compete with the all crap lighting I had to lower my prices so low that the profit margin wasn't worth the trouble anymore. Ebay was where I sold most my stuff but now they are so expensive to sell through its lame. Paired with Paypal and the new shipping charge they take 15% and when you are already marked down 30% the profit is next to nothing. Its a shame because these are the best lights you can buy even at 130.00.

I have been looking around and I can't find where you can publicly purchase from my vendor. I will check on Monday. If they won't sell to the public maybe we can do a deal for the forums which of course I will become a vendor before I do.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Ok, I remember your Ebay ad. I went back to buy them one day and saw the Ebay ad gone. I remember desertdog recommending the set. It was the only complete low and high beam seat being sold anywhere that I could find.

Ebay is getting too expensive to sell. I sold a few softball bats and electronic stuff on there. That 15% is substantial so much so that I usually sell on Craigslist and resort to Ebay only if I can't sell it locally.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts