Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am interested in buying HID lights for both my low and high beams. I was going to purchase 35 watt 5000k HIDs for the low beam and 55Watt 5000k HIDs for the high beam. I thought this route was a cheaper alternative to the LED bars but still get brighter lighting. Well after doing some research I found out that HIDs installed as aftermarket are not DOT approved. If the HIDs came installed from the factory then they are DOT approved. Several websites that specialize in HIDs have put this statement out on their website I suppose for legal reason.

Has anyone been given a ticket or warning from the police on HIDs? I suppose a cop wouldn't bother you unless your HIDs were too bright and putting glare in oncoming driver's eyes.

I plan to make my Maverick street legal so maybe I just put HIDs for the high beam only.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you have your HIDs on and pointed at a cop you will more then likely get a ticket. If you had your low beams on only I doubt they would bother.

Do 6000k, they match LED Light bars perfectly. Ebay has several good options. Search

can-am maverick HID

Dennis

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check ebay. I saw one particular seller who is advertising a HID set (35 watt and 55 watt) specifically for the Maverick/Commander for like $120 I think. I have been researching VVME and DDM Tuning. They seem to have decent feedback from what I read on the Commander forum. DDM Tuning even offers lifetime warranty. Both companies are much cheaper than the ebay seller I mention.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had the DDM 35w and 55w set up. The 35w are still way too brite to run on the street. I took them out and just run the 55w in the hi beams.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you couldn't aim the beam low enough to prevent oncoming driver blindness?

This is what I was afraid of. I may just do exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I did check ebay. I saw one particular seller who is advertising a HID set (35 watt and 55 watt) specifically for the Maverick/Commander for like $120 I think. I have been researching VVME and DDM Tuning. They seem to have decent feedback from what I read on the Commander forum. DDM Tuning even offers lifetime warranty. Both companies are much cheaper than the ebay seller I mention.
Yep you can save a few bucks with DDM Tuning, I know them well. They are cheap and you get what you pay for. The lifetime warranty is BS, read it. You pay for shipping to ship the bad bulb back and you pay for shipping to have the new bulb shipped. Find that thread on the commander forums, it cost one guy 45 bucks to get a 15 dollar bulb replaced. No one offers true lifetime bulb replacement it's impossible. There is always a catch.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep you can save a few bucks with DDM Tuning, I know them well. They are cheap and you get what you pay for. The lifetime warranty is BS, read it. You pay for shipping to ship the bad bulb back and you pay for shipping to have the new bulb shipped. Find that thread on the commander forums, it cost one guy 45 bucks to get a 15 dollar bulb replaced. No one offers true lifetime bulb replacement it's impossible. There is always a catch.
Yea I did read something about that but most of the ebay sellers don't give much detail about their product. I don't like buying anything that there is very little info on.

Who do you recommend or have good experience with?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok that is the guy selling the 35 watt and 55 watt as a set (all 4 headlights). He doesn't sell just the 55 watt only kit. Did you buy the 4 light set?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ok that is the guy selling the 35 watt and 55 watt as a set (all 4 headlights). He doesn't sell just the 55 watt only kit. Did you buy the 4 light set?
Yes I have that exact set. The 35w/55w combo is perfect for the commander/maverick upgrade. The 55watt bulb in the low beam is too bright and diffuses. If you use the 35watt bulb in the low beam its a perfect blend when you have both hi/lo on. I tested it on my commander and maverick, the 35watt in the Low Beam is a better combo plus if you are adding light bars and other accessories if saves you 40 watts of stator energy. Tell him I sent you and he will throw in an extra 35/55 bulb for you. He's one of the coolest guys you will ever meet.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. So you never had problems with blinding oncoming riders or drivers with just the 35 watt HIDs on?

No trouble with police?

Is your Maverick street legal?

·
Registered
713 Posts
No, I'm not street legal. They don't allow that in California. I am usually wide open in the desert and we don't have to worry about that. I have a 42 and a 22 Inch LED Light plus the HIDs and I see through mountains.

I think the 35 watt on the low beams would be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts