Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yummi, haven't I seen you on Glamis Dunes.com?

There's tons of threads on the very subjects you asked about, but I'll try to answer some of your questions about the Maverick. The supension is good, better than a Polaris 900, but not as plush as the Wild Cat. The shock could really stand to be revalved. I can't speak on the XP1K as I have not ridden in one. Power wise, the Mav has more than the Wild Cat, and not quite as much as the XP1K but close (so I've been told). Like all of the sport SxS's storage is at a minimum. BRP has a hard trunk or Linq storage system, but there are more economical solutions.

As for known issues, on the first 2013 models there were some issues with the primary and secondary clutch bolts, but that has been addressed and fixed in a recall by Can Am. There was also a starter recall by Can Am that fixed that issue as well.

Other than that, the Maverick seems to be a very solid machine. I have had mine for 1 yr, and put 1300+ miles on it. The only issues I've had were a bent tie rod, and 1 blown belt, both were self-inflicted.

As far as mods go, well that would depend on the type of riding and personal taste. For HP increases, there isn't too much out there. There are a couple of aftermaket pipes guys are claiming performance gains with, a couple of intake/air box eliminator kits, and a few fuel controlers. The gains from these mods seem to be marginal at best IMO...ymmv. The best perfomance mod is probably aftermarket clutches to get more of the available power to the ground. That along with shock revalve/ respring seem to get the most gains. Other mods I concider paramount are harnesses, and the tie rods on the Maverick are notoriously weak and should be replaced with aftermarket, which there are a few different options for. Gussets for the A-arms (front and rear) are highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I can say this, out on the hard pack...my Mav fly's, but I gotta pin my butt back in the seat through the whoops. Out at Johnson Valley I've climbed some stuff that after, made me say "holy shit!". El Mirage and Barstow (Hodge rd) are just a walk in the park @ 50-60 mph. I didn't make a single trip last season to Ocotillo, but think we might be going there for Pres weekend. In the dunes the Mav does awesome. There are far more sand cars than SxS's, quads or bikes in our group. Got alot of the car guys attention over the last 2 trips at how fast, and how well the Mav dunes, even on stock tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts