Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wife and I have been into sand cars for a few years. (I see some familiar board names here) Almost got out of it a few years back, then picked up the current car that is more desert capable and street legal to boot. (Picture of the current ride is below)

Recently we moved to northern AZ and figure that we will be needing a more multi-purpose machine to run forest trails, etc. Over New Years we test drove the Wildcat and the RZR and were impressed with both. Still looking to test drive a Maverick, but for our needs, on paper, it looks like it may be the best fit. Just need to stop by the local dealer in Rye and I am sure I can arrange that.

So, currently deciding if I want to off the Baja and go SxS route, and if so, which one will best fit my needs.

Will be reading threads re: what you like, what you don’t, good mods, trouble spots, etc.

Thanks in advance for answering any questions and insight you may have.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Yummi, haven't I seen you on Glamis Dunes.com?

There's tons of threads on the very subjects you asked about, but I'll try to answer some of your questions about the Maverick. The supension is good, better than a Polaris 900, but not as plush as the Wild Cat. The shock could really stand to be revalved. I can't speak on the XP1K as I have not ridden in one. Power wise, the Mav has more than the Wild Cat, and not quite as much as the XP1K but close (so I've been told). Like all of the sport SxS's storage is at a minimum. BRP has a hard trunk or Linq storage system, but there are more economical solutions.

As for known issues, on the first 2013 models there were some issues with the primary and secondary clutch bolts, but that has been addressed and fixed in a recall by Can Am. There was also a starter recall by Can Am that fixed that issue as well.

Other than that, the Maverick seems to be a very solid machine. I have had mine for 1 yr, and put 1300+ miles on it. The only issues I've had were a bent tie rod, and 1 blown belt, both were self-inflicted.

As far as mods go, well that would depend on the type of riding and personal taste. For HP increases, there isn't too much out there. There are a couple of aftermaket pipes guys are claiming performance gains with, a couple of intake/air box eliminator kits, and a few fuel controlers. The gains from these mods seem to be marginal at best IMO...ymmv. The best perfomance mod is probably aftermarket clutches to get more of the available power to the ground. That along with shock revalve/ respring seem to get the most gains. Other mods I concider paramount are harnesses, and the tie rods on the Maverick are notoriously weak and should be replaced with aftermarket, which there are a few different options for. Gussets for the A-arms (front and rear) are highly recommended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yummi, haven't I seen you on Glamis Dunes.com?

Yep, same me.

Looking to get more info re: Trail rides, etc hence poking around on the various SxS forums read up and see what folks are saying. GD is great for dunes info, but it is kind of skewed towards dunes and that will be just a few trips a year anymore. If it was just for dunes, would not consider offing the desert car.

Thanks for the info above.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I can say this, out on the hard pack...my Mav fly's, but I gotta pin my butt back in the seat through the whoops. Out at Johnson Valley I've climbed some stuff that after, made me say "holy shit!". El Mirage and Barstow (Hodge rd) are just a walk in the park @ 50-60 mph. I didn't make a single trip last season to Ocotillo, but think we might be going there for Pres weekend. In the dunes the Mav does awesome. There are far more sand cars than SxS's, quads or bikes in our group. Got alot of the car guys attention over the last 2 trips at how fast, and how well the Mav dunes, even on stock tires.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice in SXS's......if you like the solid "car like" feel of your buggy then you will like the Maverick. Of the 3 models you listed, the maverick has the best fit and finish and build quality of the 3. If you have squeaky rattle traps, stay away from the Polaris....The rotax V-twin in the Maverick is by far the best power plan available.....but ultimately it comes down to what you will be happy with at the end of the day.....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice in sxs's......if you like the solid "car like" feel of your buggy then you will like the maverick. Of the 3 models you listed, the maverick has the best fit and finish and build quality of the 3. If you have squeaky rattle traps, stay away from the polaris....the rotax v-twin in the maverick is by far the best power plan available.....but ultimately it comes down to what you will be happy with at the end of the day.....
x2 !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts