Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 X3 turbo r XDS with appx 7500 miles. Under heavy throttle or load I get code P0234 (overboost issue), engine light comes on and you hear the wastegate blow out the built up boost. I have done some research and replaced the solenoid valve and the actuator assembly and the problem still persists or has even made it worse. Now you get the blowoff happening sooner. I have tuned the actuator to 6psi and no difference. Any suggestions or thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Are you meaning the blow off valve is blowing off? Or the actual wastegate?
I would pull the downpipe off the turbo and have a look at the actual gate itself in the exhaust manifold to see if something is keeping it stuck shut.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
sounds like a broken hose, hose on wrong barb, hose off turbo
any leaks in the reference hose will cause overboost

·
Registered
441 Posts
7500 miles my guess is what Mike said, actual gate not opening or working correctly. Probably carbon buildup and just caked up to where it could be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pulled all hoses and thoroughly inspected them and did a pressure test with a might vac and all appear fine. I have also triple checked the diagram to make sure nothing was out of place. I know my wastegate actuator was malfunctioning because it will not hold any pressure whereas the new one will build pressure and start to move at 6psi. I have not pulled the down pipe but I will try that next. Thank everyone for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just an update to close the thread. After replacing the solenoid valve, turbo charger, waste gate actuator, primary and secondary clutch (probably unrelated but they were making some noise and I wanted to rule out belt slippage), and new belt the problem still persists. We replaced the solenoid valve a second time and that was it! After another 600 miles the solenoid valve has failed again and upon replacement the problem instantly went away. Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
the solenoid valve is also called the "boost controller"
and it does just that by controlling the actuator
but it is more common when the boost controller fails to have low boost
that is not the same as a broken solenoid valve that leaks boost for overboost codes
there are high quality boost controllers available unlike the flimsy oem on the x3

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Are you running a tune and if you are, whose?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skidoochris do you suggest any boost controller specifically? I am running a stock machine and am not looking for better performance but better reliability.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
always had good luck with turbosmart eboost2 controllers, but they wont be plug and play
not sure you can by a quality solenoid valve with the correct ev1 connector

1 - 10 of 10 Posts