Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone on here as some good audio knowledge. I am running a small PowerBass Amp with NO head unit using a Ipod and trying to set the amp settings to get the best sound out of my speakers. I am running 2 rockford M282-Wake tower speakers mounted on the cage. They are 8" speakers and I bought them to get the best all around sound without running a sub and hoping they would still produce some Bass.

My AMP can be set on LPF,HPF or FULL... LPF sounds horrible so I know they will need to be on HPF or full. HPF has a minimum of 80hz and when set on HPF at 80hz they sound good but do not produce quite as much bass as when on full. They do seem to be crestal clear and still have good mid range when set on HPF at 80hz.

To my knowledge when set on FULL there is no crossover filter being used which can be bad on the speakers?? I will give up a little bass to not harm my new expensive speakers if needed. Rockford lists the frequency response for the M282 at 48hz-22khz

If any of this makes sense any advice or suggestions would be great

·
Registered
223 Posts
Full will be the best sound for you. High pass and low pass are for when using a sub/component system. Your 8" speakers are designed to handle bass, but it won't sound nearly as good as using a dedicated sub. The louder you go the worse it will sound as your asking the speaker cone to do too much by covering too large it a frequency range for it. If you were using smaller speakers, like 4-5 inches, the high pass setting would probably work better, but 8" speakers will handle bass sufficiently.

Your speakers include two drivers with built in passive crossovers that work very well.

You didn't mention the exact amp model, but your more likely to damage the speaker with an under powered amp than you are with a full frequency signal. Under powered amps, in relation to the speaker, will distort much sooner because you have to push them more, thereby generating more heat, less efficiency and more output distortion.

Im 100% against placing your main speakers behind your head, but it's your rig......I'm running the same speakers in the front of my Max, but the 6.5" size (in the SSV lower enclosure). They are an excellent choice for this application. It's a nice sounding all around speaker that punches through ambient noise very well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Polk Audio Offers Speakers that have an additional Inline cross over and also a few models with a Cross over that is built into the back of the Speaker to increase sound quality.

Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA2652-A MM651UM 6.5-Inch Coax Ultra Marine Speaker: Electronics
OP already has speakers. That's a component system. It does not have an additional inline crossover, the inline crossover is the only crossover as the tweeter and woofer are separate items and must be mounted in different locations (non coax setup). An external passive crossover will usually sound better due to more space allowing the use of higher quality inductors and capacitors.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Need to make sure all polarities to the speakers are correct. If they are out of phase( incorrect polarity) they will sound like crap too. You didn't say how much power you were sending to the speakers. Too little power and that's no good either. Are you using headphone output from iPod and going to line level input on amp? Check input sensitivity on amp and turn it up. That's just a few places to start.

·
Registered
274 Posts
OP already has speakers. That's a component system. It does not have an additional inline crossover, the inline crossover is the only crossover as the tweeter and woofer are separate items and must be mounted in different locations (non coax setup). An external passive crossover will usually sound better due to more space allowing the use of higher quality inductors and capacitors.
In the Description, Bullet points it says this

Sealed Crossover Assembly Built Into Back of Magnet means there¿s no need to find room to hide an extra box.

I'm saying the OP should set his AMP to Full and then go with Speakers like the Polk's that have a built in inline cross over.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe you need to re-read the OP. He has good speakers yet you're trying suggest he replace his single coax speakers with two separate speakers, a mid woofer and a tweeter. He already has a built in crossover attached to his coaxial speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Maybe you need to re-read the OP. He has good speakers yet you're trying suggest he replace his single coax speakers with two separate speakers, a mid woofer and a tweeter. He already has a built in crossover attached to his coaxial speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Says He has 8" Speakers with "NO" inline cross over just the Crossover on the AMP which is LPF (Low Pass filter - Subs) HPF (High Pass Filter) and Full (Full Range) . With those settings Its not really about the Power, it is the freq Range

Personally I would just run it on full or whatever sounds best. If you want even better sound get some speakers or inline crossovers that are designed for the speakers Freq range.

Those Polks Have 2 separate Speakers with a built in inline crossover to provide the correct Freq range to each one. So you would get Mids and Highs. Also the Tweeters are mounted in the center of the grill so No need for an additional hole. Obvoiusly the Polks I referenced are 6.5" I'm sure he could find something similar in an 8"

So Instead of trying to do it all with a pair of 8" speakers (High, Mid, Low) Those Polks Have 2 Speakers designed for each purpose... (Mid and High)

·
Registered
274 Posts
To my knowledge when set on FULL there is no crossover filter being used which can be bad on the speakers??

I will give up a little bass to not harm my new expensive speakers if needed. Rockford lists the frequency response for the M282 at 48hz-22khz

If any of this makes sense any advice or suggestions would be great
The Speakers Response Range is 48hz - 22khz so anything below 48Hz is going to be useless. (Low Frequency) Does the HPF have an adjustment screw? Could try HPF and then mess with the adjustment. But again I would just run FULL.. I don't think you will really damage the speaker

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Powerbass Xax-2160fd 320 watt rms is the amp I'm running. The HPF does have an adjustment screw but the min on the screw is 80hz up to 350hz.

Don't get me wrong they sound good I just want to get the most out of them possible, It is a very cheap amp that I'm running so I'm sure they would benefit from a better amp, i may just upgrade to the Rockford PBR300.2 I think they would work well with that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That AMP you got will probably work fine for what you are doing. I guess it is just all about what you are after.

Could Maybe Add another AMP and More Speakers to get the More Mid and High as well. But for Just having some good tunes while you dunning, what you got I'm sure will work just fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Says He has 8" Speakers with "NO" inline cross over just the Crossover on the AMP which is LPF (Low Pass filter - Subs) HPF (High Pass Filter) and Full (Full Range) . With those settings Its not really about the Power, it is the freq Range

Personally I would just run it on full or whatever sounds best. If you want even better sound get some speakers or inline crossovers that are designed for the speakers Freq range.

Those Polks Have 2 separate Speakers with a built in inline crossover to provide the correct Freq range to each one. So you would get Mids and Highs. Also the Tweeters are mounted in the center of the grill so No need for an additional hole. Obvoiusly the Polks I referenced are 6.5" I'm sure he could find something similar in an 8"

So Instead of trying to do it all with a pair of 8" speakers (High, Mid, Low) Those Polks Have 2 Speakers designed for each purpose... (Mid and High)
You need to understand that the Fosgate Marine coax DOES have a built in crossover and is configured exactly like the Polk MM651UM, so it doesn't matter what he does with the amp, the speaker's crossover will manage the appropriate frequencies at the appropriate driver. Not sure how you don't understand this, but EVERY coax speaker has a built in crossover. If you put another crossover in front of the speaker all you can do is further attenuate a given frequency range, meaning you will NOT hear all of music.

I'll try to make this simple...... OP has an excellent set of 8" COAX speakers that are in a wake tower enclosure. The link you posted (of speakers you obviously don't own) shows a coax which as the exact same crossover type as the Fosgate speakers he already has. Yet, you continue to talk of a component system with an external crossover which is completely irrelevant.

I'm not trying to be abrasive, but please spend a little time educating yourself about the Polk product line, coax speakers and crossover networks. You are way off topic from the OP, he didn't ask for a recommendation of a comparable speaker.

Here's a link to the owners manual for both the Polk MM651UM (a COAX) and the MM605UM (a Component system). You'll see that they both have on board crossovers, meaning they are attached to the speaker.
http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manual/MMUM_MarineMNWeb.pdf

and the spec. page from Fosgate...... Rockford Fosgate® - RFTECH Support

I own both of these speakers. The Polk in my boat and the Fosgate in my Mav Max. Both are good coax speakers, but for my taste I like the Fosgate's better and may swap the Polks' in my boat for the Fosgates.

Short story long (sorry for all this OP)....... you should use the Full Range setting if you want to hear all the music, any other setting and you won't hear it all. I'm out on this thread..... OP, if you would like any free professional advice, please feel free to PM me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts