Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

New to the forum. I have a 2016 Maverick 1000r XC dps. Once or twice a year we go to Wyoming or South Dakota and I would like to have a gps. I have been looking at the Garmin Montana option with the can am dash for it. I am also considering just using my iPad. Beings I already have the iPad, that would be the least expensive way to go. I would appreciate your thoughts as to the best option for using about one week per year. If I go iPad route, what are the best apps? Also, I would appreciate any photos of how you mounted your gps in your Maverick 1000.

thank you in advance for the help.

Mark

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Folks,

New to the forum. I have a 2016 Maverick 1000r XC dps. Once or twice a year we go to Wyoming or South Dakota and I would like to have a gps. I have been looking at the Garmin Montana option with the can am dash for it. I am also considering just using my iPad. Beings I already have the iPad, that would be the least expensive way to go. I would appreciate your thoughts as to the best option for using about one week per year. If I go iPad route, what are the best apps? Also, I would appreciate any photos of how you mounted your gps in your Maverick 1000.

thank you in advance for the help.

Mark
I’ve got the Garmin Montana with the accessory mount. Drop it in the cradle and it charges and starts up when the car starts and you can pop it out to lock it up when you leave the car. Works well. I’m using just the onboard built in antenna and not an external and it tracks satellites with no problems.

Lowrance makes some nice units. I had one in my RZR and it was pretty nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
All the race teams use Lowrance..... There's a reason for that.
Yes, and it has to do with racing. You can do a lot with a tablet if you are trail riding and exploring, in many cases they are a better option.

Reactions: sandman726

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I use an iPad and like it. Does your IPad have a carrier service? The tablets with service have the GPS chip built in although you don’t need it to be active to work. Another option for the iPad that is WiFi only is a device from Bad Elf gps pro. I just purchased one and it seems to work very well. There is a bunch of GPS app’s for the iPad , I use Topo maps plus.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, and it has to do with racing. You can do a lot with a tablet if you are trail riding and exploring, in many cases they are a better option.
Mostly durability and dependability. I've seen more then a few I pods an tablets fail from the riggers of trail abuse. But for just putsin around im sure there just fine. I would just rather step up right away and be done with it. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It’s not about stepping up, they are different deals with different functions. The lowrance is rugged like you said but the screen is brighter so your can see it better while racing and the track files can each hold 10,000 breadcrumbs which makes a smoother trail than a typical .gpx files. But the tablets are a lot more versatile. You can download all kinds of background maps for exploring, put your music on them, control your GoPro camera, load your technical manuals, etc. Basically different horses for different courses.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I use the Garmin 276cx, the big brother of the Montana. Main differences are:
- Larger screen,
- Buttons operated (no touch) which i find better off road,
- And best of all: A very bright screen. Montana is hard to see on sunny days.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There has been no mention of the Magellan eXplorist TRX7. What are your thoughts about that unit?

·
Registered
131 Posts
82D89CF3-FB65-4DAD-BE98-E7A97473AF83.jpeg I use a Nuvi 55LM and a Samsung tablet, I started with an 8” and just got a 10” this year on which I run Orux maps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the help so far. How about some more pictures of where you guys have yours mounted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use a mini iPad with lifeproof case and lifeproof cradle with the GAIA GPS app. I also use a garmin Montana 650. Nice to have both, never know what could happen.

95B7E655-567E-4882-9FDC-07227D420803.jpeg
D4CD66B9-32F6-4E43-AE31-D29AF1A6B8EF.jpeg
20520501-F5C4-46F4-8604-441B7C14A363.jpeg

1 - 20 of 90 Posts