Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me state that I'm new to tuning clutches. So I need all the help I can get lol. I sent Adam an email just now, but it's Sunday and I know he may not get back to me. I'd really like to try and get out this afternoon and get it dialed in if I could. So I figured I'd reach out on here too. Here's my situation:

All stock machine. QSC Raptor primary, STM Tuner secondary. Here's what I sent Adam:

In low gear (sport mode) it revs to 8050, even saw 8100 at one point. I haven't had the chance to top it out yet and watch the shift out. Will do that soon. But what I was feeling was something like the timing being pulled. Wasn't as extreme as the shaft saver I don't think. Either that or you can really feel the machine come out of the powerband. It pulls crazy hard until about 15/20ish mph, then it feels like the timing is being pulled. So I'm not sure if it's a clutching issue, or a sensitive knock sensor. (Btw, I'm running 93 octane.)

In high gear it pulls harder in the mid range than in low! Feels GREAT in high. Punching it yields about 7850-7950 Rpms. Saw 8000 once or twice. Again, haven't had enough room yet to see shiftout. But it pulls VERY hard around 7800-7900 Rpms.

What are your suggestions for trying to get it to pull in low harder than in high? After all, I do have the sport low mod, so it should be pulling much harder. Do you think it's just coming out of the powerband in low?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like you will need to add a bit more weight if you want it set up for Low. It is hard to tune a clutch perfectly for High and Low, you will need to choose which you prefer and optimize. That feeling you are describing is you REV limiter. If you exceed 8000 RPM in will kick in. The computer closes the throttle softly enough to bring your RPM back below 8000.

I prefer high with my QSC raptor. I run high range almost everywhere even with the 34's on. The belt grip this clutch seems to have at low RPM is amazing. I just downshift to low if I need to crawl through a tough situation or tow someone.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Take it for a good full throttle run in HIGH range up to 60 MPH. If your RPMs climb up 8000 or higher as your MPH climbs you will be able to add some weight to the middle or tip with will help your low range performance

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! What you said feels like exactly what it's doing. Didn't realize it was a soft limiter. Bingo! Makes me feel so much better. Think I should only add weight to the tips?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Post up a video of your tach on full throttle from a stop to 60-70mph that will help with better advise, I like to test on a firm surface so there's no tire slip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. I was planning on that actually... Gonna try my damnedest to get out today and get a vid and dialed in. Adam from QSC has been in contact with me today too so I'm getting a lot of good advice. So far he recommends going up a size in the center and tips. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the advantage to a higher engagement?

·
Registered
791 Posts
No advantage really unless perhaps you are racing. It is the equivalent revving up and dropping it into gear. Hits hard off the line but sacrifices drivability. Anything between 1800 and 2200 is pretty good for normal use

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No advantage really unless perhaps you are racing. It is the equivalent revving up and dropping it into gear. Hits hard off the line but sacrifices drivability. Anything between 1800 and 2200 is pretty good for normal use
Ok, that's what I thought.

Adam's been in contact with me throughout the day. He recommended I go up one size in the center and tip. So I did that and took it for a test run on the perfect long dead end road with no houses.

Here are the vids:

Keep in mind "H" is on the dash in low as well.

The added weight didnt seem to do anything. Adam and I both seem to think it's just at the rev limiter the entire time. Just need to add weight until we bring it down below it. Well, tomorrows another day. Should get time to add some weight as long as marking a new trail at my OHV club doesnt take all night.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What your explaining sound normal to me......if you have the sport low mod, and your clutching is dialed in for high gear, you are gonna bounce it off of the rev limiter in low. If you dial it in for low gear, you will have trouble hitting RPM in high gear.....The reason is the peak power is so close to the Rev limiter that you can't keep the motor in the correct RPM in both high and low without overshooting the rev limiter in low range. Yo would need to get one of the reflashes to raise your rev limiter to 8500 in order to keep from hitting the rev limiter in low and still maintaining proper RPM's in high.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What your explaining sound normal to me......if you have the sport low mod, and your clutching is dialed in for high gear, you are gonna bounce it off of the rev limiter in low. If you dial it in for low gear, you will have trouble hitting RPM in high gear.....The reason is the peak power is so close to the Rev limiter that you can't keep the motor in the correct RPM in both high and low without overshooting the rev limiter in low range. Yo would need to get one of the reflashes to raise your rev limiter to 8500 in order to keep from hitting the rev limiter in low and still maintaining proper RPM's in high.
I'm going to try to find a good balance. I'd like to get low JUST below rev limiter. My seat-of-the-pants dyno says 7850-7900 has the most pull. If I can get it to run that in high, I'm hopng that wll at least get it off the limiter in low. I'm actually a full second faster to 50 in high than I am in low. Gotta bring low back a little closer to the power band to be comfortable. I think I can get it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How does it feel? Did you have any clutches before this one? Looks like its pretty fast.
With the added weight, it feels a bit better. Still pulls harder in high than in low, at least in the midrange. It's definitely faster than stock in both, thats for sure! I'm shooting for perfection though, haha. I just don't like the idea of hitting the rev limiter at all. I'll be happy when I don't see anything over 8000 in low.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I'm going to try to find a good balance. I'd like to get low JUST below rev limiter. My seat-of-the-pants dyno says 7850-7900 has the most pull. If I can get it to run that in high, I'm hopng that wll at least get it off the limiter in low. I'm actually a full second faster to 50 in high than I am in low. Gotta bring low back a little closer to the power band to be comfortable. I think I can get it.
let me know what you figure out....I am just living with the over-rev in low since I don't use low very often and when I do, it is for slow or technical riding where I am usually not full throttle.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You are on the right track, a little more weight is needed in the middle and tip, you are very close on your high range pull. You are exactly right, keep it just below 8000 RPM for the best performance, my Maverick is the same…..

By the way, don't you love 48 MPH in Low Range ! I would like to see any other clutch on the market achieve that!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Watched the high range vid again...I would try one more gram in the middle and do another pull. The RPM actually seems to come down a bit right at the end of the pull so you might not need anymore in the tip

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok thanks man! I'll give it a shot today. Actually Adam got back to me and says go quite a bit heavier in both. He's giving me recommendations in size bolts and set screws with the kit, so I'm not sure what they equate to in weight. We'll see what happens and I'll report back!

Reactions: RTB

·
Registered
25 Posts
is the raptor primary the new gen 2? that was just released

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is the raptor primary the new gen 2? that was just released
Yessir.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts