Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 maverick xrs dps. Went to take the primary clutch off and it has one of the newer bolts that are metric Allen and are supposed to have less chance of stretching. Well we cannot get it to move but an 1/8th of an inch maybe. We are thinking someone put loctite on it when replacing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this bolt out!? We have been using an impact and have tapped on it trying to help but we are getting nowhere. Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard mixed feelings on whether to heat or not, have you ever had to heat one? Just don't want to mess anything up bad, I don't mind getting a new bolt for it but trying to avoid ruining anything else.

·
Hickory, NC
2,959 Posts
If it's a bolt, it's past the recall and you should heat it or get a bigger impact to remove it. You need the stud and nut set up anyway. It will have a grub screw inside the nut to lock it

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
BTFTU. Twice. Be careful using a bigger impact. That's how I broke the bolt the 1st time. You can try heating with a propane torch, but the bolt is so long it takes a while to get the heat down to the threads in the crank. Good luck, use lots of patience, and replace the bolt once you get it out. I try not to re-use them after I have pulled the clutch (that's how I broke the second one).

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
odds are if you do break the bolt, it will snap off very close to the end of the crank. Both times I had to drill the broken end out almost completely, leaving just a little more material than just the threads and take a tread chaser tap to it to get the rest out without damaging the crank threads. It takes a steady hand and several drill bits to get the broken end of a grade 12.9 bolt out. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Oh, and one more thing. Don't use RED Loctite on this bolt. Blue works good, but the red will give you nothing but headaches. Also a lesson learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Heat is your friend in removing a loctite bolt. The loctite turns to liquid when super heated. The allen head bolt is what //Airdam was recommending before the stud upgrade from BRP.

Also i use a Dewalt 18volt 1/2" impact to remove those bolts. Just use a quality 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and the correct metric allen. Lean on it and rattle it until the battery goes dead. I have had them take a solid 2 minutes of constant impact to get it to loosen. Make sure to throw away the bolt and get a new one for install.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Heat is your friend in removing a loctite bolt. The loctite turns to liquid when super heated. The allen head bolt is what //Airdam was recommending before the stud upgrade from BRP.

Also i use a Dewalt 18volt 1/2" impact to remove those bolts. Just use a quality 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and the correct metric allen. Lean on it and rattle it until the battery goes dead. I have had them take a solid 2 minutes of constant impact to get it to loosen. Make sure to throw away the bolt and get a new one for install.
I bought a cheap set of 1/2 drive allen impacts both metric and SAE at Harbor freight. Figured they would be good as a throw away tool. Ended up not being a bad set of impacts after all.

Reactions: sand shark

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
I bought a cheap set of 1/2 drive allen impacts both metric and SAE at Harbor freight. Figured they would be good as a throw away tool. Ended up not being a bad set of impacts after all.
I only mentioned that because i found a cheap or worn out adapter or socket tends to rattle when used in an impact and not put the full force onto the bolt you are removing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What impact are you using. If it's an Allen head on it then doesn't this mean it is the stud? Get the proper tool for holding the clutches in place use a breaker bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Heat the nut with propane will come right off wont hurt anything. The Allen is for locking the bolt on the stud. 400 degrees Loctite will let go.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts