Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought another gauge to measure my belt temperature.
The old one was an analog gauge which I've replaced with a digital gauge.

Intellitronix Corp.

It came with a sender but no cable.
So I took a regular speaker wire and hooked the sense to the gauge to see if it works properly. Unfortunately it does not. Once I power up the gauge it shows 53 degree, it does not change if I hook up the sender to it and hold a flame under the sender. It stays at 53 degree.

Do I need a special cable to connect the gauge and the sender.?
I ran the ground wire to the motor block as suggested in the instructions.
The gauge has four wires coming out of it.
1 positive lead
2 ground
3 to sender
4 to light switch to dim

I connected the sender to the cable coming out of the gauge but the temp on the display remained 53 degree...... What am I missing here?.?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rap a wire around where the threads are and then ground the other end. Report back with your findings. I guess I should ask if the sensor is mounted in plastic or metal?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rap a wire around where the threads are and then ground the other end. Report back with your findings. I guess I should ask if the sensor is mounted in plastic or metal?
Alright, I will try.
The sensor is indeed mounted in plastic.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I tapped into the plastic as well for the sensor but only used the sensor itself not the adapter. Then I took a ring terminal that slid up over the threads on the sensor, crimped it and then soldered it in place so it would not be lose. I then ran the ground wire all the way back with the sensor wire to the factory harness where I supplied the power and ground for the gauge. I should have taken a picture but thought about that AFTER I put all the plastics back on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tapped into the plastic as well for the sensor but only used the sensor itself not the adapter. Then I took a ring terminal that slid up over the threads on the sensor, crimped it and then soldered it in place so it would not be lose. I then ran the ground wire all the way back with the sensor wire to the factory harness where I supplied the power and ground for the gauge. I should have taken a picture but thought about that AFTER I put all the plastics back on.
Thanks man, that sounds like a solid plan/setup.
I'll try your idea.

I will report back once done

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys were right on.
I grounded the sender and it works now like a charm.

Thanks a bunch folks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great idea but you only have to run the ground to the nearest spot that will ground it to the frame.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I figured it was your issue. I had the same issue until I figured it out. Glad I could help and ride safe. G2
A quick question, how much are those gauges?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured it was your issue. I had the same issue until I figured it out. Glad I could help and ride safe. G2
A quick question, how much are those gauges?
Yeah, that was a good call, thanks again Goose2.
If I remember correctly I paid around $80 at Summit Racing.

Here is how it looks, sorry for the crappy IPad picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far no issues with moisture, I try to not spray directly on the gage but rather use a rag to clean it.
The numbers are super visible in any condition, no problems at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ive read somewhere on here that there was an accessory plug behind the dash that they taped into for power and ground, can anyone explain what it looks like, also did you cut and spice in the harness or what. thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I remember there was a few wires zip tied together in a bundle behind the dash. Get a lite tester and find which wire has the power you need and splice into it with a wire tap and bam you got it. The other easier option would be to tie into the back of 12 volt accessories plug. It has the power and the ground right there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ya that's what I did. now I went with 3 intellitronix digital gauges. oil pressure, trans temp (cvt), and water temp. I have everything installed started it up and seems like everything is working good. but when I went out and drove it. I noticed my water temp would work the every so often it would jump all around and flash. does that mean I need to ground it. I grounded the cvt to the engine being it was mounted in plastic and that seems to work fine. I mounted my water in the front cylinder like most of these guys are doing. so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts