Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm in need of some help. Got stuck on a ride last week and smoked my belt. Got pulled out and noticed it bucking (figured glazed belt). Got back to camp and shut it down for the day. Cranked it up the next day and it would not move. Hear a winding noise and it acts like it wanted to move but wouldn't. Pulled off cover pulled the old belt and it was glazed. Scrubbed the clutch faces and used brake cleaner to clean the surfaces. Installed new belt and started the machine, clutches and belt spun so closed up the box and then went to test and its doing the exact same thing it will not move. Anyone dealt with this before? I really don't want to take it to the dealer and take one in the arse...... Could this be a clutch bolt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well went to break down the belt box again and the secondary bolt has backed all the way out. Now the secondary has my box pinned to the exhaust/frame..... FML

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
I assume you mean the cover when you say "box". You may have to destroy the cover, they can be had for 150.00 or even less.

Let us know what happens, its nice to have solutions posted so the next guy has a benchmark. Tim

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Sounds like One more case of a secondary bolt backing out and damaging the helix and secondary clutch itself . And maybe the cover also

·
Registered
105 Posts
Should you take the bolt out and put locktight on the threads off the showroom floor new to prevent this?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went and bought some all thread 10 x 1.50 and cut a piece about 3 inches longer than the bolt holding the secondary. Run it in and used a washer and a nut to compress the spring / clutch in and get was able to get the cover off. Damaged the helix and and appears to be a race on the secondary. Will post pics later.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume you mean the cover when you say "box". You may have to destroy the cover, they can be had for 150.00 or even less.

Let us know what happens, its nice to have solutions posted so the next guy has a benchmark. Tim
Yes the cover is what I meant. Sorry about that

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
There was a factory recall on that bolt. I believe they replace it with a stud, washer and they double nut it. Doesn't matter if your out of warranty or not. Its free. I brought mine in while it was torn apart and they said no problem. They fixed it and put it all back together. I just had the seat out and the covers off.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The canam atv's use the same secondary setup . All held in place by the bolt . Dumb idea . I have been using 1 drop of red lock-tite on the threads and it has never failed and come loose . I do the same on my mander . I have turbo clutches on my NA mav so there is no load on the bolt on that secondary .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts