Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is probablecauses's wife. I need to see if I can get your help and guidance on some things. My husband was active on the forum for a few years when he first bought our machine. He posted and commented a little, but mostly lurked to gather info and ideas for mods and such. He had always wanted something to take the family out on trail rides. He grew up with a step dad that was into mud racing and although he was an airline pilot, his degree was in aviation maintenance so he enjoyed "turning wrenches" in his spare time. He bought our Maverick and joined the forum in 2017 when his cancer came back. He wanted to create those family memories and quite frankly he said tinkering around and creating mounts, adding mods, etc. was like therapy that kept his mind off what he was going through. You would have never known it, but he had a 12% chance of surviving a year and a 0% chance at 5 years when it came back metastatic in 2017. He was a badass and fought well beyond the limits of his body to hang around for me and the kids. He passed away last year during a hospitalization. While we knew his time was limited, his passing was unexpected and we were unable to take care of some things in advance like selling the Maverick.

I have a couple questions or areas where I need advice:

1. How do I determine a value? I'm assuming any modification worth noting he listed in his forum signature? Do any of those add value?

2. Where would you recommend I try to sell/list? The dealer where he purchased is not currently buying (but I also know that's not the place to get the most money either)

Here's what I know I have:

2017 Maverick X3 Max XDS - that's off the buyer's order so hopefully I got that right
236 miles - we only got in a few short trips, it's practically new
Additions/Mods - should show up in his signature I think, he did leave me a folder with receipts so I kind of know what is on/in it
Titled in South Dakota, but we are in Georgia that does not title utvs
A couple plastic totes of new parts yet to be added - probably no surprise to guys like you!
Extra set of wheels/tires (the factory ones)

If you have any advice, please share. I'm looking for guidance on how to sell the Maverick - where and how much. I know it's a bit of a challenge that I'm in Georgia. You can probably search his user name and see a few pics from his posts in the past. I poked around a little bit before I created this post. I really appreciate any help you can give me. He just couldn't bring himself to sell when he was relatively healthy (which I understand) and then time moved quickly.

Thank you so much!

· Premium Member
7,489 Posts
First, my condolonces. From what you have stated, it appears you had a solid man with conviction for his family. I'm truly sorry for what you have been through.

I'm sure you will be receiving support from members here on this forum. I will see what I can do to contibute in answering your questions.

Off the top of my head, I beleive you will be somewhere in the $21-$24K range.

There is a ATV Trader publication, local advertising, CL, FB, and potentially here if the admins approve etc.

I'm in Oregon and here is an example of what people are asking (Turbo model).

· Registered
2017 XRS Stage 3R-93 with more than two months salary dumped into it...
224 Posts
So sorry for your loss.

To answer some of your questions:

Determine the value - I would go onto Offerup, Facebook market place, and craigslist to get an idea of the value in your area. Mods do add some value but normally pretty minimal. I have seen anywhere from $0.10 to $0.20 on the dollar. Low mileage is a big help though, probably more valuable than the mods.

Once you determine the value, the 3 spots above are good places to sell. Dealer will low ball you.

· Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Here's what I found that might help show what is on the machine however the attachments won't open:

· Premium Member
17,337 Posts
So sorry for your loss, my condolences. I always tell folks that are selling, there are 2 ways to do it. Price it for what you want / think it’s worth, and you might get it, but it will take time. Price it to sell, and take a bit of a hit, and it will move quick. Option 1 - $23 - $24K. Option 2 - $20 - 20.5K. Good luck.

· Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thank you for your condolences. probablecause was truly a family man and just an all around great guy who is truly missed. It's been a while since I've been active on any kind of forum myself, so I'm a bit rusty on my etiquette and how to properly quote and thank each of you individually. But please know I appreciate your feedback. You have been very helpful in pointing me in the right directions.

I definitely needed a ballpark range and a few solid places to look to list and research. I figured that the mods we had were going to add minimal value as they are primarily cosmetic or convenience based since we were a family with young kids doing "light" trail riding. He jokingly called our ride the "family truckster" as we have a carseat with harnesses installed in the back. He was jealous of you guys out west and definitely wished for the opportunity for some more extreme rides, but time and his body didn't allow.

It's bittersweet going through this forum and his Maverick parts preparing to sell, but something I must do. I might pop back on if I have questions preparing the listing. My dad and brother are both big dirt bike guys - dad collects Hodakas now and brother rides trails and occasional enduro. I have them to help with the logisitics, but they didn't know anything about details and the utv community. They thought you guys would be a great resource when I mentioned that probablecause used to be active on here because they both do the same in their respective motorcycle communities.

Thank you again for the support and help. Hopefully, I will sell it quickly to a new family who will get to enjoy making memories together like we did.

· Premium Member
17,337 Posts
First, thank you for your condolences. probablecause was truly a family man and just an all around great guy who is truly missed. It's been a while since I've been active on any kind of forum myself, so I'm a bit rusty on my etiquette and how to properly quote and thank each of you individually. But please know I appreciate your feedback. You have been very helpful in pointing me in the right directions.

I definitely needed a ballpark range and a few solid places to look to list and research. I figured that the mods we had were going to add minimal value as they are primarily cosmetic or convenience based since we were a family with young kids doing "light" trail riding. He jokingly called our ride the "family truckster" as we have a carseat with harnesses installed in the back. He was jealous of you guys out west and definitely wished for the opportunity for some more extreme rides, but time and his body didn't allow.

It's bittersweet going through this forum and his Maverick parts preparing to sell, but something I must do. I might pop back on if I have questions preparing the listing. My dad and brother are both big dirt bike guys - dad collects Hodakas now and brother rides trails and occasional enduro. I have them to help with the logisitics, but they didn't know anything about details and the utv community. They thought you guys would be a great resource when I mentioned that probablecause used to be active on here because they both do the same in their respective motorcycle communities.

Thank you again for the support and help. Hopefully, I will sell it quickly to a new family who will get to enjoy making memories together like we did.
Hodakas!!! There’s a bike from the past! I doubt 50% of the members on here have even heard of them, let alone seen them. I had a friend that had a Combat Wombat. That big old chrome tank. I’ll never forget that!

· Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
1,759 Posts
Hodakas!!! There’s a bike from the past! I doubt 50% of the members on here have even heard of them, let alone seen them. I had a friend that had a Combat Wombat. That big old chrome tank. I’ll never forget that!
I had a Rickman with a Hodakka ACE 100 engine lol....
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

· Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I told my dad y'all were reminiscing about Hodakas, so he sent me a pic from his garage. He's waiting on a larger storage building since he started collecting. He's got a couple dozen, but he said he's got one of every type Hodaka made.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I told my dad y'all were reminiscing about Hodakas, so he sent me a pic from his garage. He's waiting on a larger storage building since he started collecting. He's got a couple dozen, but he said he's got one of every type Hodaka made.

View attachment 289930
WOW!
Absolutely amazing, and in amazing showroom condition!

· Premium Member
17,337 Posts

View attachment 289930
Man, that’s some collection!!! Tell him to take some more pics, and post them up. I love looking at old dirt bikes.

· Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
1,759 Posts

View attachment 289930
I bet some are worth a lot of money. When I found that pic of the Rickman with the Hodakka, it was listed at 15K.

· Premium Member
17,337 Posts
Yeah,
I bet some are worth a lot of money. When I found that pic of the Rickman with the Hodakka, it was listed at 15K.
I would guesstimate there’s a good $100K in that garage!

· Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, this cracks me up. I told him to snap some pics for you guys and he literally went and snapped pics around the crowded garage for y'all lol. The dedicated motorcycle garage has been on hold while he waits on the concrete guy to pour the slab. But, he was excited that some other guys were interested and happy to share. He also raced and had a Hodaka back in the 70s and I think he is just reliving those old days by collecting. He's not fully retired yet, but I think he plans to get into buying, restoring, and selling when he does. Although I've never know him to sell so we will see how that goes!

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

Shoe Motor vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 26 Posts