Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some decent deals in my area and I cannot decide between either a Used 2017 X RS Turbo with 1000 miles or a New X RC Turbo (64" wide version). Both are similarly priced around 20k... This would be my first SxS purchase and just want to get it right the first time. I live in Utah and have access to mountain terrain, Moab, and Sand Dunes. I will most likely use it the most in the mountains and Moab.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
If you don't need the speed, power and the width of the XRS, I would get the XRC, with the smart-lok front differential. Especially if your going to spend a lot of time in Moab and the mountains. I have an 18 XDS and it doesn't have the smart- lok and it's the one thing that I regret not having on my machine, but it wasn't even an option when I bought mine. People who have it, say it's a game changer. The warranty is always nice too, and you can add an aftermarket warranty to it, for more peace of mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's much cheaper to add a locker to the XRS than it is to make a 64" XRC into a 72" car. If you go fast in the desert there is no comparison between the 64" and 72" cars. If you want new then go with the XRC 72" car. You will get the better suspension and shocks. The shocks on the 64" XRC are base model and not as good as the shocks on the XDS 64" and nowhere even close to the XRS shocks.

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If it was me, and my money, I would go for the length and width of the XRS. Added stability. Plus the XRS has better shocks than the 64" RC. But in the long run, you can't go wrong with either model. Good luck.

Reactions: mike621

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go with the xrs for the suspension and the stability. I’m so glad I went that route, you can always add a locker. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
For the type of riding you describe the 64" RC would be the route I would go. The 120hp car is sneaky quick and for Moab the smart lock front diff set up is the way to go.

If you were going to ride open desert and dunes, then I would lean more toward the 72" RS model.

To make the RS Moab worthy you will be putting more money into it versus getting the 64" RC model, which will be brand new.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If it was me, and my money, I would go for the length and width of the XRS. Added stability. Plus the XRS has better shocks than the 64" RC. But in the long run, you can't go wrong with either model. Good luck.
The shocks are better on the XRS? Bigger, not to sure on better. The shocks on the RC model are the same as the DS model. Those are very good shocks. They just do not have the internal by-pass tubes, which is really not a big deal with the way the shocks come from the factory.

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
The shocks are better on the XRS? Bigger, not to sure on better. The shocks on the RC model are the same as the DS model. Those are very good shocks. They just do not have the internal by-pass tubes, which is really not a big deal with the way the shocks come from the factory.
We can agree to disagree. I would rather have the internal by-passes. Matter of choice.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
We can agree to disagree. I would rather have the internal by-passes. Matter of choice.
Both are good shocks, if we were comparing the QS3 shock I would agree with you. A shock tuner can get the same results with both shocks.

Why are you not out riding? You still have a few hour window before the heat gets cranked up.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check around the 18 xrs with the smart loc black and red model can be found for around 22k right now with the 19's coming in dealers are blowing out the 18's!

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
Both are good shocks, if we were comparing the QS3 shock I would agree with you. A shock tuner can get the same results with both shocks.

Why are you not out riding? You still have a few hour window before the heat gets cranked up.
I was waiting on Scooby. Rode, saw some waded up Can Ams out there, rode some more, and still waiting on Scooby. He is the King of Procrastination!

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
I was waiting on Scooby. Rode, saw some waded up Can Ams out there, rode some more, and still waiting on Scooby. He is the King of Procrastination!
LOL! What is Scooby driving these days?

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
LOL! What is Scooby driving these days?
One of my old Suzuki 450 Quadracers. It was actually Laura's quad, but I gave him a great deal. He wants mine, but that ain't happening.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
One of my old Suzuki 450 Quadracers. It was actually Laura's quad, but I gave him a great deal. He wants mine, but that ain't happening.
Oh boy! He is scary enough in the Wildcat. The quad should be good for some entertainment

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
Oh boy! He is scary enough in the Wildcat. The quad should be good for some entertainment

We were all parked in 22, and he had a Honda 450 back then. He's riding the first little ridge, and I happen to be standing there, when i heard a noise. I turned around to see him flying through the air. I walked over and looked at him lying there and said, I saw it, and still don't believe it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all, i appreciate all of your input. Would the xrs being a year older (2017) and 1015 miles make anybody nervous? or not such a big deal?

·
Registered
443 Posts
the 17 xrs doesn't have as much power as a 18 but there are kits to bring them up to the 18 spec's power wise and the 17 does not have the smart loc front diff and a weeker power steering compared to a 18 or 19 model!

I personally would buy an 18 xrs over the 17 for a few grand more the power upgrade alone being about 1400 the locker and the power steering ad's more value? I just went through the same decision and when I found the 18 xrs at a little over 21k it was a done deal!

if you do buy a used car check it out real good look for signs of abuse or damage chipped paint around the suspension or cracks in the frame if the skid plate shows signs of use with deep gouges or scrapes so you can get an idea of how hard these 1000 miles have been?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Really depends on how it looks. Even better if you can talk to the original owner, to get a feeling if they abused it or just Sunday drove it.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Thanks all, i appreciate all of your input. Would the xrs being a year older (2017) and 1015 miles make anybody nervous? or not such a big deal?
I would not be nervous about the miles as long as those are not mud miles. My 2018 that I bought last December has over 1800 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts