Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me Maverick will be on its way to me in the next few days and I'm trying to get things together for when it gets here. I am trying to figure out what type helmet most of you guys are happiest with. My wife and I will be doing trail rides which will include hill climbs, rocks, mud, etc. I do not foresee us getting into any type of racing. All the parks around me require helmets, but they do not go into detail of any special requirements. I have a feeling that I would be happier with something like the Axel helmet below:
Axel Off Road Helmet - Matte Black

What do you guys think?

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
Full face helmet and googles. When you ride with people fast on the trail they're going to spray you with trail debris. It's not fun getting hit in the face with a rock that's flying at you 50 mph or better. I don't mess around with safety stuff.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
^^^^^This. I wear a full face with goggles that I had from riding dirt bikes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I prefer my 3/4 open face over my mx helmet for the obvious benefits. However, if you don't use a windshield and there's even a remote chance you might take a rock to the face, well......

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
^^^^^This. I wear a full face with goggles that I had from riding dirt bikes.
Full face helmet and googles. When you ride with people fast on the trail they're going to spray you with trail debris. It's not fun getting hit in the face with a rock that's flying at you 50 mph or better. I don't mess around with safety stuff.
When you say full face, you mean like a streetbike helmet and you wear goggles too? Or do you mean a MX style with goggles?

·
Registered
274 Posts
MX Style with Googles...

But street bike style could work well too...

Also it keeps your head warm in winter riding...

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
I have both. I have a full face pumper helmet with a skirt and I have a motocross helmet with googles. It just depends on what kind of riding I'm doing but I generally have the motocross helmet on unless it's extremely dusty

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Full face(street bike style) will keep you the safest if you buy a light wright one. The bad with full face is they are not made for dudtu dirty conditions and they tend to wesr out an flop the shield around after a while. Another bad is you do not have a sun visor. The good is warmth in the winter and rack and limb protection. You can also buy a race helmet and add a parker pumper.

MX style you have to buy good goggles and you are a little more open to rocks and tree limbs.

Now, half helmets and brain buckets are only legal and offer little protection.

·
Registered
400 Posts
check Cabelas they seem to have good buys on helmets too.....

·
Registered
458 Posts
When you say full face, you mean like a streetbike helmet and you wear goggles too? Or do you mean a MX style with goggles?

I have helmets that look just like the one on the bottom except that it has a full face shield that comes down instead of goggles, or you can leave it in the up position and wear goggles. dot them from cycle gear.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can also change the lenses to dark

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is what I use regardless of the weather, In my opinion, it has the best of both types of helmets. You can use goggles with the visor open or close the visor for extra protection against the elements. I usually wear streetbike sunglasses with the visor closed. In my opinion, having full face protection is essential, even if you don't ride fast, you never know what might happen...
G-Max Dual sport helmet.
Motorcycle helmet Helmet Clothing Personal protective equipment Motorcycle accessories
My new to me Maverick will be on its way to me in the next few days and I'm trying to get things together for when it gets here. I am trying to figure out what type helmet most of you guys are happiest with. My wife and I will be doing trail rides which will include hill climbs, rocks, mud, etc. I do not foresee us getting into any type of racing. All the parks around me require helmets, but they do not go into detail of any special requirements. I have a feeling that I would be happier with something like the Axel helmet below:
Axel Off Road Helmet - Matte Black

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
those are sweet....I just keep finding killer deals on MX helmets so I always end up going that route....I even wear a MX helmet when I snowmobile......I just like the fresh air in my face.....

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think mine was like $69

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love a Parker Pumper Full Face with a Parker Pumper giving me fresh filtered air. The nice AC feel to my head during the warm months is a huge bonus and hitting the water holes hard the full face helmet keeps the nasty water away from my face. The winter is the best, no air on face/scalp gives you added warmth with the fan off unless you get into some dry areas with dust.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My problem is finding something that fits my melon. 3x....after all there's a lot of...empty space up there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts