Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just retired last June and moved down here to the desert sun from rainy Seattle. Wife and I have been doing a LOT of off-roading in our 4Runner exploring all that southern Az has to offer (which is a lot!). But one problem...We are having a lot of envy the past couple weeks seeing some of the UTV's on the trails. So after some research tonight we've decided to go the full distance with a Maverick X3 Max.

We're not quite sure whether to go used or new and I have to be honest, it's a LOT to absorb in trying to figure out which model to target. So any help would be really appreciated! We're sort of thinking either the DS Turbo R or the wider RS Turbo R. The wider stance seems like the better option but again, this is coming with zero experience. We're thinking the 120hp might be too little and the 195hp might be overkill, so that's sort of why we've settled on the 172hp versions, but I'd love to hear from others if our thinking is good or flawed or anything else. This Tuesday we're going to put hands and eyes on some at one of the Tucson dealers but I'd sure love to hear from you folks before seeing a salesman.

We're also targeting the 4-seater so we have room to take the kids/g-kids when they visit. But that said, we're also wondering how easy or difficult it is to bring larger dogs in the back seats. We have a 70lb Doberman and a 108lb Mastiff that we occasionally bring along. Both do well in the 4Runner and we take it through some pretty crazy stuff but obviously it holds dogs pretty easy. The Doberman has done lots of time in an open top jeep so she's got good "sea-legs". The Mastiff not so much. But she just curls up and sleeps through anything. It's not a deal breaker if it's simply not possible as we'll still have the 4Runner to take them along, but most of what we plan to do is desert trail stuff around the Santa Rita Mountains. So I don't expect we will be doing any really radical speed types of runs.

Sorry for the length of this, we just want to get as much good advice from real owners before we take the next step!

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. IMO, the 72" wide, 195 horsepower car is the car you should be taking a hard look at. 195 hp isn't overkill. Better to have it, and not need it, than to not having it, and needed. Ready depends on the dogs, last thing you need is dogs jumping out doing 40 - 50+ mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the quick replies. I don't think we'll ever find ourselves doing 40+ mph with the dogs onboard. I'm mostly thinking in terms of how well they might fit in the seats. I suspect when we get to go look at one on Tuesday we'll get a better idea. If 195hp isn't overkill for us then we'll have to give it strong consideration.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
52 Posts
It's much easier to run out of power than to have too much. The 195HP "RR" model will also produce 170HP or 120HP and even less as that skinny pedal on the right modulates the power. Adding power after the purchases is much more complicated and expensive than simply lifting your foot off the pedal. And a few years from now, 195HP will seem low end on the power continuum.

The SXS is going to be a much different experience than off-roading in the comfort of a plush and quiet highway vehicle that is occasionally used off road. The SXS is loud and takes a lot more throttle pedal to get it moving than what you're use to with the 4Runner. Not trying to talk you out of it, just be advised it's different and your wife may not like it. In the 4Runner you can roll up the windows and crank up the A/C and "observe" the wild off-road terrain in comfort. A SXS immerses you into the raw and visceral experience of travel over primitive terrain; with all the heat, smells, dust, and noise most of us love but not everyone else enjoys so much. See if you can take one for a spin or at least get a ride in one so you get a feel for what to expect.

And remember that here in AZ you'll be able to license it for use on public roads which makes it much handier than if you had to trailer it everywhere you wanted to go. Have fun exploring what AZ has to offer and at some point you'll need to travel north and explore the high country around where I live.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Welcome from Tucson, AZ. I’ve spent the last 8000+ miles in and around the Tucson area riding with trips all over the state. Mine is 64” and has been exceptionally reliable. It started life out as a 120hp XRC but over time I’ve added an intercooler and a tune, along with a few odds and ends and it’s now 172hp. In all the riding I’ve done (I don’t go to the dunes, just not my thing) I have felt the need for more power than I have now but it’s a personal thing. The wider machine will serve you well although I have no problem keeping up with them on most trails. These cars do not like to go slow! The advice given by NAZ above is spot on. These cars are quite loud and the majority either wear helmets or headsets and use an intercom to communicate. Summertime riding is minimal at lower elevations and you have to get out very early or it’s just too hot to enjoy. Summer season has us venturing to the higher elevations in other states or up north to escape it. As for the dogs, I have a Doberman myself and he will sit in the front seat but I have to be cautious because dogs are extremely susceptible to Valley Fever. If you aren’t familiar with that, please do some research. It is very prevalent in the dusty southwest. Between that and the noise, you may find that they don’t enjoy the environment of an open car to their liking. The rear seats in the Max will not allow your larger dog to lay down, there just isn’t the room for that. There are some aftermarket bench seats available that would help but I am not familiar with them first-hand. Overall, these cars will be more capable than a 4-Runner due to the design and suspension but it will come at a cost in terms of comfort. For humans, the seats are comfortable (for me and the wife) to sit in all day and ride 100 miles but the dogs may be another story. Basically the chassis on both the 64 and 72 inch cars are identical. It’s the suspension that gives the additional width. I say this so when you go look at them at the dealer and they don’t have a 72” max, sit in the 64” because they are the same. Absolutely try to at least get the dealer to let you run it in the parking lot so you get a feel for the noise. Like NAZ, I’m not trying to talk you out of it, just making you aware of the significant differences between your 4-runner especially if riding with the dogs is high on your priority list. I’ve enjoyed mine since the day I took delivery and I ride a lot. It never gets old. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions and if you’re looking at the dealer on the NW side of Tucson, let me know since I live a few blocks away and I’ll be glad to meet you if I’m not riding that day (the weather is supposed to be perfect).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome from Poulsbo WA. I to have a Doberman. He loves to run with me when we go out in the X3. My vote is for the X3 XRS RR. You won't be disappointed at all and you won't be looking back wishing you had a skinnier less horsepower machine. AZ is a cool place with a ton of place to explore. I wouldn't mind moving there someday. Good luck with whatever you get and remember if you dream, DREAM BIG!

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Rent one down there for a day or two,

If you go the max route there are options for rear seat to accommodate cargo flat surface works for Dogs better I put in my old buggy dog’s wore harnesses upside down tethered to a D ring on the platform

I Have found a few folks that say their dogs don’t like the noise. I just thought it was my Sketchy Chihuahuas their big dogs don’t like it something with the frequency's. I added rear window way quieter for noise relocated clutch Intake even better killed 10 db like cheep ear plugs

I have the RS- R version in a two seat with two dummies in it its have plenty of power though a couple of times could use the 20+ more

If you get the max go with the RR/ RS get the suspension done you’ll be amazed

Let us know how it works out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...thanks guys. Lots of REALLY good information, especially regarding noise and the Valley Fever issue. I just did a quick read on it and considering my Doberman does have alergies it might be better to save her trips for the 4Runner. I hadn't given the noise level a lot of concern because I was thinking they'd be about noisy as a 4-cycle or maybe a quad. I think the test drive is going to be a must-do before we buy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Much louder in the cab than either of my 4 stroke quads.
And much dustier than your 4runner. Prepare for it.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Wow...thanks guys. Lots of REALLY good information, especially regarding noise and the Valley Fever issue. I just did a quick read on it and considering my Doberman does have alergies it might be better to save her trips for the 4Runner. I hadn't given the noise level a lot of concern because I was thinking they'd be about noisy as a 4-cycle or maybe a quad. I think the test drive is going to be a must-do before we buy.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Valley Fever is no fun I got it up in central California when building the Coalinga State Prison put me down for 3 weeks

One of our dogs got it that was costly but several strides are making some headway

The Canine Valley Fever Vaccine Project is a joint public/private venture that includes the Valley Fever Center for Excellence (University of Arizona)

If you ride out here a Pumper of Sports Mask is a must

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just doing some browsing and saw this ad. Would love to hear any comments on whether it's a good deal. I'm trying to gauge value and it's really hard with my limited knowledge. I see 2020 or 2021's in this price range but then they are stock. This is a 2018 with what appears to be really low miles and has some upgrades. Does that make it a better buy over new/stock?

Can-Am 650 Miles! - atvs, utvs, snowmobiles - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Really low mileage! You might have to lay eyes on it I can't tell if it's a DS MODEL not as desired out here the 72 in car’s are more popular

You can always do a carfax on it to see if it was a 🍋 not sure but the could be snow birders and his purchase didn't impress mama

·
Registered
2018 Can Am Maverick X3 X RS Turbo R
7 Posts
Hello and welcome. Be prepared for loads of fun. We were in your position a couple of years ago. I had the chance to drive a Maverick Max X3 RS turbo and fell n love with everything about it. The wide stance, the turbo power when you want it, and the super suspension. The suspension is the best. We got a 2018 model, a year old, after searching country wide for a long time. I could not justify new so the long search saved me about 10K. A year old with 32 hours and lots of extras on it, no brainer.. The search and pursuit is part of the fun. I hope you find what you want and go out find some cool people to ride with and have a ball! Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome. Just closed on our house in Fall City. Good riddens! Live near Glamis a few months a year. Montana is new full time. The machines are very noisy. I do ride occasionally with a couple who takes their dogs on our long rides with lots of fast sections and heavy whoops. Hes got a box on the back of his rzr. They do ok.

·
Registered
478 Posts
In my Opinion, too much. It has the base model shocks, and I assume it isn't the Turbo R although I don't know enough about the Max's to be sure.
Buy once, cry once. Get the most power and the best shocks you can. Everything else is easy bolt on stuff, if you even want it.

The windshield, Mirrors, Stereo, and walker links would be a waste of money for me.

Reactions: NAZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy are you talking about Fall City, WA? Also, how are you liking the 4 full seasons of Montana? I spent a fair amount of time in Havre as a young boy. Some in extreme northern Minnesota also. Talk about cold winters!

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
64 Posts
Valley Fever is no fun I got it up in central California when building the Coalinga State Prison put me down for 3 weeks
[/QUOTE

You must work for Hensel Phelps? My dad was on that job... If it is the same one I am thinking...

OP- Many of us on this site have OG Mavericks with a paltry 101 HP (or trail models with 75HP). I think any X3 model you get will be more than sufficient. Being new into the game, you may not want all that power... Things can get bad, quickly with too much throttle. I don't have a Max so I don't know about rear seats, but I have seen people remove the rear seats and put a platform in their place with dog beds. Pretty neat. width restriction shouldn't be too much of an issue in AZ, but many other places have width restricted trails, 50" being the norm. Jsut food for thought if you do plan to travel around more. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts