Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below are my thoughts on setting up the maverick X to work well in the south east.
First a little about me and where I ride.
I ride mostly at Windrock, Hatfield McCoy, with various places stops around GA/TN/AL
I’ve being riding SXS’s since 2008 and quads for 20years before that, I started on a RZR 800, moved to a S, turbo’d it, then an XP, last year tried a Wildcat (which is now for sale and I still have the turbo-S it has a special place in my heart).
I bought the Maverick to do most everything (fast paced trail riding, technical tight trails, 1-3ft deep water, rock-crawling, family rides (wife, sister, brother in-law, etc.,and at the top of the list endurance racing), I know the last one contradicts most everything else on my list, it is not easy to have a machine that does all those well and can win 4hr endurance races. On my turbo-S and XP in 2011, I was very successful racing and the Maverick does everything else without a purpose-built race RZR. Deep mud holes are not my thing nor is deep water needing a snorkel.

I think out of the box, the maverick is the best setup SXS for racing. The suspension is stiff, it soaks up 40’ table tops without bottoming, is very stable and has very little body lean, It is not twitchy like the XP, its more sure footed at high speed hitting ruts, holes and jumps. Even with the shaft saver it jumps well with little nose dive. The clutch keeps the RPMs high and the CVT never seems to need to backshift, it always seems to be in the right “gear” and explodes out of corners

I now have 20hours and 400ish miles on my Maverick. I’ve ridden at Moto Mountain (GA) , Taylor County boondockers (GA), Sand Hill(MS), and Windrock (TN).

First few hours out I did not change a thing while ridding at Moto Mountain. The Maverick struggled constantly to find traction even while I was breaking it in, using 4 wheel drive helped a lot and I’ve learned I really like the way it handles at high speed. On a tight / slippery woods course in 4WD, it will pitch the rear end out a little and the front end does a good job pulling. About 3hrs into the ride I checked the tire pressures and the rears had 21 just like the manual recommends. I lowered it to 15 and it helped some. I also softened the high speed compression 1 full turn, I felt the suspension was not soaking up enough of the sharp bumps, rocks, holes, etc.

Before the Taylor county ride, I reduced the preload 3 full turns front and 5 turns rear, to lower the ride height some and try and get the rear end of the maverick to hook up. I also softened the high speed compress all the way. Running hard and fast through woops and small jumps at TCB, I was using all the suspension travel and bottomed it out softly a few times. I had also picked up a 225lb passenger. The maverick performed flawless when I spent about 2hrs in 18-30” deep water, it never ingested water in the airbox or belt.

For the Sand hill ride I lowered the rear pressure to 12psi.
In the sugary sand of south MS the maverick did not hook up well (should have gone much lower say 6-8) but 4wd worked great and I had no problem climbing any of the hills, I spent more time in 12-24” deep water and racing some XP’s with minor mods and paddle tires.

By now it was time for the first service, which I performed myself. Most everything looked good except the rear diff fluid looked black, and all the drive shaft u-joints took 3-4 pumps of grease to fill them up, a couple of them had water come out of them as the grease was going in. My XP after 16hrs (4 races) of endurance racing looked a lot fresher than the mav’s after 10 hrs of relatively easy driving.

About 2 hours into the Windrock ride, I lowered the rear tire pressure to 11psi and the traction change was noticeable.
I also worked on the compression settings some more.

1) Lower the air pressure, why BRP thinks 21 psi is required in the rear tires is beyond me. At 21 it will spin the tires on asphalt, on the dirt it will spin the tires at 30mph. I’ve found 11psi to be the magic #, at 11 the rear end will finally hook up and squat on acceleration. 11psi worked fine running around Windrock at high speed with 0 tire cuts. 11 is still too much for rock crawling, the tire barely gives at this pressure.

2) Suspension – I feel the mav is a bit stiff for general trail riding, and way too stiff for rock crawling. A stock XP has a much softer ride and, well, the wildcat is much softer than the XP. I’ve very happy with the preload soften by 5 turns in the rear and 3 in the front. Also reducing the high speed compress 17mm nut on the shock helps greatly. I’m running between 0 compression to ½ turn (I can’t hear or feel it click, so I’m going by turns). I’ve also been stiffening the low speed compression (1 full turn clockwise) to help with bottoming during jumps. (These settings would be too soft for large 20+ ft jumps or racing). Someone is going to ask, so, no it does not ride like the wildcat, the wildcat still has a smooth Cadillac ride, with Cadillac body roll and 70’s Cadillac tank-like feel to it. The mav feels much lighter, nimbler and eager to change direction, something the wildcat does not like to do. For racing at Durhamtown, I’ll leave the preload as it is now, increase the high speed compression to 2 turns (from 0) and increase the low speed compress by 1 turn. So far I’ve not changed the rebound. I’ll get back with everyone once I get some more track/trail time.

Other thoughts,
1) The Diff, in the Southeast where I ride, and how I want to ride, the front diff does not work well. Except for racing it will be fine there, for rock crawling it sucks, for someone that likes the move difficult black diamond type trails it will let you down. That being said, at Windrock it never prevented me from climbing anything, I just had to change my driving style, I could no longer crawl over some rocks, Momentum became my friend as did aggressive use of the throttle. Note, if you are full throttle and when the diff finally locks, you better be holding on to the steering wheel tight, it’s going to try pull the wheel out of your hands. Still, the diff is not a reason to hate on or sell the mav, it’s just a weak spot from someone that needs to use 4WD a lot. I will likely install a QE diff in a few months.
2) Power steering, My XP had it (after I installed it) and the wildcat has it. The mav does not need it (I’ve ridden 10+ hours without my arms feeling overly tired), but it would be much nicer with it. This is also a purchase I plan to make.
3) Turning, It might seem crazy but the maverick seems to turn sharper than my RZR-S (on paper it should not, but on the trails,everyone that has driven both made the same comment).

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You must have alot of pull to get your mav so fast.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey thats awesome, maybe when mine comes in we can get together.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ive heard the 1st oil change on the rear diff is a lil dark , !

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for taking the time. Most relevant and clearly unbiased review I have read to date.

It is a good thing IMO that the suspension is on the stiff side from new. After a year or two of hard use and added accessories (and lbs) hopefully it will still ride well and not look or feel "bagged"

For what it's worth, from what I remember the oil was dark on the first change of the rear diff on my Renegade 1000 as well. I think they must use a very dark coloured oil from factory because it has never been as dark on subsequent changes...

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
ive heard the 1st oil change on the rear diff is a lil dark , !
That will always be the case. The gears don't just mesh, they scrub together. You have to wear the top layer metal off as the gears go through heat cycles and "scrub in". It will always be a blackish color with hints of metallic flake in it.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
On the suspension note, we have one over here in NC and ill do a shock wrote up on here once I tear into the shocks which should be the next week or two.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
That will always be the case. The gears don't just mesh, they scrub together. You have to wear the top layer metal off as the gears go through heat cycles and "scrub in". It will always be a blackish color with hints of metallic flake in it.
i was curious too about mine but my dealer changed the front and rear diff for free and did not save me the oil. Oh well i will never know what it looks like.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man I know this is a really old thread but you ride at some of the same places I do. I'm ready for opening day at the Boondocks and I'm heading to Durham Town this weekend. What part of GA are you from? I'm in Macon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts