Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Our family just received our 2021 X3 Max RS RR. Got it late on Saturday and took it for a quick spin before dark. Then again on Sunday crusing with the kids. Gotta say we love it. The younger of our two daughters thought her new "RACECAR" was awesome!! The wife had an older RZR 1000 before we got together that she says was no comparison at all. We have been lighter on the throttle to break it in as the dealer suggested and just to warm the kids up to it. We did take it out again the other evening without them and had some fun jumping it around a bit. The ride is awesome over the whoops at higher speeds and the landings are super smooth upon jumping it. I do have a few questions though.

I guess first I should say we are out in the dunes riding at 12 psi on stock tires. First question is what is the redline on this thing or does it hit a rev limiter. I read quite a bit on here the night after we got it saying that top speed was in the 80's so I went in the 60's and seen the RPM's were in between 6-7k. So I am assuming that it is around 8500 RPM where top speed/governor/rev limiter, whatever it is would be on the stock tune?? Tried calling the dealer and he said they weren't sure but just to not hold WOT for more than bursts during break in. Any thoughts?

Next would be that I have read that lots of units come new with a low ride height for the dunes. Didn't check our until now but it sits at 15" at front and 15" in the rear. From what I have read that is pretty close to where fox recommends it, but I don't know if that is the case for the 2020-2021's. I seem to see a lot of threads for the 2017-2018's but not really any newer. Did they take the advice of fox and raise them? Is this a good height? The whoops are super smooth above 50 in all seats but in the rear between 25-40 mph the back is a little rough. No complaints just stating what it is (FYI I cant hardly ride quads with the wife in the dunes for more than an hour of so...old snowboarding/snowmobiling/streetbike injuries that act up in my back) When we began to jump it a bit we noticed the front may be a little soft as the front bumper would hit and kick sand everywhere. The landings were the softest of any vehicle I have ever jumped. We only bottomed out the shocks once. We were hitting some smaller short radius 15-20 tall dunes that had nice rolling backsides between 40 and 60 mph. I am new to the whole sxs thing so am wondering if our shocks should be a little stiffer so we don't hit the front on takeoff or if we push it a little more that we may bottom out and possible bust or rattle things loose. It is manly for the kids, so the smooth ride in the back is the most important, but it we could make it a little more comfortable in the back on whoops at 25-40 MPH and also take off compresses pretty hard in the back as well we would like to hear your comments. Please feel free to tell me that I should be happy with what we have or that we should hit different jumps etc. Also if I need to be pointed to another thread. I am more than happy to read, have searched a lot while waiting on ours to come in, but maybe didn't get the best results because I didn't have an account.

Thanks everybody!!!l

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congratulations. I got mine two weeks ago and immediately went to sand mountain. I had the same problem with the rev limiter/ sped governor. Did a little reading here and realized I was using the low power key. One is for performance ( mine was the white one) when you start the car, the word performance key comes across the screen. The other key (green key) was the low power key. I still took it easy as I believe in a break in period. Run at different speeds and then let cool down and repeat.

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ, congrats. Well, first thing, too much air pressure in the stock knobbies. I recommend around 8 psi. You should be in the neighborhood of 17 1/2 to 18" clearance. You can adjust. Best advice i can give is buy 2 new OEM belts from Rocky Mountain ATV, and learn how to change them in you garage, so you don't have issues in the dunes or anywhere else. Have fun.

Reactions: Blitz2win

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Yep 8psi on the Bighorns. Once the belt warms up dont be afraid to work the motor. You gotta break it in right. Sand is a good place due to the additional load but pussy footin it around wont get you a good breakin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats to you too JustSand. Did you get a 2020 or a 2021. We ordered a 2020 months ago and were told we would get 2 keys but ours came in as a 2021 and the dealer said he was surprised but all of the 2021's that came in only had one key this year?? We are not having any rev limiter/speed issues we just were not told what RPM was WOT so we have been keeping it below 7000 until we found out.

Thanks for the tips Hollywood X3. Kind of figured that 12psi was a bit much as that is what I put the ol diesel down to to save people down on the beach from the tide haha. Will drop it to 8psi when I get home. I will get it up to 18" of clearance asap. Is there a specific thread you would recommend for setting the ride height and adjusting the shocks for the dunes? I have read quite a few but most were from the non max variety or a few years older. Also read through quite a few of Pound Sand threads but nothing specific for this model.

Sandman_73 don't worry man won't be no pussyfooting around with this thing when the kids are out of the rig. We have already sent it 80'+ of some of the smaller kicker dunes. Just haven't launched any super tall dunes until we had to answers. Will get the go pro off the ocean fishing kayak and find a good place to mount it.

Thanks again everybody!

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Congrats to you too JustSand. Did you get a 2020 or a 2021. We ordered a 2020 months ago and were told we would get 2 keys but ours came in as a 2021 and the dealer said he was surprised but all of the 2021's that came in only had one key this year?? We are not having any rev limiter/speed issues we just were not told what RPM was WOT so we have been keeping it below 7000 until we found out.

Thanks for the tips Hollywood X3. Kind of figured that 12psi was a bit much as that is what I put the ol diesel down to to save people down on the beach from the tide haha. Will drop it to 8psi when I get home. I will get it up to 18" of clearance asap. Is there a specific thread you would recommend for setting the ride height and adjusting the shocks for the dunes? I have read quite a few but most were from the non max variety or a few years older. Also read through quite a few of Pound Sand threads but nothing specific for this model.

Sandman_73 don't worry man won't be no pussyfooting around with this thing when the kids are out of the rig. We have already sent it 80'+ of some of the smaller kicker dunes. Just haven't launched any super tall dunes until we had to answers. Will get the go pro off the ocean fishing kayak and find a good place to mount it.

Thanks again everybody!
Setting up the suspension isn't too hard, check here and YouTube. Just have to adjust the crossovers. Know this though, with the stock springs it will eventually sag, no matter what. You should also take the time to read as many threads as possible about the front end. You should get one of the many shock braces made by our Supporting Vendors, and also either aftermarket lower a arms, or the Extreme Taco kit. I run CT Raceworx shock brace and arms on both cars. Great stuff, no complaints.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Setting up the suspension isn't too hard, check here and YouTube. Just have to adjust the crossovers. Know this though, with the stock springs it will eventually sag, no matter what. You should also take the time to read as many threads as possible about the front end. You should get one of the many shock braces made by our Supporting Vendors, and also either aftermarket lower a arms, or the Extreme Taco kit. I run CT Raceworx shock brace and arms on both cars. Great stuff, no complaints.
Dropped down to 8psi and noticed some improvement. Took it out 3 shorts trips like that. So far we have destroyed the front sway bar links. They slap so loud now. I will be disconnecting them to see how we like it without the links.

Our max came already set at the fox recommended setting above, except the crossover was set to 3" on front and back. As per your recommendation tonight I just cranked down the spring length lower. Now the ride height is 18" in front and back with crossovers set to 2". If I were to disconnect the front sway bar should I adjust anything else to compensate for it. I seen in one of the suspension threads that some recommend dialing the high speed and low speed all the way out and adjusting the crossover, but I can't seem to find where I read that anymore. Also any reason you recommended 18"? I haven't seen very many that high, but I'm gonna give it a shot.
Also on order is ct gusset kit with race plate, ct shock tower with straps, and a bunch more other stuff haha

·
Registered
2020 X3 RC Turbo RR
10 Posts
Congrats, we love Coos bay. Our carrier bearing went out on our maiden voyage. Sounds like this carrier bearing has been an issue for many and might be the knocking sound you were hearing. Pull the transmission cover next to the passenger seat and see if the U-Joint in between the carrier bearing and front diff is hitting the frame cross member. I bought a sandcraft carrier bearing and will be replacing shorty

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Dropped down to 8psi and noticed some improvement. Took it out 3 shorts trips like that. So far we have destroyed the front sway bar links. They slap so loud now. I will be disconnecting them to see how we like it without the links.
View attachment 262779
Our max came already set at the fox recommended setting above, except the crossover was set to 3" on front and back. As per your recommendation tonight I just cranked down the spring length lower. Now the ride height is 18" in front and back with crossovers set to 2". If I were to disconnect the front sway bar should I adjust anything else to compensate for it. I seen in one of the suspension threads that some recommend dialing the high speed and low speed all the way out and adjusting the crossover, but I can't seem to find where I read that anymore. Also any reason you recommended 18"? I haven't seen very many that high, but I'm gonna give it a shot.
Also on order is ct gusset kit with race plate, ct shock tower with straps, and a bunch more other stuff haha
The "common measurement" for Maxs are 17.5 - 18". Most 2 seaters are 17 - 17.5". Dialing in suspension isn't really hard, just time consuming. Find a nice chewed up area of ground, roughly at least 20 yards long, and run it. See what your car is doing. Is the ass end bucking? Slow the rebound, ass end bottoming? Slow the compression. Is the front end beating you Up? Speed up the compression. If it's diving or bottoming, slow the compression. Have a pad, a pen, and note your settings. What you started with stock, and then how many clicks you went either in or out. This takes time. You need to find the sweet spot on how you drive. Somebody's else's settings won't help you. It will probably if you do it right, take a good couple of hours. Know this, once you're set up, you'll still bottom on the occasional hard g-out or what not. (And if all else fails, let a shock tuner put on new springs, and their valving.) Then do the high and low compression / rebound settings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats, we love Coos bay. Our carrier bearing went out on our maiden voyage. Sounds like this carrier bearing has been an issue for many and might be the knocking sound you were hearing. Pull the transmission cover next to the passenger seat and see if the U-Joint in between the carrier bearing and front diff is hitting the frame cross member. I bought a sandcraft carrier bearing and will be replacing shorty

The wife and I took it out to explore some settings on the shocks today. Before we did anything I tightened down the sway bar links and we took it out in the sand with 20 psi in the tires. The driver's side was so loose it was definitely the culprit, the knocking stopped. Bit I will definitely keep an eye on the bearing for sure. I am also going to go over the whole car after finding out about the loose bolts on the links. Everything from bolts tightness to lube.
Do you come down to coos bay often? Judging by your name you are from Washington?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "common measurement" for Maxs are 17.5 - 18". Most 2 seaters are 17 - 17.5". Dialing in suspension isn't really hard, just time consuming. Find a nice chewed up area of ground, roughly at least 20 yards long, and run it. See what your car is doing. Is the ass end bucking? Slow the rebound, ass end bottoming? Slow the compression. Is the front end beating you Up? Speed up the compression. If it's diving or bottoming, slow the compression. Have a pad, a pen, and note your settings. What you started with stock, and then how many clicks you went either in or out. This takes time. You need to find the sweet spot on how you drive. Somebody's else's settings won't help you. It will probably if you do it right, take a good couple of hours. Know this, once you're set up, you'll still bottom on the occasional hard g-out or what not. (And if all else fails, let a shock tuner put on new springs, and their valving.) Then do the high and low compression / rebound settings.
I'm assuming the ride height of 18" is with gear on board but no passengers? The wife and I tried multiple settings today. Just with the ride setting at 18" and the rest of the fox settings I posted earlier we loved it. The front end didn't bottom out all over like before but we were still careful on the abrupt uphill transitions. It was still very spongy though.

Then we disconnected the sway bar with those settings and didn't even go on the whole lap we decided on for testing. We went back and lowered the front crossover to 1/2" above the dual rate slider as suggested on a post on pound sands thread. On that same thread it was recommend to dial the hi and low speed compression all the way out and then set the rebound to 16 clicks. Our lap proved to really increase handling but was pretty rough in the chop. Before it was so spongy we didn't feel very comfortable to sidehill out of a dune that we didn't come into with enough speed. We would choose to turn uphill and then back down it.
After lap one,
Lap 2 we turned low speed up one half turn which was also in the suggested at some point in the thread, then it was to be all adjusted by the rebound.
Lap 3 we turned rebound down to 8 clicks out....nope haha
Lap 4 rebound all the way up to 24 clicks.... Much better than 8 clicks. The rain started coming down pretty good at this point so we loaded up since we don't have the windshield yet.
Last thoughts. It was pretty darn harsh in the big whoops and at low speed even crossing the ruts was harsh. Also we had a lot of bucking in the rear. But we gained a lot of confidence in sidehilling, drifting, and throttle steering. Wish we could have stayed out a bit longer.
For the next time out I think we may move the front crossover to 1" from the slider. I plan on lowering the rear crossover some and playing with the other settings as well. Any suggestions on a good starting point for the rear??? I know it is up to us but up until today I had never adjust a shock in my life. Can't believe it after all the snowmobiles, Street bikes, jeeps, big trucks, pit bikes, 3 wheelers, and all the other crap I've beat on I never played with shock settings. Even on ones I upgraded shocks on I just left them stock settings and learned to ride around what I didn't like. This next summer the wife's quads and my street bike will have to get a little messing around with. Thanks again for any info you have and can continue to provide. I did read through pound sands thread for a second time and took screenshots anytime I seen a recommendation, so not trying to get info without research. Just until today it made no sense at all.

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
I'm assuming the ride height of 18" is with gear on board but no passengers? The wife and I tried multiple settings today. Just with the ride setting at 18" and the rest of the fox settings I posted earlier we loved it. The front end didn't bottom out all over like before but we were still careful on the abrupt uphill transitions. It was still very spongy though.

Then we disconnected the sway bar with those settings and didn't even go on the whole lap we decided on for testing. We went back and lowered the front crossover to 1/2" above the dual rate slider as suggested on a post on pound sands thread. On that same thread it was recommend to dial the hi and low speed compression all the way out and then set the rebound to 16 clicks. Our lap proved to really increase handling but was pretty rough in the chop. Before it was so spongy we didn't feel very comfortable to sidehill out of a dune that we didn't come into with enough speed. We would choose to turn uphill and then back down it.
After lap one,
Lap 2 we turned low speed up one half turn which was also in the suggested at some point in the thread, then it was to be all adjusted by the rebound.
Lap 3 we turned rebound down to 8 clicks out....nope haha
Lap 4 rebound all the way up to 24 clicks.... Much better than 8 clicks. The rain started coming down pretty good at this point so we loaded up since we don't have the windshield yet.
Last thoughts. It was pretty darn harsh in the big whoops and at low speed even crossing the ruts was harsh. Also we had a lot of bucking in the rear. But we gained a lot of confidence in sidehilling, drifting, and throttle steering. Wish we could have stayed out a bit longer.
For the next time out I think we may move the front crossover to 1" from the slider. I plan on lowering the rear crossover some and playing with the other settings as well. Any suggestions on a good starting point for the rear??? I know it is up to us but up until today I had never adjust a shock in my life. Can't believe it after all the snowmobiles, Street bikes, jeeps, big trucks, pit bikes, 3 wheelers, and all the other crap I've beat on I never played with shock settings. Even on ones I upgraded shocks on I just left them stock settings and learned to ride around what I didn't like. This next summer the wife's quads and my street bike will have to get a little messing around with. Thanks again for any info you have and can continue to provide. I did read through pound sands thread for a second time and took screenshots anytime I seen a recommendation, so not trying to get info without research. Just until today it made no sense at all.
Seems like you are getting a handle on it! Can't / won't give you any settings as I don't own a Max, and once again, it could be the opposite of what you're trying to get accomplished. Keep doing what you're doing, as I mentioned it takes time.

A lot of members (me included run without the front sway bar. I just like it better, gives more articulation, and makes transitions easier, IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't worry bout the first belt and read this
I will definitely give that a read later this evening. Just took a quick glance at it. We have not been easy on it at all since like day 2. That is why we wanted to play around with the shock settings it was just too soft and tippy from the factory. Plus we bottomed out a lot. Day 3 or 4 we jumped probably a lot more than we should have without upgrades. Parts on the way haha. Currently we have the shock settings super stiff but it handles great. We can sidehill now and flip around on steep dunes and throw sand over the lip. Also bumped the psi back up to 10 from 8. We can drift it a little more and throttle steer. We seem to spend most of the day in between 6000-8000rpm unless the kids are in the car.

I like the rig in your pic. How do you like the paddles? Do you spend most of your time I 2 wheel drive with those on? Are you able to flip around fast or drift with those? Or do the hook up too well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like you are getting a handle on it! Can't / won't give you any settings as I don't own a Max, and once again, it could be the opposite of what you're trying to get accomplished. Keep doing what you're doing, as I mentioned it takes time.

A lot of members (me included run without the front sway bar. I just like it better, gives more articulation, and makes transitions easier, IMO.
Can you at least say if I was assuming right in that the ride height should be set at 18" with just gear, no passengers? Also should it be set with the psi we intend on running in the tires. In the fox video I believe it said to set it with 20psi in the tires, but that would seem to help too much since it would actually be lower than real world driving?
Also we did a 10 mile drive after initial ride height ajdustment and checked. Still the same, then trailered it to the dunes did a short ride and checked again before playing with settings. It was the same. We adjusted settings and rode it hard for 100 miles. Came back, check ride height and it was 1-1/4" lower. Thought it must be due to the new settings. So we set them back to where we had at the beginning of the day. It was still an inch+ lower again. I know everyone says these springs are soft but I have a hard time believing 100 miles of hard driving in one day could do that. I expected some but not quite this much.

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Can you at least say if I was assuming right in that the ride height should be set at 18" with just gear, no passengers? Also should it be set with the psi we intend on running in the tires. In the fox video I believe it said to set it with 20psi in the tires, but that would seem to help too much since it would actually be lower than real world driving?
Also we did a 10 mile drive after initial ride height ajdustment and checked. Still the same, then trailered it to the dunes did a short ride and checked again before playing with settings. It was the same. We adjusted settings and rode it hard for 100 miles. Came back, check ride height and it was 1-1/4" lower. Thought it must be due to the new settings. So we set them back to where we had at the beginning of the day. It was still an inch+ lower again. I know everyone says these springs are soft but I have a hard time believing 100 miles of hard driving in one day could do that. I expected some but not quite this much.
Yes, I wasn't trying to be difficult, LOL. 18" ground clearance loaded with gear. 20 psi in tires is wayyyyyy too much. Try somewhere around 6.5 - 8 with the stock beadlocks / knobbies. Yeah, the stock springs really aren't that good. They will keep sagging and settling. Eventually you'll need to move on to better stuff, budget permitting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I wasn't trying to be difficult, LOL. 18" ground clearance loaded with gear. 20 psi in tires is wayyyyyy too much. Try somewhere around 6.5 - 8 with the stock beadlocks / knobbies. Yeah, the stock springs really aren't that good. They will keep sagging and settling. Eventually you'll need to move on to better stuff, budget permitting.
Ya we didn't leave the pressure at 20. But I will adjust the ride height back to 18 when it is at 8 psi. We will be headed out again tomorrow to play with the settings a bit more. We will probably wait to the spring to get some new shocks and new wheels and tires. The wife said she wants to get a toy hauler before we put to much more into it. We had talked about spending 3k on accessories to start. BUT....we got a new 2.5k flatbed just for it and have already dropped 4k of parts and accessories into it( once they get shipped.) Haha oops. Sure is easy to spend money on these!

·
Registered
624 Posts
MTS Off-road will be a Takeover at Coos bay in June of 2021. Last year i had them do the works to my rig and it was the best cash I have spent so far. I wanted the one on one conversation.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I will definitely give that a read later this evening. Just took a quick glance at it. We have not been easy on it at all since like day 2. That is why we wanted to play around with the shock settings it was just too soft and tippy from the factory. Plus we bottomed out a lot. Day 3 or 4 we jumped probably a lot more than we should have without upgrades. Parts on the way haha. Currently we have the shock settings super stiff but it handles great. We can sidehill now and flip around on steep dunes and throw sand over the lip. Also bumped the psi back up to 10 from 8. We can drift it a little more and throttle steer. We seem to spend most of the day in between 6000-8000rpm unless the kids are in the car.

I like the rig in your pic. How do you like the paddles? Do you spend most of your time I 2 wheel drive with those on? Are you able to flip around fast or drift with those? Or do the hook up too well?
I run mostly in 4wd, especially on the side trails. They are Pro Amour rear, too much rotating mass, over paddled and stiff for the buggy even running them down to 7-8lbs, hard on belts, they dig holes fast in the soft sand so if you're stopped at the bottom of a steep bank it's pretty hard on the machine to pull out, however they are tough which I need riding in the Oregon Dune trails with all the tree roots and slash as you know. Trying to find the "happy medium"......came close to the SS 360's but many experienced duner and X3 owners point to comp cut STU's, I just have to get the checkbook ready as I want to jump up to 32"X15" which means new wheels too. Skats just can't take the abuse out here if you ride aggressive on those side trails.

Somehow with luck I've got my shocks pretty well dialed in, I also don't run as high as most at 15" and as well don't bottom out easy. I never feel like it want's to roll and I float over chop and whoops pretty dang nice.. I know they will give up shortly as the stock ones don't last and will continue to sag and I'm not sure which route to go there either.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts