Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I used one layer of the thicker variety of heat shield. 90 mil I think it was. And I did re-apply the foam inserts back on top of the heat shielding in their original positions. Adhesive aerosol spray works well for this purpose. As far as tips...just take your time and cut it to fit well into all the nooks and crannies of the panels. Takes a bit of time, but your results will be better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used Frost King as a few here suggested and taped the whole perimeter with AC/ fridge ration aluminum tape to help prevent water from entering.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the cup holder heat issue I cleaned the area good and wiped it with a few times with a rag wetted with paint thinner,After it air dried I took some expanding foam like Lowes or Homedpot sells for filling door and window cracks. I initially sprayed the area with a lite coat of expanding foam and then smeared the foam onto the surfaces with putty-knife for bond cote. I quickly followed up with one thick coat and after curing for a bit It is easily trimmed to fit with a hacksaw blade.
image.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used 3M brand Metal-tape from Lowes for about $8-9 dollars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
image.jpg Also wrapped all the coolant lines in the console area with pipe insulation and wrapped the exhaust pipes with woven fiberglass cloth too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a thought but has anyone thought about putting a 10 or 12 inch pusher fan something with a high cfm rate in front of the tunnel and just push the heat out the back? Hook it up to a dash rocker switch to shut it off if your going in the deep or mud. I don't do either so I prob would never shut it off. Just looking for insight on this. Sounds feasible to do.
Just use a bilge fan, like the ones they use for the CVT inlet. A 4" fits just behind the filter box. Works well, makes a big difference especially at low speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
If you add a fan it has to be in the rear of the tunnel behind the motor. A fan it front just blows hot air out of all the cracks inside the cab.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been in touch with Troy and have ordered a console cover!! I believe it is a great idea. I have also lined all of the plastic on the bottom side of the cab with Thermo Tec. I have been married to my wife for 49 years and she enjoys riding ATV/SXS units so I want to keep her as happy as possible!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everybody well for the life of me I can't figure out why can am let these things out of r&d without fixing the heat transfer issue that we all have been facing my issue seemed to be the cup holders or the crock pots as I like to call them cause you can cook dinner in those things and the side panels beside the seats so I wrapped the exhaust with header wrap and the used thermo tec heat shield mat I will be going for a ride tomorrow so I will let everyone know how well it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I thought he only made them for OG mav's…….and the cover will get hot after a while

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a thought but has anyone thought about putting a 10 or 12 inch pusher fan something with a high cfm rate in front of the tunnel and just push the heat out the back? Hook it up to a dash rocker switch to shut it off if your going in the deep or mud. I don't do either so I prob would never shut it off. Just looking for insight on this. Sounds feasible to do.
one thing to keep in mind the alternator doesn't put out a lot of amps so at night with lights and a extra fan you might drain battery . I don't know exact numbers so I would do some research . i have run into this problem on other machines. one thing that helped a lot on my maverick is to wrap exhaust with tape made for exhaust tubing that blocked 70% of heat then with insulating the plastic I can putt around all day and no heat in cockpit

·
Registered
328 Posts
one thing to keep in mind the alternator doesn't put out a lot of amps so at night with lights and a extra fan you might drain battery . I don't know exact numbers so I would do some research . i have run into this problem on other machines. one thing that helped a lot on my maverick is to wrap exhaust with tape made for exhaust tubing that blocked 70% of heat then with insulating the plastic I can putt around all day and no heat in cockpit
most of us have wrapped the exhaust , covered all panels with heat reflecting insulation and wrapped the radiator hoses on the engine .

I run twin turbo fans in the cab, a 5 inch bilge blower fan in the engine tunnel, a light bar, and 4 rigid light cubes and a stereo .......zero issues ever . I did notice once while winching myself out of a hole at 2am that the battery was a little low and I needed to rev the engine for full winch power and turn the lights off......throw all the fans you want on it , they don’t draw a ton of amps

21 - 40 of 41 Posts