Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
We (2 quads plus my MavT) did a 40 mile loop from home Tuesday during Monsoon weather before afternoon storms rolled in. When stopped, I could feel heat (long pants, longsleeve t-shirt and full helmet/gloves) but not uncomfortable while moving. Yes, the shifter tunnel plus openings to belly skid behind both seats plus drainage ports are all channels for heat to migrate forward. Just consider that a "feature" when cool temps return!

Lost 3 more pieces of hardware in those openings between yesterday and today while working on my tri-band mobile radio install. Each item dropped sounded like a pinball game as they bounced into openings and onto the belly skid. No way to retrieve without removing skid sections and then reattaching with new rivets or other replacement fasteners. I keep hoping those lost parts will eventually bounce out on the trail but then maybe not. BTW, removed passenger seat base and back in an attempt to retrieve today's loss. No dice on that plus getting that seat back correctly engaged again was a PITA. Doubt that I'll remove again except for major service...
What kind of mobile tri-bander are you installing?

Is it possible to maybe take some fine mesh screening (but heavy duty) and cover the drain holes so parts cannot find their way to never-never land but water can? Maybe use some silicon to keep in place?

·
Registered
968 Posts
What kind of mobile tri-bander are you installing?

Is it possible to maybe take some fine mesh screening (but heavy duty) and cover the drain holes so parts cannot find their way to never-never land but water can? Maybe use some silicon to keep in place?
Mobile radio pictures with product links here:
https://www.maverickforums.net/foru...ds-upgrades-they-ll-happen-3.html#post1437976

I haven't attempted to install drain port screens but your idea should work. I'm just trying to be more careful. No parts lost in the latest mods project linked above... :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
It comes right from where the firewall meets the tunnel. There is a gap there. I'm positive its coming from the radiator... especially when the fan comes on. I was climbing steep trails and roads (Silverton Colorado) at high altitude for 8 days. If it hadn't been cold and raining the heat would have been horrible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We don't have doors on our Mav Max 1000 but added the windshield and I fabricated a roof out of aluminum. Windshield came about after driving in a hard rain up by Eleven Mile Reservoir, wife was holding the dog in front of her to block the rain and the dog was trying to get in back with the kids to stay dry. We where utterly soaked and cold so that day the engine heat in the tunnel felt good. Roof was because my dad and I trucked around Central City trails and got burnt to a crisp without realizing it because cool temps at altitude.

Now that we have both temperature regulation is basically opening and closing the front windshield. It seems to have the correct effect but we are not riding where it is above 90 degrees or 15 percent humidity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it warms up enough, the heat comes in just behind firewall even with 1/2 windshield off. Its coming from the radiator. It is miserable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree and I think the radiator fan is actually blowing hot air through the junction of the tunnel and firewall. IMHO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ran the back roads in Lake County last weekend with full windshield, roof and rear windows installed -- first time with those in temps above 50 (it was 72). Besides feeling like an egg on the griddle, the dust inside was pure torture. When I got home, I removed the windshield and rear window and it made an enormous difference. Now I can't smell any exhaust or feel any hot air. My plan is to install the front and rear windows in November and remove them once the snow melts. I had no idea how much interior air turbulence that full windshield creates -- not sure how much better a half-windshield would be. Regardless, it's nice to have both options. The warmth from the engine when it's below freezing sure feels nice.

·
Registered
968 Posts
^^^ Interesting but not all that surprising about comments on the full front and rear windshields. I can see those for dead of winter in combo with a heater but not otherwise. I'm using the Can-Am "half windshield" (which is more like 1/3 or less) which is enough to help deflect wind and dust slightly above eye level for me and especially for my pooch who often rides with me. I always wear a full helmet (motocross style with googles or street modular with wraparound sunglasses) which helps keep dust out of my eyes. That windscreen with compound curve creates visual distortion with difficulty clearly "reading" the trail while ascending rocky terrain. Its all I would want and nothing more plus unclips and removes in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
July 30, 2018 I wrote that we were having a lot of heat, really an unbearable amount of heat. We have had a dealer put in more heat shielding between the engine and the seats and heat shielding in the shifter tunnel. Both of these actions had some effect but minimal relief. We then replaced our Can-Am full windshield with a full windshield that can also completely lay down. This new windshield, when laid down on a hot day, makes a world of difference. it's still hot inside, however, with the air coming in through the windshield opening it does make a big difference. So, in the mornings, when the outside temperature is lower, we have the windshield up and enjoy the ride with no googles; then, when the outside temperature goes up, we lower the windshield, put on googles, and continue on. We had hoped that we could enjoy the ride on a hot day with the windshield up and no googles … hence the reason for spending so much money on a full windshield with the auto wiper with a water reservoir, which was really nice when it was rainy and going through puddles … but, not going to happen …

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Maverick Trail
13 Posts
Ran 1000 dps the other day in 85 degree temps and noticed lots of heat coming up shifter. After going through a little water it was like a sauna for a little making it uncomfortable. Think heat is coming from radiator not exhaust but not sure. Had same issue with Honda sxs and installed heat shield material which helped. Any ideas would be great.
With a full wind shield and mid-80's this last weekend, I noticed the same thing - tons of heat in the cab and from the shifter it was so hot it made my iPhone overheat and shutdown since it was next to it. #following

·
Registered
107 Posts
Found with ours, we had a hole in the skid plate, right below the rear u-joint or about where your right elbow is. That was causing it to roll up hotter air. New skid plate helped that. Still not solved, but much better than when the hold was in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same issue last weekend 100 degrees outside heat coming through shifter tunnel,I have the super atv windshield opened it completely up that helped alot love the windshield can either open it up a little or all the way up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It doesn't look pretty but on hot days I tape 3 pieces of reflective heat insulation to the sides and top of the center console and then drape a bath towel over the console to further help insulate and hold down the heat reflector material. This has helped tremendously. On our last ride I also replaced our full Bent Metal windshield with a Tusk half windshield and we were very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yup, my 1/2 windshild is now my 'heater'. I was up north in 82 degrees with the windshield 1 day. Put it in the shed the next. However I was out at night and it was nice to have the heat. But you get the dust from it as well. Which I can't take. There is a rubber boot in front of the tunnel as well. My buddies was 1/2 off. I have a gap at the pedals that also lets in dust and heat. I've tried all kinds of angles with the 1/2 wind and no luck. Time to fab up vents somewhere/how.

I do have mylar rescue blankets, I suppose i could build a heat tent over the console... yikes!

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Maverick Trail
13 Posts
With a full wind shield and mid-80's this last weekend, I noticed the same thing - tons of heat in the cab and from the shifter it was so hot it made my iPhone overheat and shutdown since it was next to it. #following
Put on a Tusk half windshield - tremendous difference.

·
Registered
358 Posts
There are a couple of issues presented in this thread; First, for those of us...most likely all of us, have "lost" items into the annulus between floorboard and skid plates. I have used a strong magnet to retrieve metal components with success. Next, it will probably not solve any heat problem to insulate the walls of the shift tunnel. The heat needs to be removed to be an effective solution. Attempting to capture the heat will breakdown any insulation, over time. I suspect an active system, such as a bilge pump to evacuate hot air, would be one solution. Now, to where the hot air would be moved to, is a mystery. Riding in 100 degree weather, and pointing to the shift tunnel as a problem, doesn't make sense to me. I do consider the heat as a "feature" and avoid super hot weather for riding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The main source for the heat coming from the console is the two bare lines that run through there. I insulated mine and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick trail 1000
12 Posts
The main source for the heat coming from the console is the two bare lines that run through there. I insulated mine and it seemed to help. View attachment 260977
I followed your lead and wrapped those two lines in foam pipe insulation. Also insulated the sides. I feel no change in heat level at all, still have heat pouring up through gear shift area. Seems to get worse the faster I go; I’m thinking radiator heat pushed through that tunnel by the wind. Full windshield in Minnesota, too hot even at 65 degrees!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts