Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to stop the hot air from coming in through the shifter tunnel? I'm thinking maybe heat shielding somewhere in the tunnel, but was wondering if someone else has already sone it or if they even had pictures.
Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've heard many people complain about this issue, but I have not had this problem at all. Are you running a windshield ?

·
Registered
874 Posts
We (2 quads plus my MavT) did a 40 mile loop from home Tuesday during Monsoon weather before afternoon storms rolled in. When stopped, I could feel heat (long pants, longsleeve t-shirt and full helmet/gloves) but not uncomfortable while moving. Yes, the shifter tunnel plus openings to belly skid behind both seats plus drainage ports are all channels for heat to migrate forward. Just consider that a "feature" when cool temps return!

Lost 3 more pieces of hardware in those openings between yesterday and today while working on my tri-band mobile radio install. Each item dropped sounded like a pinball game as they bounced into openings and onto the belly skid. No way to retrieve without removing skid sections and then reattaching with new rivets or other replacement fasteners. I keep hoping those lost parts will eventually bounce out on the trail but then maybe not. BTW, removed passenger seat base and back in an attempt to retrieve today's loss. No dice on that plus getting that seat back correctly engaged again was a PITA. Doubt that I'll remove again except for major service...

·
Registered
87 Posts
The opening to belly skid sounds right. I could distinctively feel the heat coming from the back. I cant use my 1/2 windshield and when I have to run slow I can't stand it. I'm going to try to fill that space in the rear with heat mat and see. I have full doors also.

Edit
I spent 8 days high mountains Silverton. Heat is pouring through the front firewall where tunnel meets it. Lucky for me it rained most of the time, the heat felt good on my leg and feet. :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
We (2 quads plus my MavT) did a 40 mile loop from home Tuesday during Monsoon weather before afternoon storms rolled in. When stopped, I could feel heat (long pants, longsleeve t-shirt and full helmet/gloves) but not uncomfortable while moving. Yes, the shifter tunnel plus openings to belly skid behind both seats plus drainage ports are all channels for heat to migrate forward. Just consider that a "feature" when cool temps return!

Lost 3 more pieces of hardware in those openings between yesterday and today while working on my tri-band mobile radio install. Each item dropped sounded like a pinball game as they bounced into openings and onto the belly skid. No way to retrieve without removing skid sections and then reattaching with new rivets or other replacement fasteners. I keep hoping those lost parts will eventually bounce out on the trail but then maybe not. BTW, removed passenger seat base and back in an attempt to retrieve today's loss. No dice on that plus getting that seat back correctly engaged again was a PITA. Doubt that I'll remove again except for major service...
Someone suggested using painters tape and covering holes in work area. I am using tape and shop towels now. Retrieval is impossible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ran 1000 dps the other day in 85 degree temps and noticed lots of heat coming up shifter. After going through a little water it was like a sauna for a little making it uncomfortable. Think heat is coming from radiator not exhaust but not sure. Had same issue with Honda sxs and installed heat shield material which helped. Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't have windshield or a roof. I don't notice heat coming from the shifter. Do people with windshields and/or roofs notice the heat rising? When is it felt moving, stopped, both?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its a tough one. I ran up at Silverton Co a few weeks ago really haulin butt, and then some rough trails, 6 river crossings all good. Felt some heat... Then had to go 25mph on main road into town and was dyin. Had to open the full door. Looking forward to time to fix. I have a heat pyrometer and am going to put it against everywhere tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a roof but heat feels down low and from the back, especially at low speed.

Correction: After big testing it IS coming from firewall meets tunnel. Definitely radiator fan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is causing the heat in the tunnel is the two lines coming and going to the radiator I wrapped them with tin foil like insulation and it helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
the heat is from the radiator lines i imagine. it doesnt really bother me due to the fact i am use to the commanders heat with the motor sitting right next to my leg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hit any water with ours and it's a sauna inside as well. Heat likes to come through the shifter tunnel, but mostly only when it's wet/splashed.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I believe it is coming from the radiator lines also. It's nice during colder weather. On the max the front seating area gets the blunt of the heat. I might insulate the lines this winter when I'm adding some accessories.

·
Registered
874 Posts
One convenient aspect is that removing the console shifter cover involves only 3 torx screws. I did so this week during process of installing a Btech 3-band mobile radio, with power lead harness and antenna coax routed inside the console towards front of shifter cover where I mounted the radio bracket (inverted). Should be an easy process to add insulation material inside, however must be type which doesn't absorb water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Once you have the cover off, the two halves are easy to remove also. Remove the single torx screw holding the center seat belt cover on and a few of those plastic push pins and the halves come right off. Each half has two metal clips that snap into the side of the shifter body. All of the coolant hoses are now exposed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: nbr013

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought a Can-Am Trial 1000 in May 2018. The heat inside the cab is off the charts, very bad. We have had our dealer look at it and of course they say nothing is wrong. We have driven it on hot days, on cool days, and on cold days. We have taken off the soft windows and back soft window. We do have a full front windshield. We have put reflective heat shields (like what you put in a house window to reflect the sun's heat away) behind and under the seats; this helped a little. There is so much heat coming up from / through, the shifter -and the shifter console- that it's almost unbearable. We love the Trail 1000, the ride, the power, etc., however, the heat is so intense that it really does ruin the ride. Everyone in our family that has ridden in or driven the unit says it's way to hot. If there was a money back guarantee I would have exercised it. We now ride in shorts and t-shirts and it's still very very hot.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take off the tunnel side covers and line them with some sort of insulation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have a windshield or top at the moment so no heat issues at all for me. I am getting ready to install a few things on my MT this weekend and service it as well. I will be flushing the radiator with Distilled water a few times before pouring in Engine Ice I've used it in the past and it works great. Just a thought if several people are thinking it's coming from the radiator hoses that run through that area.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Our has the RyFab windshield; sport roof and full doors. Have the full rear window too, but not installed.
Depending on speed and temp, the lower vent on the windshield is enough to keep it comfortable. On days that's it is warmer (say above 80F) it requires us to drop the front windshield. Upper doors open or closed, it's the windshield that makes the difference.

I'm sure it's the full windshield that is making yours unbearable and I completely sympathize on the heat, it's not cool (pun intended).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts