Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see 3 different kinds from normal fiberglass wrap to stainless steel wrap and a silicone hi temp spray 1500deg , what's the best ? Thx

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I've only used the glass tape, waiting till summer to see how hot the interior gets before I do anything

·
Registered
449 Posts
Benzo you should check with Jet Hot in Tempe. It might be worth the effort to pull the header and have it coated. We use a lot of their coatings at work and it flat stops the heat transfer. I have used it on Harley and race cars and it works.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I was thinking of the Coating and the wrap. Just remember to soak the wrap in water when you apply it cause it wraps real nice and tight and has less fiberglass hairs floating around.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
I use fiberglass wrap. I soak it in water and wrap it as tight as can with latex gloves and band it with stainless wire or CV clamps. It does a great job as I can touch the exhaust while its running. It's mess and a pain in the arse but its well worth it. Ceramic helps but not as well as the wrap in my opinion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
First time I have used the fiberglass wrap... Yes it was a MESS !!!! I didn't wet it... Wish I had read this & known I needed to wet it...

I was reading that there was a possibility of over heating and cracking the pipe...
Has anyone had any experience with this...
BTW I have pics in my section of my fiberglass wrap job let me know if I should change something...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my main concern was just getting rid of the heat by the rear a-arm bushings, so i would just do the back section

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
The cats are probably most of the problem as cats run around 400 degrees hotter then the rest of the exhaust. At least that's what I've personally found on cars, at 8000 rpm it may be more.
I personally wouldn't wrap the cats.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cats are probably most of the problem as cats run around 400 degrees hotter then the rest of the exhaust. At least that's what I've personally found on cars, at 8000 rpm it may be more.
I personally wouldn't wrap the cats.
can the cats be jet hot coated?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stupid question - 1'' or 2'' wide , whats easier to wrap ? for the back section
thx

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yep. I have used both types and the 2" titanium is the best. But it does make it easier if you wet it. I also recommend using the DEI silicone spray to seal it. Helps it last alot longer and spray it on in a couple of generous coats. Let it dry and reinstall the pipe.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so even the titanium stuff we still need to get it wet for best easy application ?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Ok so even the titanium stuff we still need to get it wet for best easy application ?

Yes the titanium wrap will go on easier and wrap tighter if you wet it first. The water makes it more flexible for wrapping. Cut it alot longer than they recommend so you can increase the overlap on the tight bends. That way it wont be short. Also, once you wrap it and clamp it let it dry completely in the sun before you start to spray the sealer on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts