Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing better to do so I share a few pix of my latest addition to my machine.

I did wrap my headers. I left the pipes installed, if I would have to do it again, I'd take them out. It takes so much longer to wrap this stuff around the pipes in the confined spaces. I'm going to chance the ring clamps to something better, I only had those Home Depot clamps at home.

The installation of the AReed rear tie rods was a breeze, perfect fit and as usual, exceptional quality....check out the size difference compared to the stock tie rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
funny IM right in the same boat! Just finished puting Dynamat on the entire plastic.finished that today now on my way to get some Pipe wrap and ordered my Tie rods this morning! was thinking about pulling the pipes also but looks a little harder than just wrapping it on the machine.did you use 2" wrap? did you spray that teflon or whatever they say to spray?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funny IM right in the same boat! Just finished puting Dynamat on the entire plastic.finished that today now on my way to get some Pipe wrap and ordered my Tie rods this morning! was thinking about pulling the pipes also but looks a little harder than just wrapping it on the machine.did you use 2" wrap? did you spray that teflon or whatever they say to spray?
Dynamat is still on my to-do list.
Yeah, I would suggest pulling the pipes for easy install of the wrap. It took me about three hrs. To wrap those headers, I'm sure with the pipes disassembled, it would take less than 45 minutes. I actually wanted to spray the wrap with the conservation stuff but they did not sell it, so I left it as is. I don't do any water riding, so I guess I'll be fine.
I did use 2 inch wrapper, it's a bit of fiddling around the tight bends but if you work it good it's not an issue.....make sure you always keep tension on the wrapper to avoid lose sections.

Which tie rods did you order?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
looks good! It is much easier if you take them out when wrapping them though....too late now :crazy: One thing you may still want to consider is spraying them with the high temp silicone spray. It basically waterproofs them so they don't wick moisture and is supposedly and added layer of heat barrier as well. Be forewarned, they will smoke like a SOB for about 30 minutes or so and you will think it is an XP1K on fire......it will eventually burn in and then it is odorless and seems to be pretty durable...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks good! It is much easier if you take them out when wrapping them though....too late now :crazy: One thing you may still want to consider is spraying them with the high temp silicone spray. It basically waterproofs them so they don't wick moisture and is supposedly and added layer of heat barrier as well. Be forewarned, they will smoke like a SOB for about 30 minutes or so and you will think it is an XP1K on fire......it will eventually burn in and then it is odorless and seems to be pretty durable...
Thanks Heavy, yes, if I'd have to do it for whatever reason again, I'd take off the headers.
I was looking for the silicone spray but Autozone down here in Mexico did not sell it.
I will keep my eyes open, I may find it someplace else.
Does the fabric hardens with the silicone spray?

The machine was already smoking quite a bit just with the wrapper....all good now, it seems like the oil residue or whatever processing lubricants which were in the fabric are burned off now.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Here is what I used.....yes, the wrap does feel a bit stiffer as if it hardened when the silicone spray burnt in....

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
no prob...

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Nothing better to do so I share a few pix of my latest addition to my machine.

I did wrap my headers. I left the pipes installed, if I would have to do it again, I'd take them out. It takes so much longer to wrap this stuff around the pipes in the confined spaces. I'm going to chance the ring clamps to something better, I only had those Home Depot clamps at home.

The installation of the AReed rear tie rods was a breeze, perfect fit and as usual, exceptional quality....check out the size difference compared to the stock tie rods.

Most places that sell the header wrap also sell the metal zip-ties like these....they will not loosen from repeated heat cycles like the ones you have on there now...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've used just a good high temp paint with ceramic sprayed over header wrap before which lasted fine .
Also ,spray the exhaust with high heat paint before you wrap or they'll rust real bad, even if you stay out of water.
Other people may not have experienced this , but it has for me.

Silica infused header wrap looks to be the ultimate, but it's expensive.

I plan on wrapping mine shortly ,

First I'll remove pipes, spray 4 light coats of high temp ceramic paint, reinstall ,run the engine up till the paint cures, or the oven or BBQ lol,doesn't take too long to cure once the pipes are hot,
Disassemble, wrap pipes in titanium heat wrap ( no need to dampen titanium wrap, it conforms much easier than conventional wrap) , another 4 light coats of the ceramic paint and voila

This is just for a good home job, I've had excellant long term results with this on dirt bikes in the past.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I did the same I think Alex has the best shit around as far as I'm concerned just wish he would get on the bumper program! when I scrape up a little more cash Im going to send him my shocks! that Is my next wish list item besides doors! still havent pulled the trigger on doors was thinking about the new Dragonfire doors

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most places that sell the header wrap also sell the metal zip-ties like these....they will not loosen from repeated heat cycles like the ones you have on there now...

Yes Heavy, These are the Metal zip-ties I have to find. If I can't find them, I probably use some muffler hangers... Not pretty but at least they will hold.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've used just a good high temp paint with ceramic sprayed over header wrap before which lasted fine .
Also ,spray the exhaust with high heat paint before you wrap or they'll rust real bad, even if you stay out of water.
Other people may not have experienced this , but it has for me.

Silica infused header wrap looks to be the ultimate, but it's expensive.

I plan on wrapping mine shortly ,

First I'll remove pipes, spray 4 light coats of high temp ceramic paint, reinstall ,run the engine up till the paint cures, or the oven or BBQ lol,doesn't take too long to cure once the pipes are hot,
Disassemble, wrap pipes in titanium heat wrap ( no need to dampen titanium wrap, it conforms much easier than conventional wrap) , another 4 light coats of the ceramic paint and voila

This is just for a good home job, I've had excellant long term results with this on dirt bikes in the past.

It sounds like you have a solid plan made up. How is the ceramic paint holding up on the wrapper? Does it flake off some?

I thought about possible rust under the wrapper but I think I'll have a aftermarket system on it before the first rust develops :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the same I think Alex has the best shit around as far as I'm concerned just wish he would get on the bumper program! when I scrape up a little more cash Im going to send him my shocks! that Is my next wish list item besides doors! still havent pulled the trigger on doors was thinking about the new Dragonfire doors
Alex makes bumpers or did I understood your statement wrong?
Screw the doors and get the shocks made from Alex.... You have nets which keep your body parts in the machine :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miniflexalex-

I think I have a roll of black laying around did it take more then a roll to wrap them.
I used exactly one roll of 2 inch wrap to do both headers. I think the roll was 50feet. I had ZERO left, the last wrap around the pipe was the last 4 inches of the 50feet... So if you keep the overhang from wrap to wrap somewhere close or a bit less to what I have, you'll be good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've used the ceramic paint over wrap and it seems to soak in fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've used the ceramic paint over wrap and it seems to soak in fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know, I've seen ceramic spray paint at the local homedepot, so I may give this a shot if I can't find the silicone spray.
It's ceramic paint they sell for chimneys and such, is this what you've used?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I used exactly one roll of 2 inch wrap to do both headers. I think the roll was 50feet. I had ZERO left, the last wrap around the pipe was the last 4 inches of the 50feet... So if you keep the overhang from wrap to wrap somewhere close or a bit less to what I have, you'll be good.

yea, I used a 50' roll as well and had a little left over but i pulled my exhaust off when I wrapped it so i probably got it a little tighter or I overlapped less....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts