Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s 2020 I’ve only been on a it a few times haven’t even done my first oil change yet.
it continues to over heat and over heat has anyone’s else had this prob.
1AF6286A-854D-44D5-B331-8229824044F9.jpeg

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Since it’s new, start with the easiest things first. Check the coolant level in the bottle. Dealers are famous for not properly topping off fluids before delivery. Check that the radiator fan is coming on when it’s supposed to (around 196 degrees stock programming). That’s about 4 bars. If you have an infrared heat gun, that will help too. If your car has been in the mud, check that there is no mud caked between the fins of the radiator using a good flashlight. If all seems okay, a trip back to the dealer for diagnosis and repair is necessary if it’s still under warranty. If it’s not, raise the rear end of the car and make sure there is no air still trapped in the cooling system. Take off the cap and let it come up to operating temperature letting the fan cycle a few times. You can see circulation in the bottle. If there is air in the system the level will go down and you can top it off from there.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If it's new, take it back to the dealer.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s 2020 I’ve only been on a it a few times haven’t even done my first oil change yet.
it continues to over heat and over heat has anyone’s else had this prob. View attachment 257460 View attachment 257460
Since it’s new, start with the easiest things first. Check the coolant level in the bottle. Dealers are famous for not properly topping off fluids before delivery. Check that the radiator fan is coming on when it’s supposed to (around 196 degrees stock programming). That’s about 4 bars. If you have an infrared heat gun, that will help too. If your car has been in the mud, check that there is no mud caked between the fins of the radiator using a good flashlight. If all seems okay, a trip back to the dealer for diagnosis and repair is necessary if it’s still under warranty. If it’s not, raise the rear end of the car and make sure there is no air still trapped in the cooling system. Take off the cap and let it come up to operating temperature letting the fan cycle a few times. You can see circulation in the bottle. If there is air in the system the level will go down and you can top it off from there.

Let us know how it goes.
thanks a lot really apréciate it. I’m really trying to avoid the dealer because I have a buddy that his unit has been their for two months I just got it I’m trying to ride jajaja just picked up some coil cleaner now noticed my radiator was on fire yesterday when it was overheating so want to make sure it’s not clogged up with anything. If not Monday it would have to go in I guess

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If it's new, take it back to the dealer.
Yeah it’s brand new only been on it like 4 times and over heated two Jaja I was just trying to see if anyone had a similar issue before it spends a month at the dealer Jaja

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Air in the system Like was said is my vote, unless you've been mudding. Tim,

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Found in this search on google. Hope this helps. If you use Google in this manner its much better than the search in the forum here. Tim

maverick forum air radiator bleeding

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Overheating seems to be sporadic with the X3s. We have 5 of them in our group and 2 of them are overheating and mine being one of them. The others are running 3 & 4 bars all the time and they do not clean the radiators as we do every morning before a ride. Ours are fine until we climb a steep hill or long run. Oddly even a highway berm ride at 45 MPH they run hot. You would think the amount of air they get at this speed would certainly cool them down. I recently bought a Dynojet PV 3 to monitor and lower fan temps. Mine climbs to 230 Degrees F and the bars are pegged. I never go into limp mode or get the HOT flashing light however the other X3 does. After stopping and shutting down, it takes about 10 minutes and we are back down to 4 bars. BTW the stock cooling fan "on" setting is 203 degrees. Mine is currently set at 185 degrees F and still runs hot. The stock intercooler fan "on" setting is 140 degrees F and I had Dynojet set it to 100 and the fan does not run, so I may be onto something. The caveat is, I have not seen the charge temp at 140 degrees. Note , I have had it to the dealer and that was a waste of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Overheating seems to be sporadic with the X3s. We have 5 of them in our group and 2 of them are overheating and mine being one of them. The others are running 3 & 4 bars all the time and they do not clean the radiators as we do every morning before a ride. Ours are fine until we climb a steep hill or long run. Oddly even a highway berm ride at 45 MPH they run hot. You would think the amount of air they get at this speed would certainly cool them down. I recently bought a Dynojet PV 3 to monitor and lower fan temps. Mine climbs to 230 Degrees F and the bars are pegged. I never go into limp mode or get the HOT flashing light however the other X3 does. After stopping and shutting down, it takes about 10 minutes and we are back down to 4 bars. BTW the stock cooling fan "on" setting is 203 degrees. Mine is currently set at 185 degrees F and still runs hot. The stock intercooler fan "on" setting is 140 degrees F and I had Dynojet set it to 100 and the fan does not run, so I may be onto something. The caveat is, I have not seen the charge temp at 140 degrees. Note , I have had it to the dealer and that was a waste of time.
Hello there, I've got this same issue. I have an '18 Maverick X3 Max XRS with 2,860 miles. It started going to 6 bars when it was at 2,700 miles. The X3 never went into limp mode. I did all the basics; checked bottle level; cleaned Rad fins; checked for leaks. Anyway, took it to the dealer (I hate doing that), and of course, they found nothing wrong. I told them that when I climb the dunes for about 3 minutes, it gets to 6 bars. Never done that before. Also, when I climb a regular dirt road, it also got to 6 bars. I asked the dealer to indicate on the invoice that 6 bars is normal. They decided to look at it again. They determined that the temperature sensor unit was reading 20 degrees hotter than their gun was. Decided to replace temp sensor unit.

Took the X3 back to the same dunes. What do ya know, after 3 minutes the X3 got to 6 bars again. I'm taking it back to dealer on 2020-8-5 to have them look at it again.

I've read on a Facebook post that the water pumps can have their impellers go bad. Apparently, they are plastic. I don't know if the dealer will replace the water pump, but the X3 is still under warranty.

BTW - what is the temp for 5 bars? 6 bars?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I would have to look again however 2 bars and your up to 180 185 degrees F. as I recall 7 bars is 230 degrees. 237 degrees it goes into limp mode. I have changed the thermostat and sensor with no change. A few days ago I took a really close look and the radiator and 75% of the fins were damaged or closed over. I spent about 2 hours straightening them out the best I could. I did notice a fair amount more air being sucked thru the fan after that. Will be going on a riding trip Thursday so I will find out if that helps. As far as the pump impeller being an issue to me is unlikely unless the the pin broke and the impeller is spinning on the shaft. If that were so it would overheat fairly quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts