Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you added a second battery to your Maverick?

Did you put a battery isolation unit to protect your main battery? If which isolation unit did you install?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
87 Posts
Want info on this subject as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm running two batteries with a isolator relay between the two batteries. When the key is off the second battery is disconnected. I'm using the stinger SGP38 isolator that I got off ebay for less than $20.

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Mrrpm.... ION or POLYMER? I was thinking about doing something on this front... ION and POLYMER batteries do not use the same system of charging. Did your battery come with some sort of electronic device to go between your charge wire and the alternator? I was thinking about adding a Lipoly with an isolator of some sort. I am into RC and I have some pretty killer 12.1,14.4,18.5 volt packs... Was thinking about having a separate pack to run a stereo as well...

Myron

·
Registered
492 Posts
@Mrrpm.... ION or POLYMER? I was thinking about doing something on this front... ION and POLYMER batteries do not use the same system of charging. Did your battery come with some sort of electronic device to go between your charge wire and the alternator? I was thinking about adding a Lipoly with an isolator of some sort. I am into RC and I have some pretty killer 12.1,14.4,18.5 volt packs... Was thinking about having a separate pack to run a stereo as well...

Myron
Have a look at the FAQ's here: Shorai FAQ
I installed a Shorai in my Adventure 950, but sold it before I could really give any serious feedback.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got it.. In RC we are always working with bigger better lighter batteries... The FAQ's don't clearly state the battery charges on the stock vehicle charging system.. This is where I'm curious. I have 12 and 14 volt batteries that can easily crank the bike and only weigh 16 oz... Problem is the charging.... Cant do it with a constant 13.6 volt hot lead coming off the motor unless you have some circuitry in line.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
They work fine with stock charging system. I've got them on a Renegade, and a Outty too.
They are supposed to work with stock charging systems, as opposed to the Lithium Ion batteries. At least that's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Cold performance is slightly reduced till the cells warm up. They say something as simple as running your headlights a few seconds before cranking fixes the issue.

They don't like de-sulfating chargers either.

A Shorai LFX36A3-BS12 is rated at 36Ah vs the Odyssey PC925's 26Ah, 19lbs lighter, and is slightly smaller in dimensions. I was actually considering doing two smaller Shorai batteries....one for starting and one for accessories/backup starting battery.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Stuff! Thanks for the info.

M

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK Cool.. thats what I was wondering... I think I can still carry a 12 volt battery that is capable of pulling 100+Amps burst and run a sound system for a while before having to charge... I'm thinking about using a smallish 2 channel amp and some marine speakers and run it off my phone/MP3... Easy enough to do and it will not be hard wired in so no power or warranty issues... Might have to run by Cabelas and see if they have some 2" cage mount speakers tomorrow...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts