Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am planing a trip to the Hatfield McCoy trail system some where in the neighborhood of July 25th. I'm trying to figure out which trail system i want to ride at and where would be a good place to stay. I am a pretty aggressive rider but don't like to get to wild. Also cost is a huge factor I am sure the resorts and cabins that are 150 plus are nice but I am going there to ride not to stay in the room lol.
Any help would be appreciated either going to have a group of 4 or 6 going with me.
Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
We stayed at twin hallows we liked the owners. Very helpful and never bugged us once. You cant beat the view there.

image.jpg

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys I am planing a trip to the Hatfield McCoy trail system some where in the neighborhood of July 25th. I'm trying to figure out which trail system i want to ride at and where would be a good place to stay. I am a pretty aggressive rider but don't like to get to wild. Also cost is a huge factor I am sure the resorts and cabins that are 150 plus are nice but I am going there to ride not to stay in the room lol.
Any help would be appreciated either going to have a group of 4 or 6 going with me.
Thanks
When the price is 150 per night, it's only 25 per night per person for 6 people. I've been to hm several times. Stayed at browning fork trailhouse a lot. Good people to rent from. Places there are always clean. We stay there because it's centrally located to the other trail systems. When your there for a week, you don't want to ride rockhouse for 7 days. Buffalo mountain is about 40 minutes away. Bear wallow about 45. Pinnacle creek about an hour. How many days are you staying? Each trail system is a little different, most of the water holes you will have to go thru aren't to deep. The ones on pinnacle get deep but you will see a way around those. As far as not getting wild, stick to the green and blue trails. Black trails are iffy, and the black reds are a definite no no for me. Plenty of riding without doing blacks and harder.

I see see your in St. Louis. I live about an hour north of there. Go often. Pm me for more info. I'll help you all I can. I'll give you my number in a pm if you want to talk more. Have heard, some of the trailheads don't have maps, so print them before you go from the trails heaven website. I'm going Memorial Day weekend and wood show you around if you want to meet up. I'm no expert of the place, but have been enough to show you around some.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks
Check out wvatvriding.com and atvwv.com for some great tips and maps. Mountain Top cabins or anywhere in the Crumpler area is easy access to the outlaw trails and 3 Hatfield trail systems.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Black trails are iffy, and the black reds are a definite no no for me. Plenty of riding without doing blacks and harder.
I haven't been here in few years, and that was on ATV's, I do remember a nasty trail that was black/red, had huge bolder type rocks that were almost straight up, pretty much a only winch situation. I also remember a long long down hill on blk/red, brakes were begging for mercy at the bottom. it was some fun ridding. Also sxs were not popular then, I think this was 09, rzr was only out for a year, anyway a lot of the harder black, blk/red trails said no sxs? Did they open most trails to sxs now? Is there any width restrictions?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I haven't been here in few years, and that was on ATV's, I do remember a nasty trail that was black/red, had huge bolder type rocks that were almost straight up, pretty much a only winch situation. I also remember a long long down hill on blk/red, brakes were begging for mercy at the bottom. it was some fun ridding. Also sxs were not popular then, I think this was 09, rzr was only out for a year, anyway a lot of the harder black, blk/red trails said no sxs? Did they open most trails to sxs now? Is there any width restrictions?
I think every trail is wide enough for SXS now and there are no restrictions.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a question for the Hatfield MCCoy trails, we ride in the mud mostly here in the Arklatex and never have used helmet we are safe and like to see people be safe we normally don't go over 2O mph are the HMT real strict on wearing helmets?? We'll buy if need be.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hm is strict about helmets. I've been stopped by rangers before a few times. More as time goes by. I always wear a helmet so no issue for me. They want your permit sticker on the left side of your helmet so they can see it easily.

As as far as sxs's on all trails, that's not the case. Most of the harder trails have no sxs signs by them. Some of the trails that are black can get really narrow and a sxs won't fit anyway. Plenty of riding there without going on the blacks or black/reds.

And just an fyi rangers aren't everywhere there. You just never know where you will find one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Back when I lived back east, our group (bikes & quads mostly) would go to the Hatfield McCoy trails a few times a year. We have have rode just about every trail system and have stayed at many different campgrounds. Always liked rockhouse and bearwallow. The best place to stay is ashland resort by far. You will have access to three different trail systems (indian ridge, pinnacle, and Pocahontas) and also the outlaw trails. The outlaws do not require helmets or a sticker to my knowledge and are awesome. Great mix of hills sand rocks and water. Riders paradise is an excellent place to get beers near wagon wheel.

http://www.atvresort.com/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts