Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,767 Posts
I've used both acrylic and polycarbonate for windows, safety shields, cases, and a variety of other things. The pros of acrylic are it's more scratch resistant and has a bit more clarity than poly but the fact that it's easier to crack and shatter offsets its attributes for many uses where impact or vibration may cause it to fail. I wouldn't use it for a window or windshield on a vehicle. But I have made windows and windshields out of poly and it works great for that. And scratches are easily removed with aviation plastic polish. Just be sure to wipe the direction that the wind flows over the glass and never in a circular pattern.
Whatever racing it is you're into you know you have to change the windshields fairly periodically. Especially under lights. Unless you use tear offs.

Any plastic window is a throw away item eventually imo.

I wouldn't mind if these things were cheaper. But they are so expensive I just can't justify them.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You may be surprised how long a plastic windshield will last. Virtually every aircraft uses plastic windscreens and windows. They may last for decades if taken care of. And most aircraft sit outside in the elements including dust storms. But if you don't know how to properly clean them you can ruin them in a matter of seconds.
Thats the problem when offroad. Not so easy to clean properly in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Depends what you are driving in. If you are in wet muddy conditions and or clay consistency, that stuff will dry to like a cement.

In the desert a windshield would last far longer.

Where I live you can destroy it within hours.

Dirt in some areas is far more abrasive than others. Some is far more sticky.

The only way to get it off is with gentle running water. And if you're 50 miles into the middle of nowhere you're screwed unless you carry 20 gallons of water and a pump.

If you attemp to clean that kind of stuff, the window is damaged on the first day.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Nothing you can do about that on the trail. Your window will be toast on its first use. Sandpaper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts