Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last trip out I tried winching out someone stuck in a sand bowl, I ran my winch down until it started killing my engine. Not want to give up I pushed it several times, got to the point the i couldn’t use the winch. after we got him out my x3 ran ok for the rest of the 2 hours. But it threw 5 codes, and said service engine. P1130, p2299, p0299 and p2806. I figured it was just because low voltage killing the engine with the winch. The codes have to do with low voltage and gear position sensors. Anyway, cleared the codes and went to test drive, it started pulling to the left like just the front left wheel was pulling, I noticed it’s showing it’s in 4x4 but I switched it out, it’s saying check smart lock but not throwing a code, then it seems to come out of actual 4x4 but the dash says its in 4x4. I can hear the 4x4 making noise, also the smart lock, it makes noise when pushing on, but not off. Also the low beams won’t come on, the brights come on, but no low beams. Had the battery tested and they said it’s good. I feel like it’s electrical, I just ordered a voltage regulator. Has anyone had this happen? I read the posts about smart lock and stuck in 4x4, but I’ve got more symptoms. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, I can’t ride until I figure it out 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
should have been watching the voltage....
it takes quite a while to charge up a drained battery

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should have been watching the voltage....
it takes quite a wile to change up a drained battery
i don’t understand what you mean by “it takes quite a wile to change up a drained battery” I winched the guy one full winch rope, then moved to another position and half way threw the second winching the engine started shutting off. It was a hot day in the desert. But the battery never died. I never charged it, and last night the auto parts checked it and it was fine and still charged, but the car is act like it’s drained when I crank the engine. It seems like something els is restricting the power.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
i don’t understand what you mean by “it takes quite a wile to change up a drained battery” I winched the guy one full winch rope, then moved to another position and half way threw the second winching the engine started shutting off. It was a hot day in the desert. But the battery never died. I never charged it, and last night the auto parts checked it and it was fine and still charged, but the car is act like it’s drained when I crank the engine. It seems like something els is restricting the power.
Think he meant "charge" up a drained battery (properly).
So are you saying it had 12.4v?
If so, did you check for starter issues?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the battery is at 12.5, auto parts store put it on a hand held machine and put a load on it and it dropped to 11.9 or something close to that. They said it’s good. I didn’t know about the stator, I just read about that a little Right no. How do you check it? It looks like it’s buried under a engine side plate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One of my buddies blew a voltage regulator on his old ATV while we were out... headlight brightness would go up and down with revs, until he reved it high enough that the headlight blew our. 😮

·
Registered
482 Posts
the battery is at 12.5, auto parts store put it on a hand held machine and put a load on it and it dropped to 11.9 or something close to that. They said it’s good. I didn’t know about the stator, I just read about that a little Right no. How do you check it? It looks like it’s buried under a engine side plate.
What is your voltage when its running ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
High 13s, when I revel it a little it hit 14 volts. I made some more progress today, in a way. I realized the lights in these three switches didn’t lite up, headlight switch (with low beam not working), 2x4 to 4x4 switch no lights and either in the stall mode switch. So 3 switches not working properly. I think the front diff lock is working correctly, I can lock it and unlock it, it’s locked in 4x4, I’m going to confirm this tomorrow. I don’t get how 3 switches are acting up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, I found the cause of the problem, I must have hit a rock and it flew just perfectly down and hit the voltage regulator, one in a thousand shots. It broke the plugs catch latch off and yanked one of the 3 large yellow wires from the stator out enough that it wasn't plugged in, it was still in the plug just pulled back from the connector. It was still working, still charging, it had barely 13 volts engine running, plugged it in and it went to 14 volts Running. That didn’t fix the smart lock and the low beams problem, I jumped the low beams with a hot wire and they started working. pluged the switch back in and they worked. I looked at my brothers smart lock plug and marked down what wire had what volts, then I found one wire on mine that only had 1.68 volts but should be 12 volts, jumped it with 12 volts, nothing, found one wire with 2 volts that should have 6 volts, jumped it with 6 volts, nothing. About this time it all went dead, I blew the 2x4-4x4 fuse (I checked all fuses several times previously and no burned fuses) so I replaced the fuse and jumped the wires again and now everything was working. I plugged the switch back in and it was all fixed. i still don’t know what happened, it’s like something got tripped when the regulator wire got pulled, and I reset it back feeding the wires in search of a fix. Ive been out twice, long ride today and it’s all good, no issues. Hopefully this will help someone if they have a similar situation.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Just FYI. 12.6 is minimum for a fully charged battery.

6 cells are 2.1 volts per cell. It is possible to be slightly higher at 12.8 volts.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
So it was the fuse, sometimes it can be tough to see that its bad. Thanks for reporting back

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it was the fuse, sometimes it can be tough to see that its bad. Thanks for reporting back
no it wasn’t the fuse, I checked all the fuses several times over several days, I know for a fact the fuse was good, both removed and visually checked and checked with a volt meter Several times, the fuse blew as a result of my probing with a hot wire. Before the fuse blew, the wire in question was showing 1.6 volts and the other was showing 2 volts, I felt the one was acting more like a ground or an accessory then the hot, when the fuse blew both went to 0.0 volts, that’s how I new to check the fuses again. then when I replaced the fuse it was reading the 12 something and the other 6 something like it they where supposed to be, very strange. Both the low beams and the 4x4 switches didn’t work until I back fed them with a hot from the switchs plug To see if I could make them work by bypassing the switch. Thankfully I had my brothers buggy to check and record what voltes all the wires to the plug where supposed to be, that gave me something to work with (I wasn’t about to just stick a 12 volt hot to any wire) and confirmed that the 2 wires on mine didn’t have the correct voltage to them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts