Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering if removing that vagina style rubber plug at the bottom of the filter housing and capping it with .......... would keep more unwanted things out ie; water, snow, sand, dirt....
I currently have the brp prefilter screen and the brp/twinair foam filter. But if capping that off would also help I'm all about it.
So....has anyone done this?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I wondered the same, I kinda researched it a little and it's designed that way for a reason, but I still wondered if it would help keep dirt out. The tire is blasting that thing with dust etc.

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
Interesting, sub'd! I'd like to know too.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Agreed, give it a try. The last years turbo was designed with a closed cap, you could purchase the optional duckbill cap as well.

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
I'm new to Can Am, and I thought it was a little weird, but there has to be some type of reasoning for it?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I've opened my duck bill and some sand has come out so I think it's doing its job and collecting sand that finds its way to the airbox. I've since added the canam prefilter so we will see if sand still collects. If it does, it's probably from entering in the duck bill at that point. I think older mav owners were adding the drain since they didn't come with it stock. Easier way to empty out the air box if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My '16 Maverick Turbo actually came with the cap (p/n 715900354) on the airbox. I ended up ordering the duck bill (p/n 714003114) later so I could empty any sand out quickly. I think the cap will be OK as long as you check it often.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know plenty of you fellas ride sand and I'm well aware of how destructive it can be....however I ride coal piles and let e tell you it creates just as much if not more havoc on moving parts. I have been checking that rubber cap frequently for the past 300 miles to see what comes out and I find a lot surprisingly. Now I haven't had a ride with the pre filter yet. But I believe I'm gonna see what that yields and them I'm going to seal that port off with something sturdy and non-permanent to see what happens.

·
Read Only
317 Posts
It is my understanding that the rubber nipple allows larger particles to escape. Let us know what you find out when you seal it up. I know when I had my UMP filter (used a Donaldson filter) on my RZR that incorporated a 'swirling' of the air (not near as effective as the S&B) larger particles in the filter house were alway towards the nipple and fell out easily.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
You can cap it, but all the debris/dust that falls off the filter will just sit in there. The duck bill is designed so you can squeeze it and let the dust/dirt fall out. I doubt stuff is getting in through the duck bill

·
Registered
146 Posts
The duckbill is for riding in dust or other dry type environments. The closed cap type is for riding in mud, snow, creeks etc.
The duck bill type works to some degree by ejecting dust and shit out through the duckbill when you back off the throttle, as this creates some positive pressure in the filter housing.
Try putting the closed cap type on and go riding in thick dust. The trapped dust in there will amaze you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve done my fair share of work on multiple different can am models. From the defenders to XMR editions and now I have my own x3. That duck bill is supposed to remain closed while the engine runs due to the suction of the engine. While the engine is off debris and water can fall out. But capping it off won’t hurt the machine. The XMR editions have it blocked off from factory obviously to aid in the blocking of water from the air box. I personally cap mine off even though I ride in the desert. Those bills are notorious for staying partially open just sucking in sand and debris from the tires while riding. I also open my air box and blow everything out after a ride just to help maximize the air filter life and ultimately the engine. Hope this helps👍

·
Registered
68 Posts
A duckbill is designed to not allow anything (dirt/water) in, but still allow it out. Duckbill failures are somewhat rare, and inspecting it could be easily added to your routine pre-ride check. It is on the upstream side of the air filter, so even if it got stuck in the open position, it would not damage your engine, although if it was wide open it could contribute to your air filter needing to be changed a bit more often, but a significant amount? Doubtful.

Now if you're running in very deep water/mud, then I would agree that it is more critical to be in good condition, but it is also more critical to be there so that any water ingested into the intake tract can drain out instead of fouling the filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts