Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one converted the 2x4 \ 4x4 \ smart diff lock from rocker switch to buttons?

i think my other question post with diagrams and images was flagged or removed :/

ive converted all the other ones to push buttions except the 2x4/x4x latching, smart diff momentary, and trail/trail active

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great question. I've had a desire to at least put the front lock on a momentary push button, instead of being integrated with the 2x4/4x4 rocker switch.

I do quite a bit of 2-4wd switching on the fly/off the throttle, and I'm always afraid a double tap will lock it up while moving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i finally sorted it out,

ill see if i can make a diagram/pin out to help make some sense of it,

i had 3 push button's, 2 latching, one momentary,
the interesting part was some of the function between the trail/trail active, and the smart lock,

enable, 4x4, it will go in smart loc, you can engage trail/ or trail active profiles,
if you press the front diff lock, it turns off trail active, and visa versa,

would be cool to see some one that actually uses the diff lock as you mentioned, and used a shifter with a push button for it,

if you were Rock/racing, being able to hit that on the fly, or maybe an old headlight floor switch?

ultimately, the smart-loc is suppose to auto engage as needed, and the trail active setting is a little more aggressive to this in some sense, so i guess it would be a delay, and could possibly disengage when you don't want it too.

idk i don't like most smart auto features, if you were racing and knew it was coming up, being able to quickly engage it on the fly and release it when your about to floor it would be a good advantage,

especially if you had a button for it on your steering wheel

anyways, i know that's a lot more than 2 cents lol

the front diff lock is blue/yellow, and black/yellow lines in the back of the 4x4 rocker,
if you want to put it on a separate momentary rocker switch
for the light, brown black -, and rear black+

but depends on how you wire it, if you want acc always on lights and engaged lights, or only engaged,
*(the push buttons i used only have one light )

i will post a better schematic, and some more finished photos soon tho,

trying to sort out the override button now, they have a launch control setup from EVO,
changing it from momentary to latching, and there's an added spring.

so i have the ECU lines sorted and can engage it, but having issues getting a "engaged" light on,
if i wire it how it should i only get a 3v signal from the ecu, so its realy dim, if i power the light and *(in both negative switching and positive switching ) it either gets light, or override, but not both, lol it back feeds to the ecu and doesn't engage the trigger signal. i can get it to work with out button light up,... idk i might need a diode in somewhere to stop back voltage, or possibly a diode, and a small relay to engage the switch light when active,
(since the relay could trigger on 3v, and initiate the 12v to the button light, but most im finding cant live in freezing or 90+ degrees ) lol i don't install finicky components in off-road vheicaels or that would fail in normal operating conditions, so ive been trying to pann out a work around for this light on situation,

when done im going to make a full diagram, and possibly some button panel kits on my snapmaker 2.0
(carbon fiber sheets, and billet automotive buttons or modquad rocker options )

lol the XP41k i did like this a year or so ago was much simpler to wire, the 4x4 rocker was super simple,

i would love to see some one wire all of the stock rockers on a F1 style steering wheel with all the buttons lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great info. 👍

I may look closer at mine this week. I just want the full lock momentary function on a seperate switch, which shouldn't be difficult.

You got me thinking about the switch lighting? Does the upper part of the factory toggle illiminate when 4x4 is engaged? On mine lower is lit in 2x4, and nothing is lit in 4x4. I scan the dash cluster for visual confirmation. Been taking it for granted that it's normal, and annoying that 4x4 on the switch doesn't light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is the normal function for the 2x4 light, on the push buttons i changed it, so 2x4 is light off not engaged, 4x4 light on when engaged, now i do get a scenario where , when 4x4 is engaged, and if you have trail active on, and then press the diff lock, it will lock the diff, but the light stays on for the trail active, , where as the opposite scenario, it turns off the diff lock, i believe the trail active gets disabled default in the controller, but idk if this will casue any real issues, as one supersedes the other, just causes dash light up confusion ? idk well see,

this customers a dune racer, so im not sure if he will ever even use it haha, but the function will be there.

i sorted out my override switch issue with a 3v trigger relay, so when the switch for override is engaged, it presents a 3.3v, that will trigger the low end relay, and allow voltage to the led, it says its good for 240v @ 5a, or DC 32v @5a.
so it will work wiht the 12v up to 5a no problem, improbably going to seal the whole thing in a shrink wrap tube lol

found some of these are used for Arduino / raspberry pi stuff, 3v trigger relays, and solid state relays too (8$ ea tho / vs $ .50 ea for the coil style relays )

the buttons are rated up to 5a,

thanks for the reply man, i appreciate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts