Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mav has always seemed a lil hard to shift between gears since new but I thought it may free up some. Well just over 10 hrs now and it hasn't, also it seems like it clunks into gear when I first take off. I've heard about clunks in the CVT being normal but not sure if that's what this is or what but it certainly seems like shifting is not as smooth as it should be. And yes I'm at a stop when shifting between gears and it doesn't make difference what gear I'm in. Isn't hard all the time just most of time. My Teryx shifted much smoother between gears so don't know if this is nature of the beast or what. Anyone got any ideas before I call my dealer???

·
Registered
640 Posts
mine sometimes shifts hard from hi to neutral or low. Putting it back in hi and moving a little bit seems to free it up. Don't know if that is normal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems somewhere awhile back I read about an additive someone sold that was really slick, I think they were using it to reduce whine in the commanders rear diff, wonder if this stuff would help?? Wish I could remember what it was called??

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Mine was only hard to shift when the clutch was grabbing a little. I changed primary springs and haven't had an issue since

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was only hard to shift when the clutch was grabbing a little. I changed primary springs and haven't had an issue since
That's what it kind of feels like to me, what spring you go with??

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have an aftermarket primary (CVTech), my spring wouldn't help you if you still run the stock clutch. Just saying that was the problem. You could try a new OEM spring, or better yet have your dealer take care of it under warranty

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
strangely enough mine seemed hard to move and shift, so I shot a 5 second spray down in where the knob comes out of the plastic with silicone spary. never shifted hard again...lol.. go figure

·
Registered
3 Posts
To do a comparison, I drove 3 different mavericks at the demo in glamis and all three hard shifted and clunked. Probably nature of the design or just driven hard and were hot? not sure

·
Registered
468 Posts
They clunk because the secondary is spinning when it goes into gear. The secondary spins because the primary is slightly engaged just enough to grab and spin the belt. When your in gear and the primary is slightly engaging, its pulling on the secondary. Same concept as shifting your auto trans in your vehicle into gear when sitting on an incline

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
pull your CVT cover and see if the secondary is spinning when it is in park or neutral. If so, pull the belt and see if your one way bearing spins freely or not. Also check your sheaves for rubber all the way down at the bottom next to the one way bearing.

Mine never had issues with shifting when I had my stock clutches but it did clunk when the clutches engaged......Once I upgraded clutches to QSC/STM, it shifts great and engages buttery smooth....I think I recall discussing this with KRIS a while back and we came to the conclusion that the stock clutches clunk because the secondary doesn't backshift all the way so the belt is loose in the clutches and when the primary engages it snaps the belt taking up the slack in the belt. Switching to an STM secondary should eliminate the clunk and also give you the ability to adjust you belt deflection so your clutches don't want to creep on you and make it hard to shift.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Seems somewhere awhile back I read about an additive someone sold that was really slick, I think they were using it to reduce whine in the commanders rear diff, wonder if this stuff would help?? Wish I could remember what it was called??
Tungsten disulfide, and yes, Arcticbomb sold me my little bottle. I mixed it in with my gear oil before I filled my gearbox and diffs. I can't say that I noticed a big reduction in gear noise, because there wasn't much noise to begin with, but mine shifts through all of the gears very smooth with minimal effort. I guess the big test will be how much junk is stuck to the magnets on the drain plugs when I do my next service.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tungsten disulfide, and yes, Arcticbomb sold me my little bottle. I mixed it in with my gear oil before I filled my gearbox and diffs. I can't say that I noticed a big reduction in gear noise, because there wasn't much noise to begin with, but mine shifts through all of the gears very smooth with minimal effort. I guess the big test will be how much junk is stuck to the magnets on the drain plugs when I do my next service.
was your shifting stiff before adding the ws2 then got smoother after???

·
Registered
548 Posts
was your shifting stiff before adding the ws2 then got smoother after???
It was never real stiff to shift but it did seem to smooth it out a little. It is no miracle cure, but it definitely doesn't seem to hurt. It doesn't take much in the oil. It did seem to make it easier to get out of park on uneven ground. I am anxious to change the fluids again and see how it held up. Only 20 hours to go! One note is that I shift it up into park whenever I am stopped or shut it down. I know a lot of ppl just leave it in gear and start with the brake pedal. The extra shifting up and down the tree may have something to do with the easy shifting on mine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It does have the Can-am clunk if I just stab the throttle after I put it in gear, so I just give it a little feather till the clutches engage before I stomp on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts