Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys know the windshield is hardcoated on the inside? I sat my muddy helmet on the dash the other day and it sightly leaned against the inside of the shield and scratched the heck out of it.
All I did was sit it down and pick it back up before we pulled away to ride. You can catch your fingernail on the scratches.

·
Registered
228 Posts
that sucks ,For the price of them they should be way stronger

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If that process costs money I would say it is not hardcoated.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Thats a shame, I know you paid good money. Has anyone tried to clearcoat a brand new piece of lexan?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's a bummer. The dealer doesn't know if the process just got skipped on mine on the inside or if all of them are like this one. Who wants to test theirs for me? lol

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Which windshield do you have? I have the Can-am 1/2 windshield and am pretty disappointed for the money I spent. After one trip to the desert it's all scratched up. I did the same thing too, I set my helmet on the dash and later noticed scratches on the windshield where the helmet touched it. Also, the front of the windshield is already pitted from sand. I'm sure after a couple more rides it's gonna look like frosted glass! Sheesh, I should of just bought an after market one and saved $100.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the full BRP shield. I have no complains about the front. I wipe it off frequently when I am driving it. We do a lot of mud riding and the spray makes it a mess.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That would actually be pretty cool. My wife likes a windshield to keep the wind off her face but hates it when it gets dusty and she can't see through or over it. I just look over it.
I just finished up installing my UTV Inc windshield and I'm actually not to impressed with that unit either.

First thing I see when I pull it out of the box is they don't 'finish' the edges. It's cut well but I would have thought the edges should have been polished so you don't see 'machine' marks.

DSCN1412.JPG

So if they won't do it I have to. Started out with 220 grit sandpaper and got what I thought were most of the marks out and then moved to 400 wet sand paper which gave the edge a much more clean look. Of course, after looking at it in the picture I could have done a lot better but it actually looks pretty good now. Their mount brackets are effective but pretty cheap.

DSCN1415.JPG

So after I install it I was really disappointed in the rigidity of the glass. It flopped around way to much even when just shaking the vehicle. So I figure I'm going to have to put it lower and have the bottom edge rest against the hood which will scratch it. Here's the part that really gets me on the UTV Inc shield, they don't supply a rubber gasket for the bottom because they say it doesn't need one. In their opinion it's rigid enough. I'll call bull on that one becaues it's just not true. So I bought some gasket from the auto store that is 1/4" wide and trimmed it up to fit the contours of the glass and then super glued all the edges back together. Now that it's installed it's pretty solid but it is going to leave rub marks on the hood. Just cant' get away from that. I'm pretty happy now, other than the scratch that was already on it right in my line of view, but it's on good anyhow. Now we'll see if their claim about it being scratch resistant is true or not.

DSCN1416.JPG

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
What about using that new stuff I've seen TV. You spray it on from a can and it peels off like a tear-off.
They have been advertising them for hoods to protect your paint from rock chips. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts