Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding Tuesday, just myself and passenger. Taking it kinda easy because of this, cruising 10 to 20 in sport low. Came to a place I could open it up a little and got up to around 30, slowed down for a mud hole and got back into the throttle. Went approx 200 yards and had no throttle response. I looked down and check engine light came on and the dash was flashing check engine. I thought great going into limp mode, but it stalled before I could get stopped. I thought wtf I checked the oil and water level before I left and made sure the rad wasnt plug with mud.. The temp gauge was 1 notch from being full bars. I turned key off and jumped out checked the rad overflow it was was at the low mark, so it wasnt boiling over. Rad was clean and open. But I did not hear the fan running. Looked underneath and skid plate was intact (UHMV 1/2 full skid). Now maybe at the most 5 min has gone by, temp gauge reading 1 bar less (2 bars from full) then when it shut off. Check engine flashed once and went away, check engine light went off so I hit start. The fan did come on as soon as I started the engine. It fired and off I went, rode another 70 miles with out a problem. The temp dropped as soon as I took off and never got above halfway the rest of the day and the outside air temp got 20 degrees warmer as the day went on.

Any one else had this problem? When I got home, I checked the wiring connections on the fan and sport low and they were tight. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Similar situation, riding in woods it stalled, check engine light no throttle. Restarted and same light? Tried again this time in park and both sport buttons off, it fired right up and went back to normal and still is?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bet it's your sport low harness shorting out. Mine did the same thing... Minus the stalling

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
do u guys both have sport low ?

nevermind I see u guys do lol

Reactions: BigShow

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I wondered if the computer did not hickup and not turn the fan on. Because the fan was not running when it shut off and didnt until I let it set and turn the key back on. At that temp I think the fan should of been cranking hard. If it does it again I am going to take out sport low and see how it acts for a day or 2.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
These machines are notorious for loose clamps and especially the squeeze clamps, or one time use clamps on the radiator lines that are near the engine heads. Your coolant got low and air got into the system and created an air lock or bubble. It purged through when you turned the key off and when you turned it back on, the hot coolant hit the sensor and the fan activated. Best advice, get off those console plastics and discard the one time clamps on the coolant lines and install a quality stainless worm drive hose clamp available at your local hardware or auto parts store. Your coolant will stop disappearing and you won't run into the mystery overheat and limp mode for this reason!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I hate those BRP clamps. I lost coolant in my skidoos because of those clamps. I replaced them all with stainless worm drive clamps also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thank you, I will look into changing the clamps. I have not lost any coolant to my knowledge though. My rad fluid level has stayed the same since the day I brought it home. I have been checking the rad fluid level weekly from see other people having leaks from the clamps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a worm hose clamp on the radiator but don't know about the motor sides. What is the best way to get to the ones on the motor? I just don't want to take off unnecessary panels if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cooling the motor off rapidly will throw a code, for example if you went thru puddle of cold water. Bet that's what happened to ya.

Reactions: BigShow

·
Registered
875 Posts
OP has the fan issue happened a second time since this first occurance? Mine did something similar today. Was wheeling hard all day without issue came to a stop and noticed my temp gauge was pegged but no fan. Turned it off and restarted it and the fan worked. I don't see how the sport low would directly affect the fan switch. Also is there only the temp sensor on the head that gibes the gauge its reading as well as turns on the fan?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts