Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Great Customer Service

5K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  mrrpm 
#1 ·
These are replies I got from asking Arrogant MrRPM the simple Question of where is the best RPM to tune my clutch..couple weeks ago.....i guess he has no idea so this is his only rebuttal....

Text Font Screenshot Line Technology

Text Font Screenshot Line Technology
Text Font Technology Screenshot Electronic device

Watch out for that overrev... LOL
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waqC5fzJ7w4

See less See more
#5 ·
Forms= Exposure of the ugly Truth!

#11 ·
This guy asked for my opinion, then doesn't like it when I give it. If you don't want an opinion, don't ask for one.

He then states that "my clutch sucks compared to stock", then after I agree, & call it junk, he says it's better than stock!

I was referring to setup for RPM range because of all rhe speculation...And never ask if my clutch was junk...But thats OK KRIS instantly told me all of his finding and was really nice and remember im not running his setup....Just my over revving junk CVtech that is a cheap replacement for stock...... What a nice guy and for sure Ill be running that setup when i save a bit more... Thats how u gain customers

And yes "Forums" do expose the truth but they are here as a learning tool to help us get the most out of what we each prefer to run... Be that CVtech , STM, OSC or Stock....

For any one wanting to know im pretty confident the peak power is linear between 7600 and 8000 but falls hard then... FYI But what do i know my clutch is trash- :)

#7 ·
C.Moore asked:
Hello, I've been trying to get a answer on how the mavericks are clutched from the factory, mine will jump to the 7800 rpm range out of the hole but at around 50mph mine will drop to 7300. Kms performance said this isn't normal along with a few other people, I have a stiffer secondary spring (black/purple) that I bought from airdam I'll be installing g this weekend. Have you seen any mavericks drop rpms like this on the shift out?

To which I replied:

This is called overrev. The fix, is to buy a good racing clutch, like STM, & tune it out.
My Maverick overrevs badly too.

This guy asked about a clutch problem, I identified it, told him how to fix it, then stated that mine had the same problem. What is wrong with that? response?

#8 ·
How is it over rev if that is where the power is made? I was under the impression that 76-8000 is where u want it to be. I think what he was asking is why is it down shifting to 7300 out of the optimal power range at 50. Don't u want it to jump up to 8000 and stay there?

#13 ·
I think what he was asking is why is it down shifting to 7300 out of the optimal power range at 50. Don't u want it to jump up to 8000 and stay there?
Yes, that's exactly right, the motor needs to rev to max power, & hold.

The stock one, and a CVTrash will rev to say 8000, then come back down. This is the definition of overrev. When it revs up, the belt is slipping. When the rpms comes down, that is the true rpm of the shiftout.

There could be other issues with overrev on the stock clutch, not related to the clutch, as stock clutches don't usually overrev. CVT clutches react to torque, if the amount the torque the motor is making is changing, so will the shift speed.

#9 ·
And as for ridge rider he was stating that his clutch set up was off or junky. Not the clutch itself. I ran a cvtech in my commander for two years without ever having a problem, that doesn't make me a clutch expert but I do believe it worked much better than the stock clutch for my driving style. I don't race these things and needed belt grip and lower engagement and the cvtech worked very well for me

#10 ·
Hmm, I am liking my CVtrash so far, and don't seem to have any over rev at all. Not that 7800 RPM is over-rev anyhow. Airdam claimed that 8000 or even 8050 seemed to be where the power was and that is what he set my clutch up to pull in low range with 34" mud tires. This was also confirmed by mrrpm's dyno sheet. Should be no question as to what RPM these Mavericks should be clutched for.

I don't know mrrpm and have had no dealings with him but I get the feeling that his sh*% don't stink. Not sure why he is here on the forum if he is not interested in helping people solve issues.

#12 ·
Yes, Kris has it correct. I read his posts on the other thread.

These clutches are nothing new, we've all been thru all this on ATV's. The problem with the CVTrash is the fact that it overrevvs really bad. They can be helped by installing a really low initial rate spring, thus allowing the clutch have more belt clamp when the belt is low in the primary. This is only a patch. This only lowers the stall speed, and to raise it, requires a stronger spring, which makes it overrev.

Now...on the Mav, it overrevs as stock, or at least mine does, and according to some others on here, theirs does too. Why would anyone install a clutch that is known for overrev, on a machine that already has overrev issues??

What the truth is, is most people don't know what overev is, and bolt on a clutch that allows their motor to rev up really quick, and they think they have more power, or perceived more power. When in fact, what's happening is the belt is slipping when the belt is low in the primary, allowing the motor to rev, then reign it back in, as the belt moves up in the primary.

A QSC has adjustable weights to deal with this very problem. So does the STM. CVTrash does not.

Ya'll need to be aware that a cast clutch will explode at high revs. (ask me how I know) They aren't usually to be revved past 8500rpms. The QSC is a fine clutch, except it has a lot of parts that are cast. The STM is all billet, and I have personally tested them to over 10,000rpms, without fail.

The STM Rage 3 is their introductory model, is priced around $800. So I don't see why anyone would argue price, or anything else.

I have posted the rpm range, and the power was still climbing when the rev limiter kicked in at 8000. I do have the full Muzzy installed, maybe that is raising the power range, idk.

#14 · (Edited)
The STM Rage 3 is their introductory model, is priced around $800. So I don't see why anyone would argue price, or anything else.
So tell us, does it have a nice smooth engagement similar to stock that is not going to sacrifice trail drivability? Or does it have a choppy engagement due to it's loose belt at idle setup similar to a snowmobile? When properly tuned, how are the STM primary's engine breaking manners? With engine breaking below engagement I want all or nothing. I don't want half way in between with a screeching belt (similar to what I have experienced with my QSC primary and STM Secondary).

These are the main reasons I steered clear of the STM primary. I have never tried one but this is what others who have, have told me. If it has a smooth engagement that will not scorch my belt in the mud or make my wife bit*# and complain when she tries to drive it, I will buy one.

#16 ·
MRRPM and KRIS's bullisht jargon to try and make the CVtech look bad.

greg, you can install a CVtech on a maverick and have absolutely NO over-rev. just how it is, you can tell your jargon all the way from here to tomorrow but i build them for folks and make people happy every day. it works better than you know. you hate it, you dont like me, so whatever bash away. it runs perfectly fine, puts power to the ground, has amazing trail manners, and does not burn belts. with my primary, sport mode low range switch, we're walking wheelies in low range with 33/34" tires with a 1900RPM stall. lemme know when you make an STM do that. i have done a few full STM setups on mavericks, and you'll see that they dont over-rev, they under rev. throw any helix at it you want, and its just not gonna go straight to 7800 like you want. happy trails fixing that one. you bolt up an ///AIRDAM'd CVtech and that dude jumps straight to the power, EVERY TIME. boy howdy these clutch threads get messier and messier every time i look on the threads.

#17 ·
Different strokes for different folks, Adam I talked to you about my rpms dropping when my secondary was shifting out and you hooked me up with a spring to fix my problem, I haven't installed it yet but I just want to say thanks for talking to me and educating me on the problem. In my book that goes a long way, I'll let you know how the spring does this weekend

#26 ·
Ive talked to KRIS, AIRDAM, and Adam at QSC.....Not one of them talked shit about each other....This wasn't intended to be a pissing match....I bought my CVTech from Adam and had some trouble and Im having some trouble now but after I get in touch with him he helps me.... All these Clutches are better than what comes on it...MrRPM has the shit talking covered... And every vid that I have seen of the QSC or any other clutch they all have some overrev...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.