Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I finally did mine, 2020 with 600 miles. Did about 15-18 pumps on all 4 wheels. The CA tool makes it easy

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm not buying the "too much grease is bad" concept. I do buy "too little or dirty grease is bad concept". If you do not pump them full there is no way to get rid of the dirty grease. I would rather pump out the old and replace with new grease any day over a few pumps to just mix dirty and clean grease together. Mechanics have been using a lot of grease on front wheel bearings in cars for decades up until cartridge's became the norm.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I'm not buying the "too much grease is bad" concept. I do buy "too little or dirty grease is bad concept". If you do not pump them full there is no way to get rid of the dirty grease. I would rather pump out the old and replace with new grease any day over a few pumps to just mix dirty and clean grease together. Mechanics have been using a lot of grease on front wheel bearings in cars for decades up until cartridge's became the norm.
I can see the "too much grease" theory in a completely different application where "high speed" bearings are critical with tolerances and heat.
Very doubtful a Can Am wheel bearing will "burn up" from too much grease....

All my time using automotive wheel bearing packers filled them tight with grease.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Got Timken bearings in mine - just ASSUME Timken knows how much grease is SUPPOSED to go on em.

The least amount of miles I got from a set was around 8,000 and the most was around 20,000 - guessing, but the difference was PROBABLY riding in the dry desert vs the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am just under 7400 miles and never put any grease in my wheel bearings. I agree riding in dry desert or dry environments make for the bearings last longer.

If I rode in mud and water I would be greasing and replacing bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Registered
62 Posts
Funny about those bearings.
I have 4,900 miles on mine and haven't had anything apart except to put brakes on it.....

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I'm sure there are those who have experienced premature bearing failure do to lack of grease no matter the driving conditions...just saying!
Question then becomes, do I grease them or don't, since some never have issues.

Is it worth the worry or worth doing?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can see the "too much grease" theory in a completely different application where "high speed" bearings are critical with tolerances and heat.
Very doubtful a Can Am wheel bearing will "burn up" from too much grease....

All my time using automotive wheel bearing packers filled them tight with grease.
Roller bearings are designed to "roll". When packed full, they have a tendency to "skid" due to the inability to move. Thus causing premature failure. In our race cars, we only add grease between every other roller. Take in mind that our bearings are very regularly serviced and inspected. Bearings on autos and trailers usually go until they fail. Bearing buddies on boat trailers are more for water displacement than greasing. Packing your SxS bearings full if you're submersing them in water or mud a lot might be a good idea, but immediate servicing should still be done.

Remember, you can't compress a liquid and if you're over greasing them to push out the old dirty, hard grease, shouldn't you be cleaning them instead of taking a chance that the new grease isn't going around the grime.

Reactions: iam_canadian22
21 - 27 of 27 Posts