Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally done them today. All 4 were completely dry of grease. 2020 model. Took about 3 hours for all 4 wheels. Used the CA Technologies tool and worked perfectly. Money well spent.
I swear the X3 is running smoother now. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
How do you know they were completely dry? Did you open up the seals or judging based on X amount of pumps it took? Asking because I haven't did mine on my 2020 but it's on my To-Do list.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wheel bearings never come dry, they come properly greased. Issue is in offroad enviroments they take on dirt and water which kills em quick. Unless you strictly ride mud/water 4-5pumps a season is all you need. Too much grease can also cause premature failure.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is my concern and what I'm aware of...seems to me many are blindly putting in 20 pumps of grease then assuming they are dry. Not saying this is the OP's case but is what I have commonly been seeing. The videos stating to pump grease until is comes out of the seals seems rather misleading to me...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I pumped 20+ pumps into my X3 bearings at 800 miles. Just greased again at 3900 miles. Bearings had oily grease still in them but now they are good with fresh grease again but only 12 or so pumps each.

My bearings are still very tight without play. No doubt the grease is great. Too much grease just pushes some out the back. I don’t think that’s an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
646 Posts
I pumped 20+ pumps into my X3 bearings at 800 miles. Just greased again at 3900 miles. Bearings had oily grease still in them but now they are good with fresh grease again but only 12 or so pumps each.

My bearings are still very tight without play. No doubt the grease is great. Too much grease just pushes some out the back. I don’t think that’s an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They're not supposed to be completely full, that will cause them to heat up when running higher speeds

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you know they were completely dry? Did you open up the seals or judging based on X amount of pumps it took? Asking because I haven't did mine on my 2020 but it's on my To-Do list.
Amount of pumps it took. And the noise they made prior to greasing them..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Got Timken bearings in mine - just ASSUME Timken knows how much grease is SUPPOSED to go on em.

The least amount of miles I got from a set was around 8,000 and the most was around 20,000 - guessing, but the difference was PROBABLY riding in the dry desert vs the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to order one of those bearing grease tools, does anybody know if the X3 is the same bearing size as the XC DPS 1000r or know the size of the XC?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I want to order one of those bearing grease tools, does anybody know if the X3 is the same bearing size as the XC DPS 1000r or know the size of the XC?
No, I believe your machine would use a 30mm and the X3 is a 39mm.

Since this is your first post the admins will probably put this post over to the " Member Introduction"
I would go there and introduce yourself and machine :

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, I believe your machine would use a 30mm and the X3 is a 39mm.

Since this is your first post the admins will probably put this post over to the " Member Introduction"
I would go there and introduce yourself and machine :
Thank you for your response, I posted a thread under new members introducing myself and my Mav.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts