Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone talked to Gorilla or Rhino or anyone that makes stronger axles to see if they are going to be putting out a set soon ?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Gorilla has axels ready but they are over $400 each. I have been talking with a fellow from Cobra ATV axels in Houston, I have heard Cobra Axels are just as strong or stronger (look up some of the threads on Highlifter forums) and he quoted me $275 per axel and they come with spare boots and clamps. I would give him a call. He also reply's to text messages. It sounds like a small mom and pop shop with good customer service. Last time I talked to him he was hoping to get his hands on a Mav this week to measure up the axels..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gorilla has axels ready but they are over $400 each. I have been talking with a fellow from Cobra ATV axels in Houston, I have heard Cobra Axels are just as strong or stronger (look up some of the threads on Highlifter forums) and he quoted me $275 per axel and they come with spare boots and clamps. I would give him a call. He also reply's to text messages. It sounds like a small mom and pop shop with good customer service. Last time I talked to him he was hoping to get his hands on a Mav this week to measure up the axels..
I'd be willing to haul mine down to Houston for a free set :wink:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And 400 per Axle is retarded ... $1600 for set of axles is HIGH

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pitch it to him. I think his name is Jose. He might go for that!! That way he will be able to ship mine to Canada with confidence knowing they will fit and work as they should!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Summer bros has stock length and + sizes available... they are they leader and by far the most used by the desert race crowd..They are not a sponsor but what we use because we haven't found anything better and more reasonable.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Summer bros has stock length and + sizes available... they are they leader and by far the most used by the desert race crowd..They are not a sponsor but what we use because we haven't found anything better and more reasonable.
How do you think these will hold up with 30"+ mud tires ?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Do they come with upgraded CV's or just shafts? It is more the CV's and the ability to run steeper angles without heating up the boots that the Mud guys are worried about....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wanna say I read on here somewhere that the summer bros were stronger and could handle a little more angle than the gorilla's. Also that summer bros take a little longer to brake in. And after brake in, you clean out cv boots and repack with grease. And a better warranty as well I believe.

If it can't play, it can't stay!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do they come with upgraded CV's or just shafts? It is more the CV's and the ability to run steeper angles without heating up the boots that the Mud guys are worried about....
Its just the axles, their 4130 axles are known to the best around...but I'm a desert guy and cant attest to whats the best for your application...we built special CV (using 930 CV with BRP ends welded on)for out race commander as we busted up the BRP cv's basically every race..but the Mav's CV's and axles are much more robust..and unfortunately there isn't enough room to use the 930 CV's on the Mav because the real arms are in the way..the New CV's are suppose (per BRP racing) have more articulation btw..since they are cambered rear from the factory.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Bayou, Have you looked into axels any further? How do the clearances look to run larger cv's on the Mav? Any tight spots?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wanna say I read on here somewhere that the summer bros were stronger and could handle a little more angle than the gorilla's. Also that summer bros take a little longer to brake in. And after brake in, you clean out cv boots and repack with grease. And a better warranty as well I believe.

If it can't play, it can't stay!
I have snapped 2 summer bros axle shafts in the last 2 months on my rzr-s, and more before. I will be going a different route next time. Warranty is 6months and only on certain breaks that he believes were manufacturer defects. In other words, no clean breaks. Has to be a spiral break for consideration.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gorilla,turner, cobra, and rino. No one has axles. And I'm stuck in 3 wheel drive. They all say two weeks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for the update, unfortunatly when they about 2 weeks it usually means "not this week and were not really sure when, but hopefully soon"

·
Registered
791 Posts
Gorilla,turner, cobra, and rino. No one has axles. And I'm stuck in 3 wheel drive. They all say two weeks.
The guy from Cobra told me if I gave him measurements he could make them. That might be your best bet... either ship him the broken one or measure it up for him

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm still at work till Monday. But I called a place that sells cobra axles the other day. It seemed odd, can u pm me his contact info I'll probably drive down Tuesday

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have snapped 2 summer bros axle shafts in the last 2 months on my rzr-s, and more before. I will be going a different route next time. Warranty is 6months and only on certain breaks that he believes were manufacturer defects. In other words, no clean breaks. Has to be a spiral break for consideration.

That sucks to have that happen, don't know what would break them on a Rzr-S as I don't drive one..but I have been racing on Summer Bros axles (that's 6 desert races per season to include the Vegas to Reno, Silverstate 300, Baja 500) for 2 solid years with my Commander with 0 broken axles...again this was on a custom long travel..just for comparison sakes...they are not a sponsor and I am buying them again for new Maverick racer. I have a ton of confidence in them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bayou, Have you looked into axels any further? How do the clearances look to run larger cv's on the Mav? Any tight spots?
No I havent. I'll be at work till next tuesday but Ill check when I get home and let u know

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have summers brothers axles on my commander with 6+ long travel, have over a 1000 hard glamis miles on them with zero issues. My friend runs them on his race teryx, and all the LT kits he builds and most of the companies that build LT kits use them as well.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts