Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we are getting ready to finalize plans to head out to Gordons Well for Thanksgiving 2013. Just wondering if this is a good place to ride and it if overall will be a favorable Glamis type experience? we're planning this early because it's almost 1300 miles from us. Those of you familiar with that area, please chime in and fill me in! Thank you

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Gordon's is a good place to go. I prefer Glamis, in part because I like to watch all the stupid people. And also because Gordons Well has tighter dunes than Glamis. Glamis has some awesome bowls between competition hill and Oldsmobile. Also, it's been pretty mellow at Glamis lately. In 2007 there was probably 200,000 people on Thanksgiving. This past one there was maybe 40,000-75,000. And I haven't seen any tata's in about four years! Gone are the days of people having sex on a couch as they're being pulled through the drags. :-(

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gordon's is a good place to go. I prefer Glamis, in part because I like to watch all the stupid people. And also because Gordons Well has tighter dunes than Glamis. Glamis has some awesome bowls between competition hill and Oldsmobile. Also, it's been pretty mellow at Glamis lately. In 2007 there was probably 200,000 people on Thanksgiving. This past one there was maybe 40,000-75,000. And I haven't seen any tata's in about four years! Gone are the days of people having sex on a couch as they're being pulled through the drags. :-(
What??? These are the things I heard about!??!! LOL Glamis and Gordons Well are not too far from each other are they?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It all sounds easy enough...! We might just do it all! Have a bunch of high school buddies and families headed over from Tucson/Phoenix...Its bound to be a good time!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I like Gordon's, and Glamis is right up the road. From wash 2 in Glamis, round trip to Gordons and back on the quads, was 50 something miles. Probably only about 15 or so miles from Gordon's to the drags.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You gotta go. It's an experience worth having. Just group up with people who know how to dune so you enjoy yourself and stay safe. Good rule of thumb in case you aren't sure which way to go, follow other well traveled tracks & the fastest way from point a to point b is NOT a straight line. There are a half dozen other good rules but post up before you leave and you'll get some good advice (and a ton of opinions) :)

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
i have only been to Gordons a couple times and have not liked it. its too small of an area and you get alot of traffic to watch out for. Smaller dunes and lots of sharp edges.

Glamis is great for people watching and duning the big bowls at 60mph. Lots of vendors at Glamis and even a resturant to eat at.

I have been going to Glamis sine 1998 and oh boy have i seen lots of boobies and effin crazyness. Semi trailers with bands playing, rotating stripper poles and stages on the back of flat bed trucks, topless chicks riding dirtbikes, people humping on the roof of a moving truck.......and on and on of just pure crazyness. Oh the good ol days

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh yeah, I definitely agree that Glamis is the place to go if you have e choice. If you have a bunch of kids and don't want to go big, Gordon's is fine. Glamis is the place you want to go to really experience the best of what the imperial sand dunes has to offer, especially with the power of a Mav. You will ride half way to Glamis to get to the good stuff anyway so may as well camp there!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Gordons was a lot more fun when the dunes were open. Hopefully they will open the area behind Patton Valley back up before next season. Personally if. I had a lot of kids I would go wash 22+. A whole lot less traffic down there.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate the advice. We may do both areas it looks like. Several of us families have children..so we may camp and ride out in Gordons..but dune on over to the craziness on the UTVS/Quads Ect......I have to see this...at least once in my lifetime....We are booking a few things to do in Lost Wages for a couple days on the way down too!!! This is going to be an awesome trip!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Gordons is a great family place with plenty of room for large groups and big rigs without having to worry about getting stuck. There is a restaurant/bar there, and dunes access is quick and easy. You can also ride over the bridge that goes over Interstate 8 and ride the dunes at buttercup as well. The dunes are tighter and there is more traffic due to the smaller riding area, but with a little exploring you can find yourself on a fast paced bowl to bowl ride. You can also make the ride over to Glamis on the sand hwy. Its about 21 miles from entrance of Gordons to the Ghecko loop at Glamis. Its definitely worth the ride over to Glamis for the sand drags, you will see some very high HP cars out there and some great people watching. These days we mostly camp at Glamis, but we make sure to head to the little restaurant at Gordons at least one morning every trip for bloodys and breaksfast. I can make it there and back and use only about a quarter tank of gas with the Mav, so we usually do a little duning before the ride back back to Glamis. If you have MX bikes in your camp, you will want to strap a gas can in the mav for them. When I would take my crf450 I would need about half a gallon extra to make the round trip. Wherever you end up camping, it will be worth the trip!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Sandiegojoe!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts