Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer had the UNI air filter in stock at a reasonable price so I picked one up for my Mav. No doubt the stock paper air filter is garbage, the proof is on the factory 'post' filter every time I look in the air box. If the stock paper filter worked then there wouldn't be dirt all over the 'post' foam filter. Anyhow, I've always had good luck with UNI on my dirt bikes and I'm hoping for the same on this one. The biggest drawback I see is that the filter foam is NOT removable from the rubber frame so cleaning and lubing will be more difficult and I'll be using a spray on foam filter oil. The overall 'frame' on the filter fits in the airbox perfectly and should seal up very well. I did NOT use any grease lube around the edges since I wanted to test how well the gasket seals in stock form. I cleaned and lubed the factory 'post' filter so if I do get any dust blowing by the filter I'll be able to see the proof on that filter just like I did with the factory paper filter. I plan on riding in Parker, AZ this week before the Parker 425 race and there will definitely be dust to test this thing out and I'll post up the results after. Sure hope it works as well as I expect it too, I'm not interested in more power or anything, just want good filtering to protect the engine.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My local dealer had the UNI air filter in stock at a reasonable price so I picked one up for my Mav. No doubt the stock paper air filter is garbage, the proof is on the factory 'post' filter every time I look in the air box. If the stock paper filter worked then there wouldn't be dirt all over the 'post' foam filter. Anyhow, I've always had good luck with UNI on my dirt bikes and I'm hoping for the same on this one. The biggest drawback I see is that the filter foam is NOT removable from the rubber frame so cleaning and lubing will be more difficult and I'll be using a spray on foam filter oil. The overall 'frame' on the filter fits in the airbox perfectly and should seal up very well. I did NOT use any grease lube around the edges since I wanted to test how well the gasket seals in stock form. I cleaned and lubed the factory 'post' filter so if I do get any dust blowing by the filter I'll be able to see the proof on that filter just like I did with the factory paper filter. I plan on riding in Parker, AZ this week before the Parker 425 race and there will definitely be dust to test this thing out and I'll post up the results after. Sure hope it works as well as I expect it too, I'm not interested in more power or anything, just want good filtering to protect the engine.
I also want to upgrade due to not trusting the paper filter. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the less expensive UNI filter or bite bullet and buy the Twin Air one at double the cost. I like being able to remove the foam to clean and oil it properly, but damn they're expensive!
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with either one of these choices?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was hoping the Mav filter would do the job. I'm still recovering from rebuilding the top end on my 2013 800rzr and had decided on an X xc DPS to replace it...........

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I was hoping the Mav filter would do the job. I'm still recovering from rebuilding the top end on my 2013 800rzr and had decided on an X xc DPS to replace it...........
The stock Mav filter setup works if you run the post filter. Just make it a common practice to clean it frequently and it will do a great job of stopping the small stuff from getting to your engine. I am no longer running the stock airbox setup but where I live it is extremely dusty in the summer and the silt is extremely fine. The post filter caught everything that got past the primary filter. So unless you are modifying your exhaust and want more airflow at the intake, the stock setup works fine "if you are running the post filter".

Think about it this way, the paper filter is nothing more than a pre-fiter to catch all of the larger particulates. The post filter is no different than any of the other foam filters available and has to filter a lot less dirt out of the air since the paper filter does the majority of it. So I don't see any benefit in changing to a foam filter unless you have modified the engine or have a better flowing exhaust and can benefit from additional air flow at the intake.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
As I recall, the uni wasn't sealing very good. I think there was a post or 2 post last year about this, and you'll need to use the filter grease around the edges. The only reason I don't like the stock filter, is it's $40 everytime you replace it. I got a K&N for $50.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I recall, the uni wasn't sealing very good. I think there was a post or 2 post last year about this, and you'll need to use the filter grease around the edges. The only reason I don't like the stock filter, is it's $40 everytime you replace it. I got a K&N for $50.
I remember that thread about the sealing but I only read about the one. I looked it over pretty good and it looks like it should seal excellent. Of course, I left the 'post filter' in just to be sure and it will tell me if it seals or not. If not then I'll grease the edges and run it again, then check the 'post filter' to see if it's sealed or not. Will let you all know the results next week or shortly after.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a great time riding in Parker and watching the BITD Parker 425 race, except my friends all broke early. Anyhow, while riding I made sure I got right in the dust to test the seal on the UNI air filter and it's not as good as I had hoped but it should be no problem to seal it up with some grease around the edge seals.

This picture shows some 'blow by' that went direct into the clean side, mainly on the left side. The inside of the air box lid was surprisingly clean though and the factory 'post' filter still looked perfectly clean.

DSCN1539.JPG

I removed the picture and took this picture and the dust along the left side is surprising because I think the air inlet is on the other side of the air box so that dust likely is due to a bad seal also. Anyhow, the filter is not extremely dusty overall I'd say due to the location in the cockpit of the air inlet so it looks like the edges do not seal very well and definitely need some grease.

DSCN1540.JPG

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I think the issue is too much restriction at the air inlet so the vacuum created by the engine draws air past the seal....I bet if you opened up the air box to let more air in, it wouldn't pull past the seals.....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the issue is too much restriction at the air inlet so the vacuum created by the engine draws air past the seal....I bet if you opened up the air box to let more air in, it wouldn't pull past the seals.....
That's a good possibility. Not sure how I'd open up the air flow other than remove the ducting that runs to the cockpit which would allow a lot more dirty air into the air box.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
if you aren't concerned with water (i.e. submerging it) you could modify the bottom with a large piece of the Outerwears pre filter material like they do for ATV air box lids.....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tried the UNI last year and found it leaked just like the pics above. Greased it and everything! I feel the rubber is too hard and the air bob lid too soft to make a reliable seal.

Went back to stock for now.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you could do something like either of these to the bottom of the stock air box.....which should prevent the leakage past the seal....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
On mine, I installed 8 1" UNI filtered air vents (same pieces as shown in the bottom photo directly above) on the bottom of my airbox. I have found this works pretty well to open up the airflow potential a bit.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm going to get a new air box. I don't really want to hack up the stock one for almost no gain. I already don't like the lid design and can't trust it, so why modify it?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm up for trying to modify the airbox. Will look around it tomorrow to see how much room there is to work with. I'll never get anywhere near deep enough to submerge it so I'll see what I can come up with. But all the ideas are great, keep em coming.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I'm going to get a new air box. I don't really want to hack up the stock one for almost no gain. I already don't like the lid design and can't trust it, so why modify it?
I think the air leaking buy the lid will go away if you open up the lower part of the air box.......stock setup doesn't have a large enough opening to feed the motor so it draws a vacuum in the upper air box area and pulls air in by the filter seal......

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think the air leaking buy the lid will go away if you open up the lower part of the air box.......stock setup doesn't have a large enough opening to feed the motor so it draws a vacuum in the upper air box area and pulls air in by the filter seal......
I believe you're right Heavy; this makes perfect sense. After venting my lower airbox, I have noticed very little contamination on the secondary filter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts