Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting some wisdom from you!

After a lot of comparing to the Polaris XP 1000 I've decided to buy the Maverick XRS DPS - it seems the driver position, interior execution and engineering content is superior to the Polaris (although the Polaris seems to be a bit more robust in the suspension department).

My questions -

1.) What is the best way to select/buy aftermarket tires and wheels?

2.) Should I buy the stock tires and wheels with the machine and keep them, or try to work a deal with the dealer?

3.) I drive mostly trails and asphalt in my sub - any recommendations for a good tire for that?

Thanks in advance for the help - these are crazy good machines!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting some wisdom from you!

After a lot of comparing to the Polaris XP 1000 I've decided to buy the Maverick XRS DPS - it seems the driver position, interior execution and engineering content is superior to the Polaris (although the Polaris seems to be a bit more robust in the suspension department).

!

smartest new guy ive seen post in a while !! lol

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Yea thumbs up, welcome! Try to keep your stock wheels/tires especially if there beadlocks. Many people on here wanting them.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Good advice from playdoh...Also a very versatile rim for many other tires.. The stock ones are good and cover many general uses...As for myself I use them for all riding except the dunes.. I need more speed and sand spit when at the coast.. it puts more down to the ground.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also have no doubt you should either keep the stock wheels/ tires or find a seller through this forum or Craigslist (definitely better than your dealer will offer you). Great choice on the Maverick. I also bought a 2 man XRS DPS for the same reason and am loving it so far. All evidence points to Can Am being the choice machine (especially with the few tweaks well documented here, i.e. tie rod, radius rod and gusset upgrades). Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you were to install excessories on both of these machines like winches or just anything you have to run wires or cables you will quickly see that the Polaris is not very well built. That was the thing I noticed when I helped all my friends install there stuff on all three of the 1000's. The can am is quite a few steps above the others and is the reason that's what I now own.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes deff keep your stockers, They would really be pretty good for the ridding you do, We do a lot of road ridding, everyone's first choice is still the original Big Horn!! They are hard to beat for trails/road ridding!! I would also check out Pitbull tires, they make some really nice tires as well! I've heard great things about them!! Anything you ride on the road is going to wear, some last longer than others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes deff keep your stockers, They would really be pretty good for the ridding you do, We do a lot of road ridding, everyone's first choice is still the original Big Horn!! They are hard to beat for trails/road ridding!! I would also check out Pitbull tires, they make some really nice tires as well! I've heard great things about them!! Anything you ride on the road is going to wear, some last longer than others.
Yeah, Pitbull tires are BAD A$$, but expensive!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The GBC Mongrel has been found by most of the UTV/Offroad magazines reviews/comparisons to be one of the best all around tires.. I race them...super tough..8ply and in a variety of sizes.. The ITP series of tires are also very rugged and long lasting. The 12" factory bead locks a very good wheel..but if you find you need to go to a larger diameter.. it would depend on your budget, I highly recommend looking at the new Method Bead locks in a 14"...probably the strongest wheel for the money.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was in the same boat as you on wondering what tires to run. Maybe do what I'm going to do, run with the stockers till you find out your driving style then choose your tire based off that. Besides, it's not like the stockers are cheap junk that come factory on most quads/utvs of yester-year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts