Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back yesterday from Glamis. Got there Christmas day and the place was pretty empty. With the rain hitting just before I got there it made everything nice and compact. No dust issues the entire time. The wind made everything nice and smooth in the dunes.

We had several in our group that made the trip from Texas including @tryinhard1080 on the forum. We call them the Texas turtles after the very first time we met them in Glamis several years ago. A few decided to turtle there cars that trip. LOL! No Texas turtles this trip. We did have a newbie turtle his car though. LOL!

A great group of guys and they like to dune.

Took the Texas crew down to Buttercup so they could check out the border wall and enjoy the fun of the Buttercup dunes.

Carnage for the week was 3 Polaris belts, one polaris power steering unit (Coyne in El Centro took care of that and I can not say enough how great the service and parts department at the dealership are when you need something. They try to save your trip.), and one Polaris Turbo motor after the oil drain plug somehow fell out. Also some cosmetic damage and a radiator for the car that end up on the lid. Oh and one broken axle on the RS1. One Can Am belt was lost this weekend. My buddy finally lost his belt after 3200+ miles. Those were almost entirely dune miles.

My buddy @megadesertdiesel made the switch to the darkside. He picked up a RS1 and he drives the crap out of that thing. Drifting the turns and jumping where he can. He aired it out pretty good several times. Not going to lie, they look like an absolute blast to drive in the dunes.

Lots of fuel was burned and lots of dune miles covered. I think I was around 400 miles for the 5 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ride from Wash 15 to Buttercup

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I'm pretty jealous of you guys. I'm sitting at home with about 10" of snow on the ground, wishing I was at the dunes..
Great pics. Do you have any more pics of mega new ride? How did your car work this trip?

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm pretty jealous of you guys. I'm sitting at home with about 10" of snow on the ground, wishing I was at the dunes..
Great pics. Do you have any more pics of mega new ride? How did your car work this trip?
My car worked great all weekend. Was enjoying my new rear suspension set up Tom Morris did before my trip. New set up worked awesome.

This is the only other picture I have of Mega's chrome ride. LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think you would have more fun in a RS1 then your X3?
I have not driven a RS1 yet so hard to say. I know I would miss the power of the X3 for sure in the dunes. Turbo power is hard to give up. I think if you were in a group with just RS1s in the dunes it would be super fun.

We met up with @Tmesic and did a ride with his sandrail buddies. I am pretty sure that RS1 was flogged and working really hard to maintain the speeds.

I am seriously considering getting a RS1 for my kid. Ditch the quads in the dunes and let him rip around in a RS1.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have not driven a RS1 yet so hard to say. I know I would miss the power of the X3 for sure in the dunes. Turbo power is hard to give up. I think if you were in a group with just RS1s in the dunes it would be super fun.

We met up with @Tmesic and did a ride with his sandrail buddies. I am pretty sure that RS1 was flogged and working really hard to maintain the speeds.

I am seriously considering getting a RS1 for my kid. Ditch the quads in the dunes and let him rip around in a RS1.
I think that would be smart. It would teach him a lot of car control. How old is he? I wish I had a RS1 when I was a kid. Closest thing I had to it when I was a kid was a Honda Odyssey (the good old days).

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that would be smart. It would teach him a lot of car control. How old is he? I wish I had a RS1 when I was a kid. Closest thing I had to it when I was a kid was a Honda Odyssey (the good old days).
He is almost 16, but he has been driving my X3 for several years in the desert. I think a RS1 would be better for him in the dunes because the line of sight is excellent compared to my X3. He already chases us around on his 450 quad in the dunes, but I know he has that thing pegged. In the RS1 he would have a cage and harnesses. More importantly dad can take if for a spin too. LOL!

·
Registered
293 Posts
He is almost 16, but he has been driving my X3 for several years in the desert. I think a RS1 would be better for him in the dunes because the line of sight is excellent compared to my X3. He already chases us around on his 450 quad in the dunes, but I know he has that thing pegged. In the RS1 he would have a cage and harnesses. More importantly dad can take if for a spin too. LOL!
Sounds like a good plan to me! It's a win win all away around.

I wish my daughter's were into it more. I would buy them a RS1 too.
I'm trying to talk my wife in to a new Commander XTP for her..

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Trevor would do awesome in a RS1.
He has the talent/ learning from his dad.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
912 Posts
One of my daughters is 16. She's been the primary driver of our little RZR. She does an admirable job with it but frankly it is pretty hard car to drive beyond mellow cruising. X3's and Turbo RZR's, even base models, are easier to drive in sand. I've driven an RS1 a little, and while I liked the single seat connected feeling, I thought I had to work harder to get it to do the same things as the X3. A turbo and long travel on an RS1 would probably be all it needs but that's a lot of extra money.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my daughters is 16. She's been the primary driver of our little RZR. She does an admirable job with it but frankly it is pretty hard car to drive beyond mellow cruising. X3's and Turbo RZR's, even base models, are easier to drive in sand. I've driven an RS1 a little, and while I liked the single seat connected feeling, I thought I had to work harder to get it to do the same things as the X3. A turbo and long travel on an RS1 would probably be all it needs but that's a lot of extra money.
A RS1 is a lot cheaper to buy than a X3. Lol!

He could totally drive a X3 or turbo RZR in the dunes, but they are a lot easier to get away with mistakes on line choice with the extra power. RS1 will teach him how to read the dunes better and pick lines. Same reason I did not throw him on a big quad right away. He rode a 90 for a few years and then a Raptor 250 for 4 years and been on a YFZ450R for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
962 Posts
Great pics,,,, looks like a good trip.

My buddy finally lost his belt after 3200+ miles
This is down right crazy to me! Good for him.

We had a good trip as well. Turtled my car on the first ride of the weekend. Couldn't believe it,,, never done it. Pulled a 4MPH, retard moment on a 6' high dune and ended up on my lid in the small stuff next to wash 7.!?!?!? The "ride" was over,,,we were just crawling back to our campsite through the kid-infested small stuff, and whamo.

I remember my brain registering the ass was creeping downhill faster than the rest of the car, and telling my hands to steer downhill, and my foot to stab the throttle,,, but neither happened for some reason, and we slllloowwwwlllly rolled over onto the lid and hood of the car.

My 5150 lighted whips were wrapped under the car and bent into a loop, but neither were damaged in any way. Every BD light bracket I had was bent but one, but I was able to straighten all of them. (except the shock tower light mount which is aluminum, hence toast.)

Other than that,,,, the car was perfect.

We hauled the mail the rest of the weekend without a miss-step on my part. Still not sure how I managed to turtle the car,,, never even come close in any car I've had. 🤷‍♀️

No pics or anything,,, I was dropping massive F-bombs and the top of my voice,,, so I think everyone was afraid to take pics of it. I was indeed upset with myself,,, but it's more of a stress/adrenaline release for me than anything when I do that. They didn't know that,,, so they were a bit uneasy. :whistle:

Great week in the sand!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures/pics SS.!!(y)

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pics,,,, looks like a good trip.

This is down right crazy to me! Good for him.

We had a good trip as well. Turtled my car on the first ride of the weekend. Couldn't believe it,,, never done it. Pulled a 4MPH, retard moment on a 6' high dune and ended up on my lid in the small stuff next to wash 7.!?!?!? The "ride" was over,,,we were just crawling back to our campsite through the kid-infested small stuff, and whamo.

I remember my brain registering the ass was creeping downhill faster than the rest of the car, and telling my hands to steer downhill, and my foot to stab the throttle,,, but neither happened for some reason, and we slllloowwwwlllly rolled over onto the lid and hood of the car.

My 5150 lighted whips were wrapped under the car and bent into a loop, but neither were damaged in any way. Every BD light bracket I had was bent but one, but I was able to straighten all of them. (except the shock tower light mount which is aluminum, hence toast.)

Other than that,,,, the car was perfect.

We hauled the mail the rest of the weekend without a miss-step on my part. Still not sure how I managed to turtle the car,,, never even come close in any car I've had. 🤷‍♀️

No pics or anything,,, I was dropping massive F-bombs and the top of my voice,,, so I think everyone was afraid to take pics of it. I was indeed upset with myself,,, but it's more of a stress/adrenaline release for me than anything when I do that. They didn't know that,,, so they were a bit uneasy. :whistle:

Great week in the sand!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures/pics SS.!!(y)
Those little dunes can get you. Especially in the current conditions. Back when I had a Rhino I put it on it's side in the small dunes. On the wife's side of course. LOL! Kid was sound asleep in the back seat and woke up to a sideways world. I did get long travel suspension out of that deal for safety purposes, at least that is why I told my wife we needed it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I really, really wish can am would come out with an RS1 competitor with a Turbo, or Polaris to add a factory turbo to the RS1 platform. I would buy one today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like a great trip! Missed being with the group this week….but I could have never made the trip to Buttercup, I would of ran out of fuel 3 times on that run. Hahaha

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks like a great trip! Missed being with the group this week….but I could have never made the trip to Buttercup, I would of ran out of fuel 3 times on that run. Hahaha
I've never been to Glamis. How far is it to run to the wall and back to camp? Glamis is only 40 miles long right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts