Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For AZ dunners.

With the CA dept of Ag now confiscating firewood at the border, including checking trailers now, what are you guys doing for firewood?

If anyone wants to split a load from a delivery guy, let me know.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
What are you talking about? Do I have to exchange my firewood for a UTV helmet when I cross the river now? I've not heard anything about this before.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
they sometimes ask, but the last 3 times across the border at I10 no one was there and i just motored on through. I usually haul 2x4 and 4x4 cut pieces i find laying around different jobsites.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Only found this bit of information on a CA gov FAQ site.

ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS FOR BRINGING FIREWOOD INTO THE STATE?

Like all plant material, firewood is subject to inspection for insects and disease symptoms when it arrives at our border stations—if insects or disease symptoms are found, the wood may be rejected. Because of the high likelihood of wood-boring insects being present in all shipments of firewood, travelers are strongly discouraged from moving firewood out of the local area from where it was cut. For more information visit: Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases.

So it doesn't look like they are confiscating it on the spot but they can simply inspect it for signs of bug infestations.
Do you know anyone who has had their wood taken from them at the border?

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts

Like all plant material, firewood is subject to inspection for insects and disease symptoms when it arrives at our border stations—if insects or disease symptoms are found, the wood may be rejected. Because of the high likelihood of wood-boring insects being present in all shipments of firewood, travelers are strongly discouraged from moving firewood out of the local area from where it was cut. For more information visit: Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases.

So it doesn't look like they are confiscating it on the spot but they can simply inspect it for signs of bug infestations.
ahhh, another wives tale.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My suspicion says they wont take your wood, but it just gives them the right to. I think this publicity discourages many people so then they dont have to check it as much.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was stopped and had my wood inspected :eek: on my Halloween trip, it was all mesquite that I cut myself in the desert by my house (I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for cord wood) and they let me go with it no problem. A buddy that was following me had a bed full of pine and they let him go too.

Edit: I go to glamis via I-8.

Reactions: Kilo

·
Registered
410 Posts
From what I've heard, the great state of California is concerned that we are smuggling in some unwelcome insects that like to hide in a certain kind of wood but apparently mesquite and pine don't fall under the category.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah, I think it's actually an old rule but they may be inspecting more. Has nothing to do specifically with Glamis, just California. I'll plan on hauling my own like always.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I get the best fire wood know to man. My buddy runs a skateboard factory and all his maple veneers come on pallets made from the heart of the maple tree. Once they shave them down to a certain point the veneers have too much curl to them, so they use the heart to build pallets. This stuff burns super hot and doesn't put out any airborne embers. It also come precut. Also no bugs!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Veteran day weekend crossing at I10, they did in fact confiscate. Had about 1/4 cord on the back of the truck. Gave me a receipt and told me I could pick it up going back to AZ if I wanted. They did not take the 2x4 and 2x6 scraps I had, just the cut eucalyptus I had.

They asked if they could look in the trailer, I allowed them to since they already had me stopped over to the side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Veteran day weekend crossing at I10, they did in fact confiscate. Had about 1/4 cord on the back of the truck. Gave me a receipt and told me I could pick it up going back to AZ if I wanted. They did not take the 2x4 and 2x6 scraps I had, just the cut eucalyptus I had.

They asked if they could look in the trailer, I allowed them to since they already had me stopped over to the side.

Did they give a reason for taking it such as signs of bug infestation or did they just take it and say no wood crosses the border??

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They said that eucalyptus is a known infected species. They named a couple other but was pissed and was kind of zoning out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow, no wonder there's so many people leaving Cali! What a joke your politicians are! How do these asshats get elected out there?

·
Registered
410 Posts
So you cross the border to ride?
Referring to the Cali/AZ state line where they check the firewood.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Good to know anyhow. I'll plan to haul my own pine wood to Glamis until they stop me. This stuff was cut down in my own backyard anyhow and I know there were no signs of infestation. Sits next to the house and I always keep it sprayed ever since the carpenter beetles effed up the facia boards around my patio 4 years ago. Glamis gets to be more of a pain every year.

·
Registered
459 Posts
no wonder that shit hole state is in ruins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts