Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Gibson single exit exhaust for my 21' X3 Turbo R, their website says that it will produce 93 decibels of sound. I bought a decibel meter to double check that because it seemed much louder. It read 115 db's lol. I bought a second meter (different brand) to make sure it was accurate and it read the same. I did install a cat delete pipe before hand so that may be why it's so much louder. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
It's a know fact that Gibson Exhausts are louder than any other exhaust out there, not just on SXSs, but on quads too. And they have a funky back pressure going on with them, after awhile, you might start experiencing issues. I know I did with my quad back East. I chucked it after awhile.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,276 Posts
If people like loud in certain places go for it if you want. If there is nobody around to hear it, have at it in places like dunes or desert.

But here is the bone I have to pick...

Noise is one of the biggest problems ruining the sport. I'm my area many trails go through communities and populated areas. Noise complaints are right at the top of the list of why people don't want trails running near their community. And its getting worse and worse. Even racetracks have been sued and or shut down over noise. ATV and snowmobile trails have been shut down completely or rerouted due to access noise levels. Some trails are gone forever now.

Companies are starting to finally smarten up and are trying to make exaust systems more quiet.

Its getting to the point the damn noise has to go, for the good of the sport.

Like I said earlier, 25 years ago I would have thought that loud assed exaust was awesome. I would rev up my straight piped truck at the intersection thinking I looked cool. Not realizing I looked like a total shit head. Even if you do gain 5hp or whatever who cares. You are just pissing everyone off and making us all look bad.

We need to keep these machines quiet or say bye bye to places to ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If people like loud in certain places go for it if you want. If there is nobody around to hear it, have at it in places like dunes or desert.

But here is the bone I have to pick...

Noise is one of the biggest problems ruining the sport. I'm my area many trails go through communities and populated areas. Noise complaints are right at the top of the list of why people don't want trails running near their community. And its getting worse and worse. Even racetracks have been sued and or shut down over noise. ATV and snowmobile trails have been shut down completely or rerouted due to access noise levels. Some trails are gone forever now.

Companies are starting to finally smarten up and are trying to make exaust systems more quiet.

Its getting to the point the damn noise has to go, for the good of the sport.

Like I said earlier, 25 years ago I would have thought that loud assed exaust was awesome. I would rev up my straight piped truck at the intersection thinking I looked cool. Not realizing I looked like a total shit head. Even if you do gain 5hp or whatever who cares. You are just pissing everyone off and making us all look bad.

We need to keep these machines quiet or say bye bye to places to ride.
So I took mine off and put the stock exhaust back on last weekend before we went to a riding event because they were supposed to be enforcing a "100 db limit" which I completely agree with. Turns out, they weren't actually checking anyone's exhaust and there were a ton of guys with exhausts twice as loud as mine and some even ran open headers. 95% of the time I ride on private land away from any houses so I'm not worried about annoying anyone besides my own ears lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The X3 is just loud in general when riding in there. Lots of mechanical and exhaust noise. I probably wouldn’t modify the exhaust, especially if I care about my rear passengers lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I do think it sounds good on video, I also think it is louder than I would want on my machine, especially trail and neighborhood riding.

Thanks for the video with good sound quality.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Gibson and HMF are annoyingly loud !!!

Reactions: aaronedmonton
1 - 15 of 15 Posts